Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if everyone could tell me what your favorite products are for your doodle... I'm trying to compile a list of things to have at the house when we finally get our puppy!

Dog food:

Non-food toy:

Puppy and adult shampoo:

Brush for your pups coat type:

Potty training tool:

Obedience training tool:

Dog bed (hey, they're expensive - I don't want to buy a crummy one!)

Please include anything else you think I should have on hand!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Debbi,
Welcome.....here's my list. This is what I did, others will be different, I'm sure....

1) Nutro ultra large breed puppy, followed by Blue Buffalo fish & sweet potato

2) kongs and for temporary :oops: toys...anything with a squeaker

3) no preference for me

4) grooma rake and furminator

5) patience!! :wink:

6) a professional...I did petsmart to start, then we're in the works for a private trainer for both!

7) they share mine! I do have some fleece blankets on the floor that Jonah will on occasion sleep NEXT to! :wink:

·
Registered
71 Posts
debbildog said:
I was wondering if everyone could tell me what your favorite products are for your doodle... I'm trying to compile a list of things to have at the house when we finally get our puppy! Dog bed (hey, they're expensive - I don't want to buy a crummy one!)
Dog food: We use Innova Large Breed Puppy Dry

Non-food toy: Kong and Kong Wubba, tennis balls, big rubber teether ring

Puppy and adult shampoo: BIO-GROOM Natural Oatmeal Anti-Itch Shampoo, Top Performance GloCoat conditioner and detangler
For ears we use ProEar- medicated cleanser and deodorant and we pluck the hairs out when they get long.

Brush for your pups coat type: Metal Comb and Metal brush

Potty training tool: treats!!! :D

Obedience training tool: Gentle Leader and puppy classes

We decided to wait on a dog bed, at lest until he passes this chewy stage :?

~Jenny

·
Registered
15,203 Posts

Please include anything else you think I should have on hand![/quote]

DOG Food: CANIDAE

toy: KONG

oatmeal based one

both bristel and metal brush

potty training tool: treats at first with tons of of praise eing the only treat

Obedience: professional school and then continue at home

dog bed: walmart $23 for memory foam bed, Sam's club big bed $19

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Dog food: - Eagle Pack Puppy and Canidae

Non-food toy: Tanner likes all toys...loves to fetch...he is not a power chewer so they are all still whole.

Puppy and adult shampoo: Miracle coat Ice on Ice after bath spray

Brush for your pups coat type: grooma comb and rake, la Pooches brush, coat king, greyhound comb, pin brush - Tanner is F1b and is quite curly.

Potty training tool: Take out on leash and treat when they go. For accidents - Natures Miracle

Obedience training tool: Tanner started out with clicker training now I just use the clicker for new commands. Clicker training is treat based.

I have 3 dog throws from Costco..one for xpen, one for floor in front of fireplace, one on the couch. We will buy a good one next year.

Puppy gates - we have small expandable wooden one that can be used in several doorways and we have more permanent one at top of basement stairs and between kitchen and living room.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Dog food: Canidae

Non-food toy: Nylabone Puppy Keys, Nylabone Puppy Fish, Clutch Ball, Kongs

Puppy and adult shampoo: I'm using Miracle Coat Skin Soothing Shampoo but would be open to switching if someone else on this forum has something they love.

Brush for your pups coat type: Using a couple different things, mostly combs. I'm going to wait until he blows his puppy coat to see if I need to invest in some more expensive grooming supplies.

Potty training tool: Pee Post and Nature's Miracle for accidents

Obedience training tool: Zukes Mini and boiled chicken for training treats. I love the Gentle Leader Dog Treat Pouch by Premier. It's a fanny pack with a unique hinge system for carrying training treats - I wear mine all day long.

Other things I couldn't live without - toenail clippers. We clip weekly. This saves my wood floor and because we do it so often he is great about it. Also ear powder. Pulling the hair in his ears is a necessary evil and the powder helps you get a grip.

We haven't bought a bed yet as we are still using crates. I bought fleece crate mats with the non stick backing. Enough so I could have one in the wash and another one clean.

Harness for car that buckles into the seat belt so he does not run around loose in the car.

Favorite websites to get all of this from - Petedge, Carealot, and Dog.com

G

·
Dog food: Wellness for puppies. It's 'human grade' food which I like and got a great score on the Dog Food Project list.

Non-food toy: The burger from WalMart that Mickey was wonderful enough to mail when I could not find a replacement (Thanks Mickey, she plays 'burger fetch' every day with her Daddy!)

Puppy and adult shampoo: I love, love love Eqyss Premier Shampoo and the eqyss Premier Conditioner. You can also use the conditioner on them dry before brushing. There is never a residue and she smells fabulous! And it is safe for humans.

Brush for your pups coat type: Keep in mind that Bella is a woolly, very curly coat. Flatter coats will need different brushing tools. I LOVE my GroomaRake and GroomaComb. I use the Les Pooches brushes (purple and the red 'MatZapper' for mats. I tried the Chris Christenson line and they are good brushes, but I tend to use the Les Pooches more often.
I will be testing the Coat King soon.

Potty training tool: Your legs walking her out the door more often than you could ever imagine! :lol: Do this every 2 hours for 2 weeks and she will be trained! And one thing I learned is they will definitely need to go after ANY play time, even if they just went, so take her out after playtime. And say over and over, "Go Potty" , then BIG praise/treat when she goes. This will teach her to 'Go Potty' on command. The neighbors will think you have lost your mind, but it has been a lifesaver!!

Obedience training tool: Cheese crumbles...Kraft has them now in a package.

Dog bed
: Sam's Club. Let her on her bed only when you are around at first to correct any chewing. I swear Bella learned not to chew her bed because I would repeat every time I caught her starting to nibble: " Uh Uh, if you eat that bed you are not getting another one!" I'm sure it was the tone and stern look that went with it :lol:

Crate, 3 gates for doorways to keep her in the kitchen when we are gone, soccer ball for her to tumble over, a laser light beam so you can wear her out without wearing yourself out, a boomerang tag http://www.boomerangtags.com/
a collar that will not slip open or get larger when they pull(a buckle that does not slide around), Bitter Apple Spray to stop nipping and gnawing, and hollow marrow bones to stuff with peanut butter or cheeseor a hot dog bite. (our trainer vehemently asked us not to give the puppy ANY type of treat that was so fabulous they would be tempted to 'guard it'. These include bully sticks and raw marrow bones with the marrow still inside. He asked us to wait until some training had occurred so a bad habit would not be formed early.)

Kepp us posted! We want pictures!!!!!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Dog food: Canidae all natural for all life styles including puppies

Non-food toy: Balls...lotsa balls!!!!

Puppy and adult shampoo: Believe it or not, I use my own, and conditioner,Raleighs coat is beautiful and shiney!

Brush for your pups coat type: haven't bought any special one yet

Potty training tool: small treats when he goes out side and lots of praise!

Obedience training tool: treats and praise...puppy classes begin next week with clickers

he sleeps in our bed....and when it gets too crowded I go out on the couch! Mine is still intact...not like someone we know...hahahaha

Retractable leash, baby gates, newspaper for the back door...(Raleigh was paper trained at 8 weeks) , and lots of toys!!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Dog food: Nutro Natural Choice - Chicken, Rice and Oatmeal

Non-food toy: My faves are the ones withOUT squeakers or things in them that make noise/talk. We buy Bailey both kinds, but it is annoying when you're trying to watch TV and we hate to take away her toys.

Puppy and adult shampoo: No real preference yet.

Brush for your pups coat type: A wire one with tines long enough to get through her coat.

Potty training tool: No tools - just LOTS of trips outside. Remember, your puppy will need to potty right after it either wakes including naps, drinks, plays and many times in-between. Take out very frequently. And, I agree with the many who recommend the Nature's Miracle Cleaner for accidents.

Obedience training tool: Repetition and patience. Also, highly recommend taking puppy to a training class. Even if you know the basics, you'll pick up a few new things. AND, the class is great for allowing your puppy to socialize with other puppies.

For inside crate - I just used old towels to begin with. Then got a cheapie from a discount store called Fred's. Some dogs like 'em and some don't. I'm thinking of removing Bailey's from her crate. She often scoots the bed to the side to lay on the plastic pan bottom. Bailey seem to love HARD surfaces. Rather than carpet or rugs, she prefers to lay on either the hardwood floor, or her most favorite place - the marble hearth in front of the fireplace. Seems uncomfortable to me - but them I'm not a puppy either. Maybe she likes the cold?

Leash, collar, food and water bowls, lots of money for the trips to the vet for puppy shots and don't forget the heartworm and flea/tick preventive medicines. And, don't forget the cost to spay/neuter if you plan to. Then, maybe add in the cost to fence in your yard if it isn't already. YEP, the first few months are expensive but ya gotta love these doodles.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was wondering if everyone could tell me what your favorite products are for your doodle... I'm trying to compile a list of things to have at the house when we finally get our puppy!

Dog food:

Iams Puppy

Non-food toy:

Bully Stick

Puppy and adult shampoo:

HyLyt - from the vet

Brush for your pups coat type:

metal

Potty training tool:

The bell, mentioned earlier, really works. I can't see the door from the kitchen, and if she's there doing the 'potty dance' by the door I can't see her. It's amazing how quickly they catch on to "ring the bell, door opens". Lots of praise and love and Nature's Miracle
Obedience training tool:

I guess we should get around to this too :(

Don't have one yet, but I will echo a previous thought of not investing too quickly. We bought a 'top of the line' number for our lab, who in 11 years has never slept on it. The kids like it, though.

Laundry detergent :shock: and lots of paper towels!

·
Registered
116 Posts
By the way - does that mean you've found a doodle, or narrowed in on a breeder? Maybe you posted that elsewhere and I missed it. Very exciting!
Don't forget a collar and a leash, and a crate!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
momoftwo and others: I use the harness that buckles into the car seat HOWEVER if i get out of the truck first to WALK around while holding peanut and then get him out

wellllllll he gets so jumpy he jumps on the seat buckle and YES YOU guessed right----he gets loose cause he unbuckles it himself by mistake hahahhaaa

kathie: the other thing you need to have is a SENSE of HUMOR at all times and come to this forum for support, teasing and friendship :D

oh wait......YOU NEED a camera on hand at all times and POST pics

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Dog food: I feed Nutro Natural chicken meal rice and oatmeal, this helps with stress also due to the oatmeal in the food, HOWEVER the pup MUST be on the food that the breeder feeds and change food gradually, also have faith in your breeder and go with their recommendations

Non-food toy: Ball Robe Combo is our pups fav

Puppy and adult shampoo: I use pantene shampoo and conditioner ,baby shampoo on the face

Brush for your pups coat type: Les Pooch Brush, the type depends on YOUR pups coat type

Potty training tool: Large wire crate connected to a Ex Pen, this gives pup room to play/potty if needed, they cant be expected to hold it, putting them in a crate and closing the door will lead to a dirty pup and lots of baths that can dry out their skin
this set up is not in place of housetraining it is a aide

Obedience training tool: Priemere martingale collar, Csear Millians DVD and book, a new pup ,,leash training ,sit,down stay can be taught while waiting on all the pup shots are completed

Dog bed (hey, they're expensive - I don't want to buy a crummy one!) www.petedge.com or www.jefferspet.com

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WOW! Thanks for the info everyone! I went to petsmart today and wandered around in the dog section... It was fun and I probably would have bought the collar and leash if I knew what sex puppy we are getting! I did however buy a book for Annie - Puppy Training for Kids, and a Labradoodle book :)

Yes, we did decide on a breeder! I'm hoping to get a pup from Phoebe & Tejas's litter (double d labradoodles) but its turning into quite the scramble to get all the money together. I wasn't quite ready to do this and don't have the money for the shipping yet as its more then I expected it to be (with the crate and all). If I can't get one of these pups I'll :cry: I just <3 them!

Keep your fingers crossed!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Fingers and paws crossed!! If you're anything like me....I tend to overshop...just don't when to stop. Why should I eat if I can get that extra toy instead? :oops:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
gene said:
Fingers and paws crossed!! If you're anything like me....I tend to overshop...just don't when to stop. Why should I eat if I can get that extra toy instead? :oops:
dont' we all gene!!! i hear you loud and clear hahahhahaa

·
Registered
162 Posts
Dog food: Nutro Ultra (Chicken, Lamb, Salmon & Brown Rice)
Lizzie has a very sensitive stomach & allergies & tolerates this very well

Non-food toy: orange rolling treat ball from PetSmart (is that a food toy?) alternative - $1 stuffed animals from the dollar store, balls

Puppy and adult shampoo: ChlorhexiDerm & a dog creme rinse

Brush for your pups coat type: furminator for wiry coat

Potty training tool: back door, occasionally lysol and a mop

Obedience training tool: stern tone, choke collar, leash, doberwoman

buy a crummy one in case it gets eaten LOL

cool food bowl
if its a girl - really pretty bandanas & bows :)
lots & lots of toys
a good dog lawyer

LizziesMom

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Kristen, not much to add to all the goodies everyone has recommended, they've pretty much covered it all. I just want to add Lots and Lots of LOVE :) :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts