Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's only two days till we get our pup! I'm trying to make sure I have all the supplies I need, and I've decided an ex pen will be a good investment. I just don't know what height to get. I'm debating between the 36" and 48" high and would rather get the shorter one mainly to make it easier to take when we travel to our parents' houses-- the four-foot one won't fit in the back of our small SUV without leaning up on the back seat and that wouldn't be good (safety-wise and because it takes up all the cargo space), but I also don't want to spend a lot of money on a pen that the puppy will be able to jump out of in a month. Anyone have experience with this? Are labradoodles known for jumping out of these?

Oh, the puppy's parents sizes are a small standard (dam) and a medium (sire) -- both Australian labradoodles. So I expect her to be around 22" at the shoulder and 50 lbs. if she's about the size of the bigger parent... or a little bigger since that seems to be the trend. I only plan to use the ex pen while she's a puppy, of course.

Thank you!

Traci

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
We bought the 48" high...worked very well. Tanner is 26" tall and he never jumped over or tried.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I had the 2.5ft high and Peanut at 9 weeks old , her 3rd day with us did this:

I'd say Annieg's suggestion bears more weight now :wink:
4ft high is safer for MOST doodles

(peanut climbed the 4ft one too :roll: so she either got crated and/or tethered to me)

·
Registered
273 Posts
We bought the 48inch one and at 9 weeks Dante learned to do what peanut did so from that point on we just crated him.

Heather

·
Registered
41 Posts
We got the 36" and Remy learned how to jump out pretty quickly. She's only about 20 pounds. It's amazing how high they can jump from a standing position. We still use it when we're inside and just want her to stay in a specific area -- like when we have people over for dinner or lots of kids visiting. But I don't try it outside anymore because she just jumps out.

I haven't tried the pie tins -- maybe that would work?

·
Registered
968 Posts
You could also buy a top for the ex-pen. They make solid fabric tops, mesh tops, and metal wire tops (like the metal wire that the ex-pen is made out of.) I'd probably skip the solid fabric if you're going to be using the pen indoors, since that would feel more cage-like to the puppy. But the mesh and the metal ones look more open and airy. You can order them in pet supply catalogs or online. I've only seen the metal tops come in a square shape, but the mesh tops come in square and octagonal shapes.

Good luck with your new puppy! :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
a quick thought: do you have an area you can put up babygates if you feel the Xpen might not be your final choice? though if your doodle doesn't climb out of an xpen ----they're great :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies! The picture of Peanut climbing out of hers is hilarious and definitely makes me think twice about the whole thing! I've been told by the breeder that this litter of puppies is super laid-back so maybe she won't be a climber/jumper? I might borrow my neighbor's pen for a few days first to try it out.

I wish I had a room that could be puppy-proofed but we have a really open floor plan and there just isn't a good area for that. We have no storage so a lot of shoes and extra groceries are stored in our laundry room and that's just asking for trouble! :shock:

I really just want a place for the puppy when I can't watch her every second (and when I can't watch my 5-year-old to make sure she's not terrorizing the puppy, either)... I guess her crate would be okay but it'd be nice to have a place with a little more room.

Anyway, I'm rambling! Thanks for all your help! I'll be sure to post pictures once we get her home!

Traci

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
MountainDoodle said:
Thanks for all the replies! I might borrow my neighbor's pen for a few days first to try it out.

I wish I had a room that could be puppy-proofed but we have a really open floor plan and there just isn't a good area for that. I guess her crate would be okay but it'd be nice to have a place with a little more room.
I'll be sure to post pictures once we get her home!

Traci
Traci I have a huge open floor plan so I hear you bigtime! borrowing an Xpen for 3 days will show you whether or not your puppy will stay in it.
Seriously, very few puppies climb out...Peanut is part Houdini and rest is sweetness

Last resort is tethering your puppy to your belt loop :roll: and yes a crate when mopping, cooking, etc

Can't wait for PICS..........congrats!

ps ANNIE , that is a "awww" pic for sure

1 - 12 of 12 Posts