Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone can clarify for me how much exercise Sage needs. I know (from reading the posts on this forum--my vet never told me) that I have to be careful about running and jumping. Until I read that, my husband and I were having her run up and down the stairs between us for training. It definitely tired her out, but now, of course, we aren't doing that. By the way, do we have to be as careful about that if both her parent got their hips certified? She is 10 weeks old, and I am constantly questioning my ability to fulfill her exercise requirements (whatever that may be). She just got her second set of shots on Saturday and was given the O.K. by our vet to take her on walks (of course avoiding any noticable piles of poop etc. and other unknown dogs). Since she is still really pully on the leash and I have my baby in her stroller or wagon, we can only go for fairly short walks (it's all I can handle). It seems that when she isn't sleeping, she has a boundless amount of energy that maybe I should be channelling?!? I just don't know. With my little one (16 months old), it can be pretty limiting in the house as well. Baby and puppy? What was I thinking?? Any advice? What kind of exercise will she need in the future? Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
exercise

Hi! I too have a baby - eleven months, and we just got 2 labradoodle puppies last week that are thirteen weeks old. The exercise thing is difficult for me too - especially since the two dogs keep getting tangled up in their leashes. What I have been doing, is when I put the baby down to sleep, I have been tossing the ball to them in the yard, and having them retrieve it. After about fifteen minutes they seem to get a little tired. I do this twice a day. I also let them tousle a little in the kitchen for ten minute intervals (limited to prevent accidents). I have older children that have been giving them a short walk when they get home from school. So far so good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Annemarie-

Great idea! I have two older kids too (12 and 10). I think that maybe taking poochy for a walk after school could be their new job. :lol: I think I'll have to bounce that off them. I've been trying to get a morning walk in with Sage (and baby), so hopefully that will be enough. As for the back yard--we (my hubby) is still fencing. I have a feeling it's going to be a couple of months still before it's finished. Maybe I'll get one of those extendable leashes and see how that works back there. :idea:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but it won't be long before the dog becomes too strong for your children to walk. When Gunner(4 months) gets going he can really jerk me around. There are all tpyes of collars to assist you and your walks. We opted not to use a prong collar, because we hope Gunner will be able to do some service work. After many challenging weeks of training, I am finally able to walk him next to me for the majority of our walks. I know we still have a long road ahead, but we are seeing progress.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Sage's Mom,

This is a tough stage for you and your puppy...you do want him to be exercised and certainly would like him to be tired at bedtime...but you are right to cut down on the exercise.

Yes, even though both parents were tested for hips, you still need to be careful with your puppy. Testing gives us a good baseline and helps us determine if we are breeding good hips to good hips...but in every genetic chain, a throwback can appear. So, good hips are not a guarantee.

Even if your pup has good hips, he is growing very quickly and can become injured quite easily. Stairs are really hard on puppies' hips and should be avoided as a means of exercise....so I commend you on that decision...also jogging and rough/tumble activities are bad for them. So is frisbee tossing...very bad, they should not be jumping and landing on their hind legs.

All of that being said, sometimes the pups do these things anyway and it is nearly impossible to monitor all the time. We can only do the best we can do!

Annemarie, just a quick note to you ... when you said that your pups are getting the leash tangled up when you walk...try a coupler! They are great when you are walking two dogs, because they keep each other in check without getting tangled. Also...I agree with the prong collar for training and walking on a leash...just be sure you get it fitted correctly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts