Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post. I was so happy to find this forum. My Lilly was 1 in February and is a very active little girl. We want to protect her with a fence however I am a first time doodle owner and am not sure of some of the traits. Are Doodle's jumpers? Should I use a fence higher then the standard 4 foot model? Second question, we considered invisible fence, but I am a bit apprehensive. I guess I don’t trust anything I can’t see. It seems to work for others in the neighborhood, but I’m afraid she will get through it. Any thoughts or suggestions from the seasoned Doodle parents would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Well, I'm not a seasoned doodle owner, but I'll throw in my thoughts anyway :) Around here I don't worry about the dog getting OUT of the invisible fence, I worry about everything else getting in! But we have a huge coyote problem... I'm planning on doing my fence this year - I'll be doing 8ft along the back and 6ft on the sides. My concern is that an agile doodle could easily scale the 4ft fence. I know Annmarie's Peanut probably could, and she's just a few months old!

Good luck, and Welcome to the board! :)

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We have a 5 ft fence. However Dexter is also not a climber and wouldn't even try to get out of his little 1.5 foot tall indoor fence :) I guess it depends on your dog. I'm not a huge fan of the electric fences, but I know many people really like them.

Can you show us a photo of Lily? :)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Why NOT to cosider electric fence

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/RUFUS.HTM

that being said the dogs can run right thru it, and other dogs can come in yard and attack your dog
IMO not safe at all

the safest i have found is chainlink,i know its expensive but,,in the long run safer
we have used other fencing if you do that but wire under the bottom to deter digging and pushing the fence out

4ft should do ok,, 6ft would be more secure

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I just did a 6' chain link. My neighbors have a 4 1/2 foot wood fence, and Jonah's back feet clear it when he jumps straight up from a still standing position. So far he hasn't figured out he could clear it! I would go 6' chain link to be safe. :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
from what I Have seen with friend's dogs of all kinds and also been told, along with seeing max jump 5.5ft straight up in the air.

5 to 6ft tall fences should be the standard height for larger dogs. Like Labradoodles, Goldendoodles like Peanut, Labs, Great Danes, Rottweilers, Standard Poodles, Shepards and so on.

think about it ...if your dog can easily jump 5ft...then what would stop them from jumping and/or climbing out of a 4ft high fence???Or at least that is what happned here when Peanut was only 9 weeks old!

Dave's previous dog was was a Yellow Lab, Shepard MIX...he would push a concrete block to use to get over a 4ft tall fence. Smart? or just bored and found something new to do?

When dogs get bored it is amazing what they can figure out to keep themselves occupied or get out of the fenced area.

For me, I am doing the underground wired fencing soon. There is pros and cons to all types of fencing. SO instead study your yard and what suits both you and your dogs lifestyle preferences. A fenced in area for me is not optimal due to my layout....invisible fencing is better. BUT i will have to be good with the training and layout design of it. ANY animal can get in any type of fencing. For me on 6 acres

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
We have a standard 4 foot farm type fencing. Cinnamon has never tried to jump it or climb it. She jumps the baby gate inside, but not the fence outside, even though I know she could easily do it. We also have a coyote problem and I like the extra protection a regular fence brings. An invisible fence wouldn't work for us.

I have seen dogs run through the invisible fencing to get to something and be afraid to go back through it to home. I know it's up to the dog, but that's another factor to think about.

Good luck!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
wow coyotes!!

Like i sad before, each doodle parent has to THINK Of their own personal situation and act accordingly. Some have rattlesnakes, coyotes...others have raccoons, deer , and such.

Some can do doggy doors others can't due to critters or the house entrances/exits aren't doggy user friendly.

for me the best would be to have a smaller fenced off area along with invisible fencing so when we're out doing work or at the pool they can be with us without worries.

Some dogs come when called....others test our shouting abilities or creativity at times hahahaa

Some dogs jump, climb others stay put.

·
Registered
122 Posts
We just got our invisible fence this month and we and Bailey LOVE it.

There is some training involved, but the manual has a step-by-step instructions on how to train your dog to it.

She liked to wander off to the neighbors to 'do business' or visit if they were in their yard or garage. She would not stop and come back when called. So, we had to go fetch her (and clean up her mess) and apologize. Fortunately, both neighbors are friendly.

So, we had to keep her on a leash in the yard :( , or go drag her back home.

Now, she can RUN and PLAY 'free' and still be contained in the yard. We're always in the yard with her so we're not worried about other animals/critters getting into our yard.

This was the best purchase we've made for Bailey.

Read up on them though. The one we got is WIRELESS and works on radio signals. It only works in a circle (but the size of the circle is adjustable), so make sure that will work with your property layout.

The shock is adjustable and one of the lowest settings works fine for Bailey. The collar beeps when she gets close to the boundary before it gives a shock. The shock is just to get their attention, it is not to electrocute them. (and Yes, I tried it on myself). BTW, if they DO run through the boundary, the shock stops after 30 seconds. They, can then cross back into the boundary without a shock and it is automatically reset.

And, actually, sometimes Bailey goes outside without the collar on, but she now automatically stops at the invisible boundary.

The step-by-step training plan was for 14 days, but Bailey learned much quicker.

We and Bailey BOTH love the FREEDOM that it gives her now!!

YMMV

1 - 9 of 9 Posts