Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When a puppy is showing fear of something, do you have them face the fear or take them out of the situation???
For every website that tells me to walk away, the other says to have him face the fear. So I am confused.
While walking Denver yesterday we started to walk by a house where I could see that there was a dog on the balcony. You could only see the bottom of his feet and you could hear him running back and forth.
Well Denver went balistic, started crying, growling, barking you name it and would not walk by this house.
I tried coaxing him without saying anything to him but no way. So we turned around and went the other way. I am worried now that I handled this wrong and need some opinions. This was the first time that we had taken this route. Do you think it was because he could not see the dog ?
He has no problem passing other dogs on our walks and has never reacted like this before and we pass many houses with dogs in the yard or on the balcony. Do I take him back there and try again or ????

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
And Cesar Milan would suggest, Just be calm assertive and try not to react yourself. Jonah used to have a problem near my house with 2 german shepards in a fenced yard. Took about 5 walks to get him over it. I just praised him for walking by.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I think you move to what ever distance away that will make your dog feel safe.

When I first got Tanner we were walking passed a house when the woman opened her door and her dogs flew out at us. I slipped and fell on the ice, dropped the leash. I finally grabbed Tanner but it took about 6 more times of walking by this same house for him to forget it. Like Gene said, I just kept talking to him calmly and showed him that I was not afraid.

However, Tanner is afraid of a cement greyhound on the front porch of a neighbor.(':oops:') He moves, putting me between the "dog" and him and we have walked passed the dreaded creature at least 50 times. I guess I could drag him up to the porch and show him but why? Most of the time he is not afraid of anything and that works for me!

G

·
I think either response is good as long as you don't reinforce the fear by talking baby talk and saying 'That's ok' in a high pitched voice. Then they think that their fear is the RIGHT reaction. Either forge ahead or turn around, but do not baby him thru it or react in any way. Does that make sense? I keep remembering the dog Cesar had to train not to be afraid of slippery floors....but I can' remember the specifics except for the above. :lol:
Oh and for any puppy owners who need advice on the subject: Do not pick them up and carry them! This also reinforces their fear and behavior.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Linda said:
I think either response is good as long as you don't reinforce the fear by talking baby talk and saying 'That's ok' in a high pitched voice. Then they think that their fear is the RIGHT reaction. Either forge ahead or turn around, but do not baby him thru it or react in any way. Does that make sense? I keep remembering the dog Cesar had to train not to be afraid of slippery floors....but I can' remember the specifics except for the above. :lol:
Oh and for any puppy owners who need advice on the subject: Do not pick them up and carry them! This also reinforces their fear and behavior.
I'd love to see Sue talking in a high squeeky voice!

And....I only picked Miko up once when she wouldn't cross the parking lot! Geez, quit stalking me!
:wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
we dont make anything of it....just keep acting calm confident and like everything is okay usually that is.
When they're small puppies the first couple of time i pick them up and walk confidently working towards prasing them when they do it on their own but in normal tone of voice.

max has a fear of assertive dominant men for some reason ...soooo when my son had 4 of his linebacker 18yr old friends over hahahaha
let's say i finally ......oh don't laugh, got tired of max barking at 2 boys, circling them and driving us nuts.

know what i did? here goes:
I went to them and petted their leg saying what a good boy they were hahahhaa (my sons thought i lost it) and next thing i knew max stopped barking, sniffed them and finally started to get over his fear and calm down.

I can't believe I told you all this hahahhaha
HEY it worked!!! as these 2 boys come over alot and well Max was fearful , his barking drove us nuts and made everyone uncomfortable as these boys love max

G

·
Gene,
And why are you napping in the middle of a Sunday afternoon? You are not going to sleep tonight! :lol:
The stalker (aka Linda)

G

·
When I wrote about not picking the scared dog up, I was trying to picture Sue carrying Colorado past the scary doggie...Bwahahahaha :lol:
Good visual! :lol:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I even tried to pick up Denver I would be talking in a squeaky voice for ever as I would have no air in my lungs for the rest of my natural life.
thanks to you all for the help and here is the update.
Denver and I went back and walked on th opposite side of the street, once we got to the scary house Denver had the same reaction. I did as you all said and remained calm and half dragged him by there.(not that you all told me to half drag him but that was the only choice)
This time we could see the dog and it is a very vey large Rotteweiller.
Beautiful dog and yes Gene even bigger than aka Colorado. (but not by much) Anyway as we are walking or I was walking and Denver was trying to walk, crawl etc. I could here the owners saying to their dog "what a good boy and sounded like Get him" Soooo we will just not walk that way anymore as I am more scared of the owners reaction than their dog.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
blueteal said:
If I even tried to pick up Denver I would be talking in a squeaky voice for ever as I would have no air in my lungs for the rest of my natural life.
thanks to you all for the help and here is the update.
Denver and I went back and walked on th opposite side of the street, once we got to the scary house Denver had the same reaction. I did as you all said and remained calm and half dragged him by there.(not that you all told me to half drag him but that was the only choice)
This time we could see the dog and it is a very vey large Rotteweiller.
Beautiful dog and yes Gene even bigger than aka Colorado. (but not by much) Anyway as we are walking or I was walking and Denver was trying to walk, crawl etc. I could here the owners saying to their dog "what a good boy and sounded like Get him" Soooo we will just not walk that way anymore as I am more scared of the owners reaction than their dog.
good idea Sue..and sorry to hear the owners are like that.
thank god Denver has you as a mommie :)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Linda said:
Gene,
And why are you napping in the middle of a Sunday afternoon? You are not going to sleep tonight! :lol:
The stalker (aka Linda)
I was bored! I fell on the ice last week and hurt my back ( thank goodness it was with Miko and not Jonah...he would have drug me down the drive laughing!!). I keep looking around my house at the ever growing "jonah weeds" tumbling by...blowing coat!....and can't dust mop, so...nap time! The kids love it too.

Sue, please don't try to carry Denver...I have a hard enough time picking up Jonah for our weekly weigh-ins....OOOOF :shock: 68.5# and Miko 36.5#.

I think you're right....stay away from owners like that. They make us neuter our pets...wish we could neuter humans! :roll:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...wish we could neuter humans!
My husband wanted to go and neuter the humans after I told him what happened but I would not let him.(wanted to but, you know have to do the right thing) I am more curiuos about this house now cause what is in it that you are training a dog to behave that way hmmmmm?????

·
Registered
183 Posts
He must have sensed the agression in the other dog--so maybe he was trying to protect you by refusing to walk past the house. What a smart dog!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I'll admit, I've been guilty of telling my dog to "get 'em" but the dog would have looked at me like "can I really go play?" We had a dog once we couldn't trust (rescued German Shepherd) and not once did I ever encourage her to "get" anything. In fact, we ended up giving it to a business owner who was having trouble with people climbing the fence around his business (junk yard) and stealing parts. She fit right in, she was definitely a dog that needed to be the one and only dog in the family. At the time, we had another dog (rott mix) and she was jealous of him, especially around my son. The rott mix ("Bruno") was a big baby and we'd had him since he was a pup. The GS was an abused dog and I didn't want to risk anything. We'd had her for a couple of years and she was just too possessive. Bruno on the other hand, didn't have a jealous bone in his big body. He'd even let the cats steal his food and would stop eating to let them have it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts