Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!
*Addition: Our dog is 11 months old. The couple we got him from bought him from a breeder in Spokane (We live in washington state) and he's lived with them ever since.
My boyfriend and I added a labradoodle to our home one week ago. He's wonderful, but he is drooling excessively and I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or knows why (the vet told me they're a breed not prone to drooling, but I don't suppose they run across labradoodles too often). The excessive drooling is accompanied by nonstop panting; his hair is very long and we're taking him in to get a haircut tomorrow because our first thought was that perhaps he's too hot. He's also drinking a whole lot of water, probably because he's drooling so much. However, this is BAD drooling; as in dripping every 10 seconds ago, leaving visible streams on anything his nose touches from the couches to the tables. Anyone have advice, are labradoodles prone to this? Thoughts? Is he just hot??? Nervous from being in a new place? (It's been a week, however). Anything we can do about it? We love the dog, he's such a sweetie, but this is really really bugging everyone and I want to figure out if something can be done! Thanks for your time and reply,
-Bridget

·
Registered
150 Posts
my doodle drools when he is anxious. a week isn't that long. he is still getting adjusted. hang in there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi Bridget,

You didn't say how old your new Doodle is. The first thing that crossed my mind was teething. Callie was a bit droolier than usual, especially when her canines were coming in.

Some of it could be stress panting from being in a new place, but I can't imagine that that would go on for a week.

Otherwise, I think you could be dead-on with the long hair and overheating theory.

Welcome to Doodle-land!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi,

Have you checked his teeth or gums out for any signs of irritation? My dalmation once got a hold of some popcorn and had a hull stuck in her gum - it produced a lot of drooling. Of course we didn't know this was the problem until we took her to the vet and he found it :oops:

Heather

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
So does Tuesday.....I went to visit a friend that owns a boarding kennel & Tuesday started slobbering, panting, even foaming. She said that Tuesday was over stimulated from all the different new smells. I also talked to a couple a week later who's dog did that when them took him to a dog park for the first time. Their dog frothed for 4 days & it stopped about the time they were ready to go to the vet.
Still learning stuff here too! :lol:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Welcome Bridget! Do you know any of the history of your doodle. Is he a rescue? When I got Rumor who was just over two yo at the time and came from a rough prior home, he was very nervous and did lots of panting and drooling, especially at night. Miko was also a rescue, and did lots of panting. Only drooled in the car, then it was bucket fulls.

I would revisit it with the vet. During a google search of drooling, I found lots of listings for something lodged in the mouth. O'm sure someone else will have more advise.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
OK so I drool every so often..SO WHAT :shock:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
MTD you old dog ! hahhaaa

okay many dogs when stressed and/or over excited can drool quite excessively.

Dave's brother's dog that NEVER drools, when hsi dog first met MAX
the amount of drool was pouring out of him,
we all get covered in it and Max needed a bath later on hahahhaaa

keep us posted

1 - 11 of 11 Posts