Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am sure the answer to your question will involve a lot of personal opionion... but if you could describe more of what you are looking for in a dog including the imp. of an allergy friendly and low shedding dog, size of dog, look you perferr ect... people may be able to better anwser your question.
Good luck with you search for answers
Terri Lynn

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Michelle and welcome!
Molly (Terri Lynn) is right...this is a very subjective question. You will get answers all over the map on this one!
It really does depend on what you are looking for. For instance, if you want a less expensive dog, F1 is the first consideration, multigen the last...but if you go further and want other traits, most often involving coat quality, the higher the generation, the more likely you are to get what is referred to as low-non shedding or low-non allergenic. Now, keep in mind, please, that no dog is completly non shedding or non allergenic...but the more Poodle (and sometimes other dogs) in the mix, the more likely you will get the coat that Labradoodles are known for.
F1 dogs have great personalities and, in my opinion, are among the most healthy. Why? Because when you breed two DIFFERENT breeds, you are more likely to bypass some of the genetic problems in each breed.
But, sometimes you get dogs that can have the same genetic disposition and in Labradoodles, one of the most troublesome is hip dysplasia...so, (especially if you are looking at F1 and F1B dogs) you need to carefully select the breeder to be sure that he/she is testing the breeding stock before allowing the dogs to breed.
I hope that this helps...there is so much more to consider, but I think that this is a good start.
You are doing a good job to research this issue...I suggest that you continue to research until you feel confident that you understand what to look for in a breeder and in your puppy...we are here to help, so, please ask!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi Michelle,
It depends on what you are looking for. Do you or someone in your home have allergies? Do you want a softer, curly, more fleecy coat or the flat, "wash and wear" coat of many F1s? If you do a search for coat types on this site you can find lots of posts on the subject, but it really comes down to personal preference. I don't think one is better than the other.

I can tell you why we chose an F1. My family and I were genuinely torn about whether we should get a Lab or a Poodle. So a labradoodle, with its good looks and personality seemed like a no-brainer. We have no allergy considerations and we are a very active family and boat and fish often so our breeder suggested the F1 because they generally need less grooming than an F1b or multigen. Our LD, Sawyer's coat happens to be more on the wavy, Poodly side than some f1s, but I have seen f1s that look like Labs with a beard and a mustache. It is part of the Labradoodle charm that there is variation.

Welcome to the forum and good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got an F1

Thank you all for your replies. Trax is our new addition and is apricott, cream and red. He is a labradoodle and has longer hair like a poodle only not as curly. He is four months old. I have another question. One of the 12 pups in his litter was brindle. She was georgous but I never saw or heard of that before. The breeder said it was extremely rear and in all her many years of breeding she has never had one. Does this mean there is another breed in the blood line somewhere?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Brindle...I have heard of it quite a bit when people breed Labradoodles...so I suppose that it may be rare, but not impossible...I don't really understand the color genetics much, but I think that Maureen does and she can probably help out here.
Also, there is a find Labradoodle breeder who posts all kinds of good info on her web site, and she is very informed about coloring: www.westwoodlabradoodles.com
You will probably find info about brindling on her site.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts