Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is an article about what to do if your doodle attacks a porcupine!!!

can't imagine this would EVER HAPPEN but here is the info just the same!!

i guess, if you were a hunter......

didn't know the facts though....thought you might like to know, too!

http://discoveringlabradoodles.com/arti ... cupine.htm

:roll: 8)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I remember my dad doing this with one of our curious dogs...thank goodness she was just curious...went in to sniff, came out with a snout full of quills. Dad took the plyers and got them out!
I think I'd pass out.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think we have any porcupines here.....armadillo and coyotes....

I can't imagine running into any wild animal with my doodle in tow.

Pulling out porcupine needles must be similar to cactus needles without the barbs.....
Had to do that to my Irish Setter on a camping trip at Big Bend National Park in Texas. Not fun for either of us!

Watch out for all other critters!!
:shock:
8)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Don't underestimate can happen between a porcupine and curious dog. These are pictures of my son and his dog, Arch. They were hiking in the Wind River's of Wyoming with my daughter and friends when his dog got to close to a porcupine. My son had to carry the dog for miles, drive to Pinedale to find a vet in middle of night and the wonderful vet came to his office to deal with the mess. He said it was it was the most quills he had ever seen in one dog. The good news was that after a days rest, my son hiked back to their camp (they had to leave everything behind) and were able to resume their adventure.

And believe it or not, the dog went after a porcupine 2 more times....ugh :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Thanks Linda...he married this past October for the first time at 43 :) I was so pleased.

He had his dog Arch for 13 years and 13 years of wonderful adventures...quite a long life for a Pitt...he was a total pussy cat, unless your were a porcupine.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Annie when I read this last post of yours I couldn't get past his age... I was thinking from the picture that he was late 20's early 30's... Then I read he just got married for the first time, and I laughed and thought "Oh, THAT is why!"

His poor dog though! That looks so painful!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh oh oh oh!!! How HORRIBLE!!!! :cry: :shock: :cry:

THANKS FOR POSTING THE PICTURES! I had no idea how really awful the quills could be! I assume the vet got them out and that the dog recovered well. There is no poison on the quill, I assume....and no allergic reaction? Gosh, I never envisioned what a mess it would actually be!!.....with so many!

:shock:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Here are their wedding pics They were married on top of the mountain in the background...unfortunately the picture with them together in wedding gear didn't turn out...

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Hey Annie, do you have the full size of that last picture? Its borderline but I might be able to fix it.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I'll pm you my email address. I'd be happy to take a shot if you'd like :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Ow, Ow, ow,ow,ow,ow,OOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!!!!
And I am not talking about the wedding! LOL
(Beautiful couple...gorgeous place for a wedding...my DH and I were married in Armstrong Grove, under the giant redwoods...)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
annie...i just found this post and OUCH i felt so bad for your son's dog. that looked so painful!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts