Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Wow, Maureen, he is gorgeous! Really gorgeous!

Now, I need to rethink my dogs' color again! I always thought they were blue until Helene said that Labs can't carry the gene to make blue...but mine certainly are not silver, like this guy! *sigh* I don't know if I'll ever figure out this genetics thing...

But...Sterling is really a stunning dog! (Very aptly named, I might add.)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, Jac and LeeBeth,
and remember if there's one thing that LIVING biology does, it's BREAK the rules!
I would completely concur with Helene in pricipal, but someone on the doodle zoo posted a picture of a really silver f1! So go figure!
Labs do not (typically) carry the (d) gene, and since it has to be there (in theory) on both sides, you get the salt/pepper look of your girls, in f1's as a rule. And "Lab" people have not typically learned about the "blue" color in poodles, and how they got that way, ya know?
So there ya go. that's my 2¢.

This guy CLEARLY had the (d) in his color genetics! In fact, he and 2 sibs all had a brownish cast to their black coats in the sunlight, which is how true silver poodles start to look before silvering out. That was fascinating even to Sue (kitsue) when I sent pics.

I LOVE genetics, exactly because they don't always work how they're supposed to! :shock:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Ooooooolaaaalaaaa!!!! He's gorgeous :!: :!: Maureen, is he out of your dogs?

·
Registered
32 Posts
How old is he in this picture? I've been laboring over what color to finally "offically" call my Frenchie. She's not that silver but she's only 17 & 1/2 wks old. She's got a lot of silver/white hair and more coming all the time. Oddly, her face seems to have some brown/red to it?
Well, whatever the case...that guy of your is BEAUTIFUL!!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks!!!
And yeah, Di, he's one of ours. He's from Fancy and Virgil's Bear, born in June 2005. I'm LOVING the idea of having more blue-silvers now!

We have a puppy who's broader in his muzzle and head(Lab-like), but silvering like this from our last litter who's going to be a Dad in the future, so I'm really excited how he grows up and then, of course, how he makes babies! :wink:

Angela, your Frenchie is ADORABLE!!! And I haven't got a clue if he'll be that silver! (sorry) The ones that I've seen that were really silvering on or around the face, and fronts of the legs are the ones that end up like this boy.

Is that you hiding behind your pup?? :wink:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Guilty as charged. Frenchie's feet are almost completely silver/white. Her belly is, too. She is just soooo cute, dontcha think?! I know genetics are incredibly unpredictable (I'm the freckled fair daughter of a Hispanic mom) but Frenchie can't possibly have the D gene on both sides as her dad is full blooded lab. Make any difference?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
About genetics: I'm a brunette - that's "dominant" right? over blondes? Nope. 3 kids and not one true brunette in the bunch. So while your Frenchie being from a Lab with no (d) gene on that side SHOULD mean no true silvers, what can I say? Altho I will say that this guy, Rex/Sterling was more silver at 18wks than your guy, so maybe yours will be more of a steel gray - that's "blue" in the poodle world. Those changes are really really gradual.

By the way I thought I coulda said that the red around the face or muzzle is VERY common in blacks - has something to do with sun and all that water they catch and hold after drinking! :wink:

Show-dog-black-poodles actually don't get to go out much at all for fear the sun will discolor their lovely black coats. what a life. :roll:

·
Registered
44 Posts
colour

We had a Yorkie some time back and her colour was officially know as Steel Blue & Tan - so maybe thats a phrase that can be used when describing doodles. Dulcie is very pale blonde with white whiskers and feet etc but her heckles are a much darker yellow and different hair altogether and they really stand up when she is excited! Is that the hyena in her?!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts