Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am the very proud Mama of an adorable "sweet lamb". She came home last night at 8:30 pm after a day of car rides starting at 10:00 am., and an air flight.

She is a darling. Very submisive. Follows us everywhere. Loves my boys. She is perfect for us. She had a rough night. She went in her crate ok at about 10.00 but woke up at midnight and finally pooped (outside! we were very proud). Well she cried the rest of the night. I told here to be quiet and when she quieted I let her out. We played (she actually fetched for me) and slept on the floor with her. We both got a glorious 2 hours until my husband woke up at 6:00am to start his day.

All day today (only when we are home) she whined and cried. Is this your basic home-sickness? We walked to the bus stop (on the leash she did so well) I took her to my moms. She did great in the crate in the car.
When we got home she cried. We picked up my boys at school she did fine. To the vets...fine. But every time we are inside at home she whines. I can't help but love her.. and well hug her and hold her. That is how you treat a baby right? Or have I begun the beginning of a behaviour problem.

Gotta love a baby!

Karen

·
Registered
853 Posts
Hi and welcome. Your new puppy sounds adorable. I have to say that I learned from Cesar Millan, the Dog Whisperer (he's on the National Geographic Channel) that when you nurture a behavior, you are encouraging it, whether it is a behavior you want or a behavior you don't want. So we should only give affection when they are doing a behavior that we want. You are right to only let her out of the crate when she quiets down. You can give her treats when she is doing a behavior that you want and tell her good girl to encourage that behavior. I hope this helps a little. Keep us posted on your new baby and we would love to see pics too. :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Are you as overwhelmed am I am? I just got my Austin yesterday as well. He is 9 weeks old. Guess Im just not used to a lil guy following me around everywhere I go. I find myself sneaking around from room to room so he doesn't wake up. Or else I feel like I can't get anything done. He is so cute though I don't stay irritated for to long. I surely cant wait til he is old enough to go outside and to the parks. I feel like we are stuck inside.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Kim,
I understand the whole concept of behavior modification and agree whole heartedly. I just wasn't comfortabe not nurturing an 8 week old puppy going through separation from her pack. Daisy's whining has subsided quite a bit today and she actually barked a few times. She also is alot perkier. She often whines when she needs to go potty so she has me taking her outside quite a bit. Sometimes when I get to her spot and sit in my chair on the patio she just sits under my chair. It is a learning process right now for all of us. I think will begin to ignore her whining a little more when I have her potty signals down a little better.

Hi Christina,

I understand why you feel overwhelmed. I have had perfect training for this experience though. I have 2 boys 7 and 5. My older one at 2 years old was diagnosed very high functioning / borderline autistic. Hence behavior modification was key in his speech therapy and learning from very early on. My second son joined our family shortly after that and well he was,(and sometimes still is quite a handfull!) He just recently started sleeping through the night. For me, waking up every 2 hours just brings back old memories and I know that the time flies by in a blink of an eye and those tiny babies just grow just too fast!

But yes I am exhaused and I look a mess and my house is a mess and I tip toe through the house to try to get things done. But she is so cute!

Hang in there! You will use this puppy raising experience of feeling overwhelmed and exhausted in the future when you are feeling overwhelmed and exhausted and it will help you!

Karen.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Congratulatons Karen and Christina! Nothing better (or more work) than a new puppy!

Karen, I agree with you...when an 8 week old puppy is missing his or her littermates, a lot of loving is in order! Soon she will bond with you and won't feel so lonesome.

You can also buy a snuggle puppy! They are stuffed dogs with heartbeats and a warming pack...they really help small puppies when they are left alone. http://www.snugglepuppys.com/ or

http://www.puplife.com/cgi-bin/plugins/ ... YAodqmBEpA

I have also read about dog lullaby recordings that soothe dogs...I love the concept! I hope that this link works, it may not because it is through my personal login to Amazon...http://www.amazon.com/Canine-Lullabies- ... B00068RDMY but the title is Canine Lullabies by Terry Woodford. The reviews are good.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I agree Karen. I don't think it will hurt to give lots of love and attention to the puppy to make her feel secure in her new home. I think you will know when it's time to stop nurturing a behavior that you find is unacceptable. I was just talking generally. So many people nurture an unwanted behavior for years without realizing it. Can't wait to hear more about her. :D

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
That is true, Kim...and you are right that most of the trainers caution against it...but I also agree that we (as parents) know when the time has come to change tactics...you are a wise doodle mom!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone,

Daisy did great last night. I tried setting her crate in my boys room ( I often sleep there too) but she whined. We both moved to the playroom. I put her crate on the block tabe and I got the sofa. We were litterly face to face. Absolutely no whining. She woke up like clockwork every two hours, went potty and went back to sleep in her crate. The whole family was happy. She is so happy this morning. I think we are over the hump. :D

·
Registered
853 Posts
That's great Karen! That's just how it went for us when we brought Doc home too. In fact, the first few nights, my son stuck his fingers in the crate when Doc whined and that helped settle him down.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I'm so happy for you that things are working out so well! Your puppy is adorable! She looks alot like my Doc, only I got him when he was 12 weeks old so he was considerably larger. They sure grow fast!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts