Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rosie has started getting very excited when she sees other dogs when she is leashed and we are on a walk. She gets so excited that she starts pulling on the leash and has even lunged/jumped towards the other dog. There are times when we stop and say "hi" to dogs we meet but there are other times when people don't seem interested in having their little dogs meet Rosie or when we are in the middle of our "pack" walk which are a little more disciplined. Rosie gets off-leash play time at the dog park every single day so its not a lack of socializing. Its something new and I am a little afraid that she is becoming a little too "agressive" in her interest. Her ears go foward and her chests goes out a little. I don't think she is being mean but I don't like that she tunes me out and is kind of obsessing about the other dog. So far, I have tried "popping" her leash to her her focus back on me but this doesn't really phase her. I've tried putting her in a sit but she cranes her neck to see the other dog(s). Its rather embarassing. She is such a well behaved dog but I worry that this behavior will get worse. Any suggestions are more than welcome!

Oh, and we are planning on getting her into a class. I've been suffering with terrible morning sickness and tiredness so I haven't been able to get her in for the training classes yet. I am so surprised that we are having this issue with her when she was so shy and super-submissive when we got her. She is still submissive but has been holding her own at the dog park instead of immediately flipping over on her back. Her confidence has blossomed and I am happy about that but I don't want a maniac dog who jumps like a whirling dervish at every dog she sees.

·
Registered
385 Posts
First of all... Manchego is EXACTLY the same so I feel your pain :(

You mentioned that you have had morning sickness and I'm assuming that you are in your first trimester... Congrats on that! I wonder if she senses the change in you and since you are sick and tired she feels like she has to protect you when she is on the leash?? Does she act the same with other members of your family?

I know Manchego does it w/ my husband and me but more with me and I've been afraid of dogs in the past so that could be why.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
we were advised to put Dexter in a sit when we see another dog. Only when he is sitting calmly can he be allowed to greet the other dog. Has this worked well for us - not really :) We don't bring treats on our walks and it would work much better if we had them.

We have found he has outgrown some of it a bit...if the dog is on the other side of the road he is normally fairly calm. Kirby is another story :shock:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the suggestions. You know, I don't know if she acts like this towards other dogs with Jason. I'll ask him. Its definitely something new and wonder if it could be related to my pregnancy.

I will put her into a sit from now on. I think keeping her from the dog park would be hard. She really loves it and doesn't do the jumping/lunging thing. Its really only when the other dog is a few feet away. If they are across the street she is much easier to correct. I just think her acting so cuckoo is overwhelming for other dogs and their owners.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I'm sorry for disagreeing with the trainer (myself not being any sort of expert), but I don't see how cutting her off leash time at a dog park would help her behave better on leash (on a normal walk). To me, unless she is causing trouble at the dog park (which it doesn't sound like she is), then that is her time to socialize and burn her energy (especially important for a pregnant mom :)).

I will take this post as motivation to try to work on this behavior w/our doodles. Most of our walks occur early in the am and we do not meet other dogs. Dexter is really much improved with age...it's just Kirby :)

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Charlie reacts strongly occasionally and I believe its when he senses the other dog is ready and eager for some wild play. I understand how hard it is when the focus is totally on the new dog. I agree with bringing high quality treats and doing your best to refocus the dog to you.

I also think it is an interesting observation about the pregnancy. (Congratulations, by the way!) When my daughter was pregnant, our standard poodle was always by her side and slept at the foot of her bed. She definitely understood something was going on and she was on guard.

Deb

·
Registered
349 Posts
Leslie,

Toooooo funny.

(we were advised to put Dexter in a sit when we see another dog. Only when he is sitting calmly can he be allowed to greet the other dog. Has this worked well for us - not really)

The "Not really" part.............

I know my dayz are coming!!!! I'll be crying to the forum. We're waiting on our last shots to go for walks where we'll meet other dogs.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
it's funny how Peanut and Beau are really calm around other dogs but
MAX......talk about turbocharged instant perm! hahaha the smaller the dog, the more excited he gets.

he does so well with all other training. For me , i find the prong collar works best, he behaves extremely well whether it's with neighbor's kids, in stores, etc

NOW i didn't use this till Max was at least 15mos old and wasn't outgrowing his excitement whenever we left the house.

I think dogs and cats can sense pregnancy, imo :wink:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Putting Sam in a sit position doesn't work at all for me. Now I'm on the lookout whenever he's in the park (on leash or off leash). As soon as I see someone or another doggy, I grab the leash before Sam has a chance to go crazy. He still goes crazy but at least I on the end of the leash. Treats don't seem to work because Sam is not hugely driven by treats. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Molly is exactly the same!! anything with 4 legs, horses, cats and dogs are play mates :shock:

last week at puppy training the trainer told molly and one of the other dogs (A lab) they cant play until they walk to each other on a loose lead hehe

she has given us tips on how to stop the pulling and so far molly is improving slowly

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I think going to daycare on a regular basis desensitizes Tanner with meeting new dogs. When we walk, he is more focused on carrying his frisbee (which he only gets on off leash hikes) than on any dogs we meet. The only time he gets excited is when someone has several dogs and is throwing a ball or frisbee for them...then Tanner takes off to join in the fun.

On walks in the neighborhood, when we meet a dog or pass a dog behind a fenced yard, Tanner looks up at me and expects his treat for staying calm. He really has my number :wink:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Agreed! This is the single biggest problem area I have with my near-perfect pup! I enrolled in our most recent training class with an eye towards correcting it - and we've made progress but certainly aren't 100% "correct" when it comes to handling other dogs.

I find the Gentle Leader has helped a lot. Even when he doesn't have it on now, he is a bit more trepidatious about jumping or lunging. Also, the treats have it. After months and months, Milo has just begun to sit and look at me when another dog walks by - sometimes. Still, this is a major improvement. Very proud!

To some extent, I think only time will temper this puppy-ish behavior. Doods are just lovable social guys, so much so that they forget themselves when presented with an opportunity to broaden their social circle :)

Congrats on the pregnancy! Someone should start a chain of stories about that....

·
Registered
659 Posts
Seems to be a universal issue. Ozzie tends to go vertical when he's excited, so when he's out on the leash and he sees another dog, he's jumps straight up (He's easily reaching over 7 feet). If I can anticipate him encountering another dog early enough, I'll hold him on a very short leash and give a little jerk to distract him. I don't use the Gentle Leader collar when I walk him... I use a conventional chain slip collar. Also, I walk with a lightweight hiking stick and I'll give him a strategic "tap" with it to snap his mind back to attention and off the other dog.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This morning we saw another dog walking by and I put Rosie in a sit. She still was obviously very excited (ears up, body erect) but she didn't jump or lunge at the other dog. Once the dog passed and Rosie turned in the opposite direction with her focus on our walk, I gave her a big hug and lots of "good girl, Rosie!". I forgot treats since it was 5 am but tonight I'll put some in a bag next to the door and my keys so I can't forget in the morning.

Rosie is also more excited by the smaller dogs. Not sure what it is about the little dogs but she just loves them.

Thanks for all the help and for the congrats!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Brie also LOVES little dogs! sounds like her and Rosie would get along ;)

My major problem w/ treats is that it works great for Manchego... but it excites Brie even more. We have training classes coming up so I'll let you know if I get any new tips.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts