Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What age is the right time to switch from 3x/day to 2x/day feeding? And should the total amount of food per day stay the same (i.e. more food in dish less frequently), or same amount of food per serving, less times per day? - i.e. total amount to food drops as well as the frequency of feeding.

I HOPE this makes sense...... :shock:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner is so uninterested in his food that he still had AM kibble left for PM...we just free feed but give him some chicken, tuna, egg, or beef in AM mainly because he goes to daycare and I want him to eat something before he goes. Then when he gets home he will eat his kibble..eventually :?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I free feed my standard poodle. He just grazes whenever he's in the mood and keeps at a healthy weight. Poodles though are known to have tummy problems if they gorge themselves, so I try to make sure he never gets so hungry he feels the need to gulp or overfeed.

My Labs on the other hand would eat until they couldn't support their own weight on their legs anymore if I did that with them. So even though they're 5 yrs old, they still get fed twice a day.

I think you need to let the dogs behavior toward food dictate what you do for them. They're as individual as we are, and what works for one might be very unhealthy for another. If they still seem hungry at each of the feedings, I wouldn't cut back to fewer yet. If they start to show less interest at one time or another, you might follow their lead and cut that one out. If they eat all the food you offer and are at a healthy weight, there's no reason to cut back on the amount. If they're getting fat you should cut back.

You don't want to be able to SEE their ribs... or feel them when you rub a flat palm over them, yet you do want to be able to feel them if you place your fingers on their side and press in a bit.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your advice.

Here's the twist, however: Dex was just a picker until the other day. I was running low on his kibble, so I mixed in some of the canned stuff that I had on hand, never having done that with him before. He INHALED it, right down to a finely polished metal bowl. **** and span. Whenever I'd give him just kibble, he'd ultimately finish it, most of the time, but it would take quite a while.

Soooooooooo....which is better for him? - straight kibble as he was having, or mixing in some canned food along with it?? What do most of you do?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi,

Dante is also not very interested in food and we let him free feed all day. I have mixed in canidae canned food with his dry when I felt he needed more weight and he did eat more eagerly but in the end was not eating any more dry food than normal - just the same amount of dry plus some canned. I don't give the the canned very often as I think it can lead to more build up of stuff on his teeth and I don't think he needs it.

Heather

·
Registered
985 Posts
When I took Chouette to the vet's for her first exam right after we got her at ten weeks, he advised me to switch from three half-cup feedings a day per Maureen's schedule to two one-cup feedings. I thought that was a bit early but I followed through. Chouette is not that interested in her food and will often leave some of it. I don't know if that's because I'm giving her too large a portion too infrequently, or what. Today I tried giving her some at noon as well as at 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. to see if that made any difference, and she only ate a little bit. She just about finished it at dinner.

We only leave it down for about ten minutes and then pick it up, to avoid grazing and try to get her to eat everything at once. That's always worked with our Danes, even the last one who wasn't that interested in food as a puppy. And if you do that it's easier to get them to eat any medicine that you need to add to the food.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Usually around 5 mos of age I cut them back to twice a day but the same amount of food. If Dex likes the mixed food so well, why not try just putting a little bit of it in with his dry kibble to give it that good smell :) You don't want to just feed canned food because there is no substance there to help rid the teeth of tartar. Sorry I was so late in seeing this post. Been busy painting and packing. We are moving to a smaller house in town next Saturday so we have been very busy. We are also taking in a foreign exchange student for the school year from Seoul, Korea. We have a very interesting winter ahead of us :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max is a year old now and just cut back to 2 meals a day...peanut still wants 3. Max also likes a small late night snack.

I am not a good gauge though as 2 doodles tend to be more active than one since 2 doodles run, jump, wrestle 24/7 rarely taking a break to relax except to sleep at night. I call my house "never a dull moment" :D

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
So far we just leave food in Annabelle's bowl - she eats when she wants and is not getting fat, so will continue that unless it becomes a weight issue for her.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI there Annabellesmom....NICE to meet you!! annabelle is simpy gorgeous. i love the pics you have of her ..the one of annabelle that looks like she is standing up in the water is a great shot!!! :D

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Welcome Mary, loved the shots of your dogs, they are great! Your painting is also amazing :)

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
MaxandMe said:
HI there Annabellesmom....NICE to meet you!! annabelle is simpy gorgeous. i love the pics you have of her ..the one of annabelle that looks like she is standing up in the water is a great shot!!! :D
Thanks - crazy dog hadn't got the drift that you swim in water not run thru it lol, she did have fun though

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Hi, Mary. Yes, Annabelle's adorable! Nice to see you here.

Leslie
Thanks - Im glad I found this forum - everyones babies are so precious

dixiedi said:
Welcome Mary, loved the shots of your dogs, they are great! Your painting is also amazing :)
Thank you, TG for digital cameras - I love taking photos - Annabelle is a HAM, pic up a camera and she stops and sits lol If I finish a painting and go to take a photo, she can be downstairs and will hear the zoom of the camera and come running and she will sit there until I take her photo - such a funny girl :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts