Labradoodle Forums banner

Facing the sad facts.

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Jac 
#1 ·
I just emailed all 27 people on my puppy waiting list and broke the news about Moses. I'm hoping this doesn't scare too many off from wanting to buy pups out of him, but if so, at least I was honest upfront about it and they can decide for themselves.

Since Moses suffered from Juvenile Renal Disease, I feel compelled to offer what I've learned in hope that it can help someone else. I have also been in contact with his breeder who has decided to get out of breeding standard poodles altogether because of this.

Please cross your fingers that those who are concerned will do their homework and trust the research that says his pups are not at risk since he wasn't mated with a female that can carry JRD. (both parents have to carry the gene in order to pass it on)
This whole ordeal has just strengthened my convictions about breeding hybrids. Had I bred him to another pure bred poodle it could have been questionable. Apparently the incidence of this particular kidney problem is fairly common now in standard poodles. Because Moses had it, there's 66% chance that any of his litter mates will too. Those who don't, might be carriers.

The following link gives some good basic info on the issue... since many here have standard poodles, I thought you might find it interesting if you're not already aware. Sadly, Moses is far from alone.

http://www.workingdogs.com/doc0118.htm

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the info, Tink - I had never heard of this- I hope your prospective buyers read this, and put any fears they may have to rest. So sorry about poor Moses - this is just heartbreaking! :cry:

#6 ·
Tink i am so sorry about Moses and then you having to email others to educate/alert them to this.

tink here's another article that also states if you wanted to be included in the research and/or learn more for yourself
http://www.geocities.com/heartland/hill ... isher.html

#9 ·
Thanks all.
I simply do not want to see anyone else go through what we have with Moses if I can prevent it.
I just learned that Moses' pups have a 50% chance of being carriers even though they're half lab, but they won't get JRD themselves. I am SO glad I have a spay/neuter agreement in my contract! I will also be spaying Snuggles rather than saving her to breed as I had intended. I'm not willing to take ANY chances on passing this along.

#10 ·
Tink, I want to commend you for the way you have handled this heartbreaking situation. Not only are you suffering with the loss of Moses, but you recognized the impact that it may have on his pups and their families...I believe that you have done the right thing and I know how difficult it is for you. You have courage and conviction and I really do honor those traits.
You have also given me information that I plan to follow up on. I will post this article on the breeder's forum and mention it to the Premium Breeder's site in an effort to get this BUN test as a standard testing for breeding dogs. I realize that the only definitive way to know is through a kidney biopsy but at least the BUN test might give us a preliminary inclination that further testing is necessary.
We have to do what we can to stop this horrible disease so that other pet owners won't have to suffer the same type of loss that you have endured.
Again, I sincerely admire your commitment to notify your puppy famiies and to provide this information to us.
I would appreciate it if you would PM me with Moses' pedigree info so that I could check it against my Poodles for similar ancestors and lineage...I do plan to get the BUN test on all of my dogs now.
Thank you, again...and please know that you have done the right thing...even though you are suffering. I do hope that you will soon be at peace with your loss.

#11 ·
Well, I have to say that as a perspective puppy buyer (of another breed, from another breeder, but nonetheless) if I received this information ahead of time, it would certainly not scare me away. On the contrary, after reading the info that my dog would not inherit the actual disease, and knowing that neutering/spaying was mandatory and it would not be perpetuated, I would be fine with it. I would also have more faith in my breeder that they were totally responsible and committed to the health and welfare of all their dogs and offspring.

I think if most of your waiting list are caring intelligent individuals, they'll feel lucky to be getting one of your babies.

#12 ·
Thanks Jac and Dextersmommy

Jac, I have PM'ed you the info on Moses and would be very grateful if you can help spread the word. This is a preventable problem if breeders and VETS are just aware of it and act responsibly. From my research, it looks like way too many cases are handled individually and go unreported, so people assume the pups had an isolated kidney problem when in fact whole litters and bloodlines are being devastated.

My poodle breeder had never heard of it until I notified him. Very few who I have told had any idea this was such a problem with poodles and it has started to be seen in golden retrievers as well, so goldendoodles are majorly at risk.

I have decided I am not going to breed f1bs because it can leave me open to creating pups with JRD. I am now planning to replace Snuggles with a chocolate lab female in my future breeding and will continue to require that all pups from my dogs be spayed or neutered at 6 months of age so I don't ever have to worry about this again. There is some indication that 2nd generation dogs are more susceptible to it... so I'm not taking any chances.

I don't mean to panic anyone, as I still believe labradoodles are the way to go. We just need to be informed and act accordingly.

I have gotten back 5 responses from my email to my waiting list and so far it's all been very positive. I imagine I will get back more later when people are home from work and have time to check their email.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.