Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! We have had Boyd (b/c he looks like a Boyd's Teddy Bear) for just under two weeks now and I am feeling SO overwhelmed! Please tell me this is normal! I took last week off to get him acclimated and now I feel so bad that I'm at work and he's at home in the crate. I do have a person coming in mid-day to play with him and feed him, etc.

Boyd is a very smart, sweet dog. Sleeps all night and is very curious about everything! The biggest issue right now is is biting and what I hope is "play growling." When I try to correct him by gently popping his nose or holding his muzzle and saying "NO BITE" he thinks it is a game.

Also, Boyd learned very quickly how to go up stairs but then I read puppies shouldn't do that b/c they are still forming their joints, etc. What is correct? Now I am carrying him down and up the deck stairs when I take him out to play, pee and poop.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I let my 11 week old go up and down the steps. She just learned how to go down. We have about 5-6 steps from the deck down to the yard, and she doesn't seem to be having any problem with them.

I understand your feelings! Puppies are so much work, absolutely everything they do has to be monitored and taught. We've had Kenai for 4 weeks now, and I must say it IS getting a little easier each week. She is learning the rules, slowly but surely.

I really look forward to 10:00 because that is when we put her to bed, much like when my kids were small! It gives us a little while to relax.

Kenai is also in her crate during the week days. I've noticed that she sleeps a lot on the weekends anyway, so I don't think it's a big problem. I do have a small TV I keep on in her room to keep her company during the days.

Hang in there! It's worth it. Every time I get a kiss, or when she plops down right on my lap, I realize how much!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hang in there - it does get better! We have had Josie now for almost 5 months. She has stopped doing many of the things she did when we first brought her home (chewing, biting, etc.). However, as she has grown, we face new challenges - like getting into the trash or not coming when she is called!

You will find a lot of great advice on this forum for each stage of Boyd's development (not to mention - great people!). And you'll find folks that are in the same overwhelmed state you are!! I would suggest checking back often, reading through the old posts and asking questions.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Hi LAM!
I know exactly how you are feeling! Bella is close to 5 months old and is now teething. We also have had to work on 'no bite' and she does STILL think it is a game. My trainer assures me it is a puppy thing and will get better. What made things worse is our two neighbors also got puppies at the same time and they are the calmest, non-biting dogs ever. :lol: As for the stairs, I also read that about not letting them do stairs, so I was carrying her up and down like you, but then I also read that EVERY TIME you carry your puppy, you are teaching her to be afraid of something. So I decided, (since it was easier for me and my back :D) to let Bella learn the steps.
I was stressed out multiple times about Bella and her nipping, even to the point where I cried and told my husband I thought she needed to be returned. Since we adopted her from a rescue group as a puppy, I did not know much about her parents. The trainer at puppy preschool did a test with her (I guess it was an temperament test?)and pronounced her a 'GREAT DOG' and said I have nothing to worry about.
I was very relieved and even though she still nips, I am reassured that this will pass and is 'normal puppy behavior.'
I also have tried to walk her more often and it has helped tremendously. A short morning walk (20 minutes) and a longer evening walk (45 minutes to an hour).
Hang in there and come here to vent and be reassured!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Overwhelmed is NORMAL! It will pass. It's the reason why Jac and Maureen and all the other breeders on this site are so insistent that you really think seriously before you adopt a puppy. Even when you do, like I'm sure you did and like I did before I got TWO at the same time, you still have times when you just get tired of the work and wonder why you made the crazy decision to get a pup.

If you look back at old posts on this site you'll see that lots of people have even said having a puppy is harder than having children. And though that shocked me at first, now I totally agree. Your babies don't eat your sofa or make you bleed with their tiny sharp teeth!

However, they also grow up so much faster than babies and before you know it the intensity of this early time will pass, and then you'll miss your puppy days! I had a day once with mine when I told my husband I was going to take a nap and when I woke up I expected him to have taken the puppies back where they came from! I was exhausted and ready for a break. Then when I woke up I was so happy to get those sweet puppy kisses again....

Hang in there. You're doing great. Take a break and use the crate when you need it. And visit here often. Doods are very special and worth the effort.....

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
What you are feeling is very normal...having a puppy can be a strain on your energy and your resources!

Just when you think you have had all you can take, your baby will do something so adorable that you won't be able to resist a big hug and kiss...much like infant children, puppies are learning every day. In fact, they learn so fast it is amazing...therefore sometimes we forget that they dont' understand our language, our emotions, our disgust at some of the things they do/eat!

You will get through this and it will be fine, but you do need to remember that patience and persistence are the keys to success.

If you are not yet in puppy kindergarten, find a class...you and your puppy will love it! Then don't let up on the training...train every single day, without fail...at least 10-15 minutes a day, and if you can swing it, twice a day is good.

Make every good thing that your puppy does an opportunity to praise and treat...soon, your pup will learn how to please you and that is really what they want to do. YOu just need to show him how.

Be sure to exercise him a lot at night when you get home too...I am very glad that you have someone coming in during the day to work with him...that is a great gift!

Hang in there, it may get worse with some issues, but in general, if you continue to love, train and guide him your pup will learn to be the kind of pet you want him to be.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the support!

OMG! Thank you all for the words of encouragement! We had such a great night with Boyd! :) He was so adorable and playful and we found that saying "ouch" and leaving the room when he bites is having the desired results. His little eyes are so adorable!!

I did have the pleasure of stepping in his pee this a.m. in the kitchen though... :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
And eventually you forget all those overwhelming moments and next thing you know you're getting a second one and all the memories come flooding back! But they are worth it in the long run...I say this as Archie is running off with my shoe.

The work now really does pay off.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Overwhelmed

I am thankful to each and everyone of you, as I too have had moments of
thinking , What have I gotten myself into. I have bite marks up and down my arms and legs from my dear sweet Denver. (11 weeks old) When my husband tells him no, he listens so much better to him than me. But every once and a while he is starting to listen to me,(few and far between)so I know to continue to be consistent and maybe one day:) And then Denver will fall into my arms and give me lots of puppy kisses and I just melt. Anyway it is so good to hear all the other stories as it makes me feel that I am not such a failure and that one day Denver will be listening to his Mom. Thanks guys

Blueteal

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi LAM!

As everyone else mentioned, being overwhelmed is totally normal. I remember feeling so happy when Banjo took naps during the day - finally, 20 minutes of peace!!

Anyway, one thing that we found was absolutely indispensable was a playpen for our puppy. It is a series of metal gates that make an octagon on the floor about 6 feet in diameter (can octagons have diameters? You get the idea). It is about 3 ft high, though you can get them in different heights.

This gave Banjo more room to hang out with us or play while we were doing things (cooking, etc.) without being in a crate and without us constantly having to monitor her *every* *single* move. It was ideal for keeping her from chewing/getting into trash/running around unattended while we were busy, and allowed us to not let her form bad habits while we weren't watching or able to correct her. Give it a try if you want! It is excellent for your sanity!

-Robyn

·
Registered
689 Posts
Right now I find walking around my house a challenge. We have 3 baby gates set up to keep Archie confined to the kitchen and family room where we can monitor his every move...and give Chester a break from this crazy puppy from time to time. I feel like a hurdler just going out to the garage! My kids and husband have no problem with this...they are all tall...I'm only 5'1"!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
We also have baby gates up to confine our 7 & 4 month old doodles, Lani and Toby. We all have taken our turns getting hurt or falling over (me) the gates! There are days I wonder what I was thinking when I picked up Toby in June! since we already had a 6 month old doodle :? I would not change a thing, I/we love them both and they wear each other out. Right now they are laying tail to nose in the back hall peacefully sleeping, life is good! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Gates

Chesterpal, I hear ya! I am just under 5 ' 3" so I am hurdling over baby gates myself. We have the kitchen blocked off so Boyd can run around and explore. Last night he found the moulding so we'll have to watch that. He also likes to watch my husband cook which is the cutest thing. He sits on his little haunches and cocks his head.

BTW, even though I've taken Boyd out several times after work to do his business, the last few nights he's peed in the kitchen w/in half hour of coming in. I guess puppies will be puppies and the newness of his expanded play space is still exciting.

I did catch him right in the middle last night and picked him up and took him directly outside so hopefully he'll catch on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts