Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
This is my first post. Glad to have found this community - I am sure I will be relying on your expertise a LOT in the next few months! We will be picking up our adorable yet-to-be-named black labradoodle pup this weekend. I have a crate, food, bedding, bowls, toys all waiting for him. I want to stop at PetCo tonight and pick up one of those folding wire exercise pen (such as the Precision http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.a...&cp=2&Nao=12&sku=22977&familyID=5874&#details). I am just unsure about which height to get - 30", 36", 48" ... Our little guy is about 12 weeks. He is a medium doodle. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Expect to see more questions from me!
Lisa

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Lisa, congratulations on your new puppy! We bought one that is 30" high when we picked up Lani, she was 8 weeks at the time. She will be 4 months on the 25th and is 25 pounds. We use it as a huge baby gate across the archway between our living room and dinning room/familyroom area. It has worked out well for us. I figure by the time she is big enough to get over it we won't need it any more. Hope this helps. Enjoy your new friend they are a lot of fun. When the picture gallery is working again you'll have to post some pictures!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Hello Lisa and welcome!!

We have rather leggy poodle-moms and one of them can easily jump our 26" baby gate, while other doesn't. Our "jumper" is 24" tall, by the way. So 24" might be fine, and 30" would be quite safe, wouldn't you think?
They get so heavy when they're any taller than this!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Lisa, welcome!
My dogs can easily jump baby gates, but have never tried to jump an x-pen. We have 2 sizes for our puppy litters and the shorter one works great for the pups first 3 months or so, then they get stronger and can push it...I have not had any dog try to jump it.
I like the shorter ones for pups because I can easily reach down and pick up the pup or get to something in the pen that I don't want them to play with.
Since I feed them in the x-pen, I like to be able to put food/water dishes down without trouble...so shorter works best for me.
If you plan to invest in any gate for a doorway, I would suggest getting the tallest one possible, because some day, your puppy will try to jump unless it is tall and once they figure out they can jump, they don't stay put! Plus they can hurt themselves if they don't clear the gate.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
We were given a 4'x4' 24" pen for Dakota when he was about 9 weeks and maybe 15 pounds. In 3 days he figured out how to bail over it. My husband bought a 4'x4' sheet of pegboard and strapped it on as a top. Works great and Dakota loves it. It makes the pen rather den'ish. I don't think he will ever grow out of it (even though we expect him to be 70-80 pounds) since it is used mainly for sleeping--or containment when we're gone, but when we're gone, he sleeps! (If I had my choice, I would have gone 30").
Diane

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much everyone! I got the 30" one.

We're off - heading east & north from Seattle. Picking up pup tomorrow in southern BC - our doodle is Canadian, ay :wink: . Will post pictures when we get home.
Lisa

1 - 9 of 9 Posts