Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys - was curious what you all thought about followup obedience training - while most of the time he's great, our Astro is now a year old, and needs some "reinforcement" - especially on not pulling during walks - what have you all done in the past?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hey Tim, it's common for the 9-15mo. dog to seem to forget what they learned... shoot, they are trying out their adolescence. Some people can just "crack down" and review the rules with their dogs, and some people (like me) do better with the structure of a refresher class, so I would say it's up to you, but either way it's better for all of you to curb your doodle. A 12-mo old puppy can be way more destructive than a 3mo. pup.

I have a couple of GREAT trainers in my area, I wish I could refer you to one here in CO!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Biscuit is now in 1st. Grade Training. He will continue untill he can go through agility, no problems. The best thing is to be consistent and practice a lot. I love our 1st. Grade Class because it is focusing on "the walk". Puppies have to stay by your side and if they venture ahead they receive a correction. We are moving towards walking off leash which I absolutely love.

We also use a prong collar. It solves the problem of pulling on the leash. If fact, my puppy chokes, gags and has a terrible time with a regular collar during a walk because he pulls so hard. We don't have any of those issues when we use our prong. He has never choked or gagged walking with the prong. I just give him a gentle pull and he falls into place.

I enjoy training and Biscuit enjoys the challenges. It's fun and rewarding.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Toby finished first grade and is now a professional walker! He does so well. The key, as someone already stated, is practice and consistency. It is easy to go to school and then not do the homework. We have finished two classes but still don't come when called - unless of course he is tired and wants to come. :oops:

·
Registered
209 Posts
The recall is tricky for Sawyer, too, so we have been working on it with lots of stinky treats and it seems to help. :roll: Gosh, I never thought I would actually want to be associated with stinky treats, but there you go!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Training has to stay constant so follow up is great and also at home make them sit before they get their food, before they go outside, (not the morning time outside though). If you want them to remember and be obedient then you have to keep working them. Some more than others. :roll:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts