Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! My doodle, Shelbe, is 2 years old and I thought it was time I join the forum. I have gotten wonderful advice on this forum. I need to elaborate on the prior topic of the smelly doodle. Shelbe has a bit of an anal gland problem too. He was previously on California Natural Lamb and Rice and only needed "cleaning out" periodically during the year. I switched him to Merrick Pet food after all the recalls and he needs to go to the vet almost monthly. Help! The previous message said something about switching foods. Please let me know what foods you are all using that don't have this problem. My vet tech suggested plenty of fiber too - such as carrots and adding Metamucil to his food. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks and I'll get pictures posted so you can see my sweet "little boy" Shelbe.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Hi and welcome! Many of us here on the forum are using Canidae. Sandy has no problem with it and I've never had to clean out his glands... yet, LOL. Of course he isn't quite 6 months old yet!

:)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI MYDOODLE...nice to meet you and welcome.

i've never had any problems with max and anal glands yet
We serve CANIDAE food to our 2 doodles

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Welcom Mydoodle!!!! Raleigh and Molly are both on Canidae...All Life Stages....and neither dog has had any anal gland problems...thank heavens!!! Good luck!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
mydoodle said:
Do you use lamb and rice, chicken and rice, or the three-protein formula?
the ALL LifE STAGES it's the green and beige bag

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Hi and welcome

Being a retired vet tech and Dog groomer ,I had always heard once you start expressing the glands you have to continue it, Im not sure it has much to do with the food ,,unless of course you have inconsistant poop,
hopefully im wrong and its just a old wives tail, although i think a vet told me that
good luck,,beautiful btw :)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Canidae here also, Hey I think as much as we advertise for them we should get a kick back... :lol: :lol:

A lot of dogs have allergies to foods corn is a big one it caused gracielou to itch like crazy and her ears smelled bad, we were feeding Proplan then she is the reason we switch foods. I love Canidae all the dogs and puppies eat it really well and you feed less.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hello and welcome! Nice picture of your dog running through the tunnel! Is he into agility, or just likes tunnels? LOL Seriously, we want to get our dogs started in agility so I like to hear about success stoies. Diane is starting Dakota soon too and I know that Linda D. trains her dogs in agility. Looks great!
Now, add my voice to the Canidae vote! That's what we use, although we have tried many, many, MANY other things so, like Nancy, I don't know if there is a true connection.
I don't feed raw but from those who do, I hear nothing but rave reviews of the "poop factor"...and the overall general good health of the dog.
As much as dog food costs now, I may give raw a try. My problem is that I am feeding so many dogs, but if I had only one, I'd feed it. There are many books about it, one of the main theories of feeding raw is the BARF diet.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I use Canidae also.....I was so impressed with the product that I switched my cat to it too! They all are SO shiney and healthy looking! I use the fish, lamb, chicken combo- all stages. My Doodle started with a bit of an anal gland thing at about 1 yr. old. She smelt fishy and was licking her but like crazy. I took her out side, cleaned her out and have to do it every 3-4 months. Outside of Canidae we only feed her Scooby snacks and about a half cup of a chicken/rice/pea&carrot mixture with 2 tsp. of Missing Link added. If everyone else doesn't have much of a problem with Canidae, perhaps the small amount of extras I add contribute to the gland squeezing that I have to do? Then again... I don't know that every3-4 months is a problem?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I feed nutro natural and have NEVER expressed anal glands. ewwwww :)

on the other end my mother feeds beneful and hasnt either.

I have friends that feed kirkland chicken and have never either.

maybe stinky is genetic? or as nancy said once you start thats it.

sorry I dont know more on this subject.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Dexter has had his expressed by the vet 4-5 times. However this last time we went to get them checked the vet said they were only half full and it seemed he was starting to do it himself. This is after we have had him on an allergy formula food (duck and potato) for the past 2-3 months. Since we did the food switch his anal glands haven't needed to be expressed. I was a fan of canidae, but it didn't help his allergy problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you everyone for your input. I really appreciate it. We will make a switch to Canidae and hope for the best with consistent poops. I did notice a little difference from California Natural to Merrick with softer poops and the vet tech felt he wasn't having hard enough stools to express the glands himself so it can't hurt to try something different. The food may not completely solve the problem, but hopefully it helps! Might be some genetics too - who knows.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hello and welcome to you and Shelbe! Sessa's not the only oddball... we feed our doodles Eagle Pack lamb meal and rice formula and we are very happy with it. It also scored high on that food rating list. Does anyone have that link handy? Anyway, good luck with your choice and I hope it makes a difference for Shelbe.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
you know it always interests me how each dog can do different on each food. I had a white standard that did the best on solid gold. Our dane thrived and California Natural and our f1 after having to do the duck and potato to settle his tummy ended up doing the best on nutro natural sensitive stomach. its frustrating til you find that one best food, but so rewarding once you do!

corn certainly seems to be a culprit but I have a lab that raids the corn field or trash for cobs and has no ill effects whatsoever! (he is the only dog I know not bothered by corn!)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Well...I am going to have to confess that I have switched from Canidae to Merrick. I have compared the ingredients and I don't see much difference. Tanner has 1/2 as many stools on Merrick and they are much firmer...Sorry guys, but that is what our experience has been. We are feeding him the Wilderness blend. :? :? :shock:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts