Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please can someone advise me?

I have a lovely f1 labradoodle called Tommy who is now 8 months old. his coat is quite long, shaggy & straight - wavy. It is a hair coat & is now starting to shed allot, I'm worried at the amount it's actually shedding, as it's going quite patchy on his back & is looking thinner. the fur underneath is more like fluff. The hair on the neck tail & face is not shedding, it's just the body hair.
Is he blowing the puppy coat? & could his coat end up being shorter? I really like his long coat so I hope not. I don't think there is anything actually wrong as he's a very healthy dog!
Does anyone know if he could end up looking different? when we first got him, he had a shortish straight coat & then it just kept getting longer and longer.
Please can someone help thanks Jan :D

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Jan, Welcome to the forum! It sounds like Tommy is blowing his puppy coat. Our Lani has a fleece coat. She is a year old abd her fur was about 4" long until about a week ago when we had her clipped. When she shed her puppy coat it came out in tufts. Her fur came in longer and curlier. Any pictures? We would love to see some! :lol:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Lisa has Toby blown his puppy coat? Judging by the "puppy puffs" I'm finding at home (my kitchen floor looks like tumbleweeds rolling by) I think Archie maybe starting to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

My doodle is 5 months and has the longer hair coat. Her back is more curly and wirey. Could someone please explain the "puppy coat" . How it changes and when? Thanks, Kathy.

P.S. How do you post pictures?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes...could someone please explain the puppy coat......my doodle is just over a year old. I have noticed this puffs of hair floating around on my floor -- we had him clipped pretty short awhile back and while I am not really noticing any difference in his coat it could be that it is still somewhat shorter than usual. At 1 year old, should his coat be done changing?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Chesterpal said:
Lisa has Toby blown his puppy coat? Judging by the "puppy puffs" I'm finding at home (my kitchen floor looks like tumbleweeds rolling by) I think Archie maybe starting to.
Annette I think he is blowing it now. I have seen tufts of his fur all around also. I'm hoping he will shed less when he is done! How big is he now? Toby is over 70 lbs and is quite tall compared to Lani.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max is 6.5 mos old and about 2 weeks ago we find so many little
"fuzzy tumbleweeds" around all the baseboards hahahhaa

I brush him almost daily and have ajust a few hairs in it. Then I turn around and hmmm there's a downy-like soft fuzzy ball clinging to chair legs and/or anything else on the floor. So i sweep daily :D

Max is an F1 with a fleece coat :wavy to slight curl
If winter weren't here i'd clip him for sure.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
MaxandMe said:
Max is an F1 with a fleece coat :wavy to slight curl
If winter weren't here i'd clip him for sure.
Annmarie, Having had Lani clipped a couple weeks ago I was afraid she would be cold but it does not seem to be a problem. :shock: She spends as much time outside as before and it is much colder now. Her coat is very thick and is only about an inch long.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies :D
I think Tommy is blowing the puppy coat as much more hair is falling out there is a new shorter coat coming through will the new coat stay short or will it grow long like the other one did?
and how long does it take until he is done changing?
thanks Jan

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Jan, I found that Lani's adult coat came in longer and curlier than her puppy coat. She is now 13 months old and I think she is done blowing her puppy coat. I think she started blowing it when she was around 6 months old. Any photos? We would love to see Tommy! :lol:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Jan, it definately sounds like "blowing his puppy coat". I have a female that lost a lot of her hair on her back when she went thru her "blowing" and it came in a lot shorter but now it is all long, flowing waves. So don't worry, I'm sure it will grow in longer and wavier than it was. Blowing the puppy coat could last for 2-3 months :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi I have just found this with my f1 'Myrtle' she is 9 months old and had a longer wavy coat. It recently started shedding loads so I decided to speed up the process and strip the whole coat out :shock: now she has a shorter coat, but it is silky soft and you can see it's very silver at the root.
I expect her coat to grow back curlier and thicker or at least I hope so :?: lol. However her coat turns out, I don't really mind as I love her, she has the most amazing laid back nature and is probably the best dog I have ever owned :)
I'm sure it is losing the puppy coat, so I would not worry :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts