Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How have any of you gone about finding a groomer? None of my teachers or older friends have dogs that require grooming like Napa does. We just got him back from Petsmart, and it was the last straw. I've never seen a dog cut the way he has been.

They SHAVED the part of his head between his eyes.... as in down to skin shaved. He looks like he has a backwards unibrow. It's horrible. And he looks like a poodle, despite being told he's a labradoodle, not a poodle, and we don't want him to look like a poodle. We didn't even say we wanted his eyes cut, because we knew they would take too much off if we said anything. We just wanted his face trimmed and his snout to be cut back a bit.... yup, there's like nothing left there either. It's crazy. I can't wait for it to grow out....

So, I guess its time to find a groomer other than Petsmart. I like the idea of getting him scissor cut in the future, when his hair grows more. And I don't think our Petsmart does that. So any ideas as to how to find a decent groomer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
yes call some places via phonebook, next go visit and watch them grooming dogs.

also, if you see anyone with a dog with a great cut ask the owner where they got it done.

we were lucky in that a client of Dave's has a goldendoodle and referred us to their place.
Petsmart also charges $15more than where i go plus they did a lousy job on max over a year ago. never again

Lastly, i really do this too: i tell them to give an overall 1 1/4 cut, no shaving paws or face and if i get back a dog that lookslike a poodle in show or a taco bell dog, then i will give them a haircut when i get back.
works every time :D

·
Registered
448 Posts
The local technical community college teaches pet grooming, which means they need dogs to groom. The students work under an instructor and it's wonderful! I've had Nicky groomed there several times and the "donation" is only $25 for bathing and haircut! It would be less for a smaller dog.

They are very willing to please dog owners. I take with me a copy of these grooming instructions:
http://idog.biz/QuickDownloads/Professional Groomer Inst.pdf
I also ask for the least scented shampoo they have and no perfumes, please, because they will make me sneeze.

I'd planned to call for an appointment, but before I did, I was pleasantly surprised last week to get a phone call asking if I wanted to bring Nicky in for grooming. He's on the schedule for Tuesday morning!

So, if there's a school or college in your area that teaches grooming, don't be afraid to try it out!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Sandy looks enough like a poodle already that I was terrified if I sent him to a groomer he'd come back with the poodle-'do. I wound up buying clippers and I do it myself. I give him a 1" cut all over, and 1 1/2" on his head and I think he looks great. Check this thread for pictures

http://www.labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/ ... php?t=6076

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
awwh...poor Napa!!

The difference between Petsmarts is insane! We love the one near us, but wound up with Dexter having shaved paws, somewhat short body, and a long head when we took him to a different one last year :shock:

Do you live anywhere near Jac? Maybe she could suggest a place?

My only other suggestion is to try something like Angie's List...I don't know if your area is available, but I can search for reviews on services for NJ.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
And with Petsmart, they have a big turnover at mine, so my cousin and I invested in two pairs of clippers , and help each other out! Now i don't have to worry about anyone doing Jonah's bangs......except my cousin, and I won't let her do it either!! :roll:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I really lucked out with my groomer. She used to be a vet tech at my vets office so I knew she was wonderful with dogs... and she's willing and able to do any kind of cut or trim you ask for. She also charges only $50 for the whole shebang... nails, bath, anal glands, cut and blow dry. I love her.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I read on another post about doodle romps in your area...other doodle owners are a great way to find good groomers :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts