Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

We are getting our doodle on Sunday....Yeah! She is a F1b and her current coat is slightly wavy but has the texture of a Lab coat and is short. I know that the adult coat is always a surprise, but I was wondering if anyone out there that has an F1b could tell me how your dog's coat changed (puppy then adult). I am curious to learn of any "trends" from puppy to adult coats...I look forward to the surprise. I am crossing my fingers that it will be low-non shedding :D

About our pup...she is 8 weeks old and her name is Angel. My children named her and I just hope that she lives up to her name...LOL.

New Doodle Mom,
Nicole

PS I have learned so much from all of you that post! I feel that I am partially prepared for the work ahead of us. It has been 8 yrs since I've had a pup! THANK YOU!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Congratulations Nicole! I have an F1B that has more of the poodle coat. You can see his picture under the title "Can I come in?". He is almost 15 months old now and his coat was a little looser curled as a puppy. He is non-shedding. He had siblings that had shorter, straighter hair like the lab and I don't know how they turned out. It seems to me that all the puppies get a little curlier/wavier as they age.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Welcome Nicole and Angel!
We raise F1B puppies, and have a variety of coats...but they leave is :cry: when they are young so unless I hear from the new owners I can't say much about coats. I did have one, however, that was/still is a shedder. He looked very Labby, started out with a flat coat and then got the LD whispies...but he sheds...the family forgives him though because they adore him. (And we all knew at 8 weeks of age that he'd shed.)
Congratulations, Angel will bring such joy to your lives!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the warm welcome and insightful replies! I will post pictures of our new addition, Angel, soon.

Kim...I can't find the picture of your dood. Can you tell me where to look? I'm new to the site and maybe just missing it...sorry. I looked in the "Labradoodle Pictures" F1b section but didn't find it. I'd love to see him!

Nicole

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the picture, Kim! He is adorable. He looks like you could squeeze him like a favorite teddy bear. I love the pic. of him sitting on the chair outside the window, too. His adult coat did come in curlier! Is it that curly if you let it grow out? Or is it because his coat is so short?

Nicole

·
Registered
853 Posts
His hair is that curly when it grows out, too. It tends to mat so I keep cutting it pretty short after it grows out about four inches and starts matting. He doesn't like to get brushed so I'm not good at preventing the mats.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Hi Nicole,

Dexter is a F1B...here's a photo at 9 weeks...

and this was taken at about 6 months...

He alwyays has had very wavy hair. He's starting to get mats now and we're going to give him a good short haircut in the spring.

He barely sheds...I find a small amount of hair after about 5-7 days of not vacuuming.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ohhhhhhhh i could hug and kiss and squeeze them all day long!! yes just had a nice puppy pic fix.......thank you all!!! :D :D :D

and welcome NICOLE ...congrats too!!!!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
haha...you crack me up gene. but looking again, that was an excellent down stay...too bad he only obeys that command 1/2 of the time :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
lmtoth2 said:
haha...you crack me up gene. but looking again, that was an excellent down stay...too bad he only obeys that command 1/2 of the time :wink:
hey 1/2 the time is better than none of the time :wink: and better late than never hahhahaha yes i have my cup 1/2 full here all the time ( the other half gets spilled by doodles hahahhaaaa)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Leslie...LOVE the pictures of Dexter! I'd love to see a picture of his adult coat when he gets it! Is his coat a lot of work as far as brushing and grooming? He looks like he just came back from the groomers....he's beautiful!

I have pictures of Angel to post but I can't seem to figure out how to insert them like you did. Can anyone help?

Nicole

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
If you post your photo on a site like photobucket, then you can copy the image code (there are 3 lines of text that will be under your photo...the 3rd one is the image code). Just make sure the is at the beginning and end of the line.

Now about Dexter's coat...he's really starting to get bad mats on his chest/front legs (I think of them as his arms :) ). We really need to get him cut and may do it this weekend. I know it's so superficial, but I love him w/his long hair so much...but I have to think of what's best for him. We really want to cut him pretty short (1/2 or 1 inch on the body) but not shave him. Does anyone have any good photos to share of their doodles post haircut?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Leslie...I feel for you. I'd hate to cut that beautiful hair, too. BUT think of how much easier it will be for you to brush him with all the mats gone :D
I know it won't be the same...just different. Post a picture after his cut. How old is he now? Will he blow his puppy coat soon any way?

This is Angel. She'll be 8 weeks on Sat. She is so much fun! She can be puppy crazy :twisted: But then when I pick her up to hold her she is back to her Angel self! It's like she knows when to turn off the crazies!

Nicole

This is a close up of Angel's coat. She has a slight wave and it is longer than it was 2 weeks ago. I can hold her wearing black pants and will only have a small amount of hair on me. She is an F1b. Any guesses what her coat may look like later?[/img]

1 - 20 of 34 Posts