Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't want to be gross, but Maggie has a lot of "eye boogers" (as we call them here at home) in one eye. i don't know if there is something I can do for her at home so I dont' have to take her into the vet and get $100 eye drops. any home remedies that you all know of? or what it could be? her eyes look totally fine but she definitely has discharge (kind of what you wake up with) in her left eye, and has for a few days now. maybe longer, but before a few days ago, her hair was so long (and a little matted!) that we had to take her in to get groomed.

any ideas before I call the vet??
thanks, christine

·
Registered
853 Posts
It sounds like conjunctivitis (pink eye) like humans get, too. Doc has had it a few times. The only thing that works is antibiotic eye drops that you get from the vet. Sorry. After Doc had it a few times, I ordered some antibiotic salve online just to have on hand in case he got it again. But, that would take too long for you to get right now. Let us know how things go.

G

·
I'd take her to the vet. Is the discharge green? Boyd had the same type of thing and I had to use antibiotic drops to clear it up. Has she been around saw dust or anything that could have gotten into her eye?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is just regular colored not green or yellow. and her eye looks completely normal. i am not sure if she was around anything that could have irritated her.

i'll call the vet today. thanks!

·
Registered
853 Posts
If it's not green or yellow, she might have something in her eye that's making it water or a tear duct blocage. Sounds like a trip to the vet is in order. Actually, eye drops from the vet aren't very expensive, it's the office visit that costs the most.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Don't know if you have done this but keeping the hair cut from around the eye some will help it from collecting so bad and make it easier to remove daily. I know it's gross but it has to be done. It comes from the Poodles...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mia also gets eye boogers (same expression in this household :lol: ) and I just remove them with my fingernail as well. My vet also suggested that if they are particularly crusty or persistent I could use camomile tea bags to loosen them. She also said using that remedy might reduce the amount of discharge from her eyes. I've never actually done this but I have used a wet face cloth ... I just tell Mia "I need to wash your face" and she sits by the sink waiting for it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
At Buffy's initial vet visit, he mentioned that she had overactive tear ducts and it was normal and to just wipe them with a warm towel. She always seems to have a pink line going down her face from her eye, that's where it is wet from the tears.
By the way - we call them eye boogers too. I think that's the actual medical term. LOL

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi,
Pongo get these "eye boogers" after I wipe them they get a little wet, then they harden into his hair. When I brought him to our vet she said some dogs get clogged tear ducts. She said a couple times a day I should rub gently in the corner under the bottom of the eye and this sometimes help to duct to unclog. I have been doing it for a week now and he has none any at all.
~Jenny

1 - 12 of 12 Posts