Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious how many of you out there follow the feeding instructions (for quantity per lb of dog/puppy) on the back of your dog/puppy food? Or do many people just free feed their doodle until they stop eating?

The reason I ask is that we have been sticking to a set amount of food based on the instructions (+some) but feel that maybe Sienna should be getting even more?

I have heard that labs have eating issues...and don't know when to stop. The way our little girl eats (inhaled in 2 seconds and looking for more) makes us worry that she may eat too much if given an unlimited amount. We actually try to feed her with a Kong, tug-a-jug or food ball just so that she stretches out her feeding time (it can't be healthy to eat so fast!).

Any opinions on this subject? We'd love to hear them!
Thanks

:D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Puddles must be showing his poodle side because we fill the bottom of his bowl in the morning and in the evening and he eats a little bit and then goes back to it later. He's probably getting about 2-3 cups of dry food a day and he's 4 1/2 months old. Plus we supplement with butcher bones and treats. The only time he has had a feeding frenzy was when he snatched some food off the counter...so naughty! :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I didnt free feed anymore cause Miss Princess Peanut seemed to want to make sure no food went stale :wink:

Max on the other hand eats till he's full and then leaves the rest

I do know Max ate alot as a puppy 5 cups a day and now he's down to 3.5 cups a day.I do KNOW that if Max wanted more food he'd pick up his food bowl place it in my lap and nudge it . Later he progressed to stomping his paws and trying to get the food container lid open.
So to heck with food amount recommended, he drive us nuts for more food, was real active and is very healthy and even our vet agreed---give him the little extra food.

treats: pineapple most of the time, or tad of cheese, sweet potato or pumpkin, avocado
my dogs are health nuts and let me eat the junk food :shock:

·
Registered
448 Posts
When I switched Nicky from puppy to adult food I went from letting him free feed to feeding him twice a day. I give him a little more than what the bag says because he acted like he was starving when I gave him just the amount specified. He never leaves any food in his bowl!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I feed Cali 3 cups divided between morning and evening. Often she won't eat one of the meals. I just leave the bowl down. She gets very small sweet potato/fish treats a few times during the day and always one on her pillow at bedtime. :wink:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
with a multiple dog family it s difficult to feed them
according to when they FEAL like eating :?

thus, they have scheduled feeding and a few low
cal treats..each eats every kibble in their bowls less
they would be taken up by one of their sibblings..

G

·
Maya eats a little more than the amount specified on the bag and is fine with that amount. She eats it all at one time but eats it slowly and chews it well so I don't worry about her. My friend's lab however eats all his food very fast and then acts like he hasn't ate. I actually got him a special bowl to slow down his eating. It's called a brake fast bowl. It does slow him down a little bit.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
MaxandMe said:
treats: pineapple most of the time, or tad of cheese, sweet potato or pumpkin, avocado
my dogs are health nuts and let me eat the junk food :shock:
Junk food like chocolate dipped Strawberry's count??? :D :wink: :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I have 4 labs, and a poodle, and I free feed them all. There's always food in their bowls so they never feel the need to gobble the food and get sick tummies. I have to say though that to be fair... my labs are all females and are planned to be bred, so if they're carrying a couple extra pounds, I don't get overly concerned. My poodle just isn't a food hound, so grazing is ideal for him.

2 of the labs (Bella and Hickory) came to me severely underweight, so I doubt they'd ever been free fed before. By the time they'd gotten up to a healthy weight, they'd leveled off on the amount they eat as they seem to realize that here there is no shortage of food.

Canada arrived round and even after nursing her litters it's a challenge to find her ribs. lol

·
Registered
260 Posts
i actually count calories per cup of dog food -- see this post for more details:

http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/view ... 8098#48098

we feed more in the summer than in the winter, since the dogs are more active then. i also monitor them visually, and take them to the vet to weigh them every couple of months -- most vets don't mind if you stop by to use the scale. if it seems like they've put on a bit of weight, i'll cut back by 1/4 cup or so for a few weeks and see if that helps.

i know i'm a bit anal about this, but i really feel like being overweight contributes to joint problems, etc. -- and it really makes me sad to see overweight dogs at the dog park trying to keep up with everybody else. now if i could only be so anal about my own eating habits!

-em

·
Registered
160 Posts
Matey eats twice a day. I want to keep him on the lean side as well so I judge how much to feed him by the way he "feels" to me. Meaning if he feels extra lean I up the chicken necks, eggs, cottage cheese or an extra stuffed Kong etc. His basic meal is a Bravo burger twice a day and the add ons depending on his activity level and "feel". He is about 22" and 40lbs.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I don't think I've looked at the bag since Sandy was a tiny pup... I adjust based on activity level and feel.

Sandy (15m) is 45lbs and 23" and eats 3 1/2c total (he is my active one)
Iris (13m) is 40lbs and 20.5" and eats 2c
Maggie (8m) is 42lbs, 21.5" and only eats 1 1/2c - She started gaining too much weight because she is still confined to her crate and won't be allowed any weight bearing exercise for at least another 3 weeks. Fortunately we live at the beach and when this cast comes off (keep your fingers crossed for FRIDAY) I will be able to take her swimming!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the great replies! It is so hard to go by "feel" but I can see that just based on Debbildog's reply...(3 dogs all around the same weight getting different amounts of food)...this is probably the best way to go unless I start counting calories too (uggh!).

I have an off-topic question for Debbildog, maybe you can PM me? We live in your area (Boston) and have been searching for beaches that allow dogs (on or off leash is okay). Do you have any recommendations?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts