Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bad knee, so I was wondering about the medium and mini doodle exercise requirements.
How strenous, how long and how many times a day?

:D :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
We have a mini/medium labradoodle, Remy, who is 11 months old. She is about 21 pounds now and should get to about 24-25 pounds. She needs more exercise than I expected when we got her.

To be on her best behavior in the house, she needs at least three 30 minute or more walks plus play time in the yard every day. Even better is if she has a doggy playdate or goes to the dog park. She really doesn't get worn out on even an hour walk; she needs to be running around with another dog. If she gets all her exercise then she's pretty mellow in the house and just lounges around.

Do you have a dog park near you? If you have a bad knee, you could still take your labradoodle to the dog park to exercise and then do a few shorter walks a day for training purposes. Remy also gets tired if we're at a park watching a soccer game or something; she's not really exercising, but I think all the stimulation tires her.

Also, exercise needs vary by dog. You could try to get a dog with less energy. I'm hoping that Remy will need less exercise as she gets older.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Finding another dog to play with will solve a lot of exercise problems. We made playdates pretty regularily when we were a 1 doodle home and after an hour of wrestling with a big lab, our Hershey was ko'ed until the next day. You can always play fetch one the dood learns how, not much stress on you, a lot of running for them.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I agree with the others :) I can walk Dex forever and he still is a ball of energy. He expends his energy so much better with fetch in the yard or some good wrestling with Kirby or another dog. The dog park is great to tire them out...30 min there and they are done!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ok i happen to be lucky enough that my house is open floor plan and on the big side. Playing fetch for 30 to 4omin really does wear them out.

or bringing a ball outside and letting them run as well as do doodle 500 runs. we don't walk our doodles only for potty walks.

short training sessions inside the house also wears them out cause they are concentrating on completeting tasks

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Ditto with everyone. Cacao needs a good walk and some fetch time in the yard. We also play in the house. In the nice weather we take cacao out two to three times for a walk. Our walks are for at least 30min.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
i was leary of dog parks in the past..unpredictable dogs and doggie germ s scared me enough to not to take them there..

but, after a couple of time s at the dog park i wished i had taken them their sooner..there are a couple of labs and boxers there in the morning that Toby romps with..in the afternoon a lady with 4 golddies is there and he romps again..

as for me i ll just sit around enjoying the scene..still i spend time each day befor going to the dog park to walk the dogs on a leash for about 10 mins. to exert my position in the pack..

·
Registered
398 Posts
I wish I could get a video of my 9 week old doing the doodle 500's.
This is happening with me on the other end of the lease running with him.

We really need a fenced in area. :roll:

We also play fetch with his ball and he gets to chase the cat too.

G

·
dgeggis said:
We also play fetch with his ball and he gets to chase the cat too.
I'm sure the cat loves that!!! My cat hates Maya and can't wait for the vile creature (Maya) to go away!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts