Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that feed raw.....what are some examples of things you would pick up at the grocery store? I have done chicken parts and beef bones, and I do commercial raw patties (way expensive!). Have you ever fed the pigs feet or lamb necks? Both of these are already split (cut into chunks or in half) in the store, is that OK? Just looking for more variety for my girls, any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I alternate a commercial raw diet with meat form the butcher, usually stuff marked down because its best before date is getting close. This week i gave them turkey wings, chicken thighs, chicken wings, and chicken back, beef liver, some whole fish, ground beef and tripe.

Here is a list of commercial diets from another forum, some are less expensive than others:
http://www.justlabradors.com/forum/inde ... 347.0.html

And a list of foods that people have tried:
http://www.justlabradors.com/forum/inde ... 356.0.html

I try to go to a butcher shop or farmers market over a standard grocery store, you get better prices. Most people can have their food average out to under 0.75-1$/lb. I have a butchers that will set aside the breast bones and attached meat from when they debone chicken breasts, i have them add some more meast to make it 50% meat/50% bone and grind it for me, cheap since its half scraps.

There is a tonne of stuff you can read on the internet on various permutations of raw, and I am by no means an expert with making it balanced, which is why we use a commercial ground product for 50% of their meals, so i know at least part of it is balanced.

One tip, its its all chicken based, your dog gets iron deficiency. If its all beef, you get vitamin A deficiency. You have to include bones, either whole or ground to watch calcium and ohosphorus ratios. Also tripe is usually super cheap, since its a scrap meat for a butcher, i have a guy gring it and freeze it in 3 lb bags.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much!

The list on that other link was great! I also didn't know that the butcher could grind the bones for you.... that's great because I've wanted to make my own patties. Although I've got say that it is amazing what chewing on those bones has done for my 4 yr old poodle's teeth! She used to look like she was a 2 pack a day smoker...her teeth were all brown. Now they are beautiful (just a little tartar at the top). Thanks again for your help!

Does anybody know about the split necks or feet...do you think it is OK if they are cut?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I havent tried necks, but i always try to make sure the bones it big enough that they have to chew it up, if the piece is pre cut too small, they may try to eat it witout chewing and cause a blockage. That why I give ribs if they are left large, but not it they are cut into "human" size small pieces.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
KingstonTodd said:
I havent tried necks, but i always try to make sure the bones it big enough that they have to chew it up, if the piece is pre cut too small, they may try to eat it witout chewing and cause a blockage. That why I give ribs if they are left large, but not it they are cut into "human" size small pieces.
Me Too! I eat the small ribs :D however for me I cook em :shock:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts