Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an electric fence which has always worked great with Chester. Archie on the other hand doesn't seem to care if he gets the tone or the shock. He seems to feel whatever is on the otherside is worth it. He's been running over to the neighbors, running up their backstairs and pawing at their backdoor. We had to ask them to NOT let him in (they would and then play with him---ugh, not helping!) Now they will just put him on a tie line and we'll go over and get him.
We've tested the fence, replaced the collar batteries, replaced the collar...nothing seems to be working. We've recently started the rule that if he leaves the yard he gets hooked up as soon as we bring him back. We're hoping he'll get the idea that he loses his 'freedom' if he makes a break for it.
Has anyone else run into this? It makes me very nervous about his safety!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
for awhile my poodle would go through for squirrels. I got the stubborn collar and made sure that is was tight. And I turned it on high. And the fence on high too. It doesnt hurt them, but they will think twice when they get the warning sound :)

Check his batteries too, maybe they are out.

heres a story: same poodle... still wears stubborn collar :). power goes out the other morning. where is poodle? next door!! she must test that collar everyday to see when she can get through!! grrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
gracielou, yeah scary isnt it?! I was just telling my husband we should put two collars on her in case ones battery runs out if she is checking everyday. The way we have the fence it will occasionally beep a dog in my daughters room so I let her take a dog in there without a collar on. She took the poodles collar of on saturday and we didnt realize. Well 45 minutes before company is coming over DH finds poodles collar and says where is poodle? Of course she was gone. Next door again to play with the cows and look at the turtles and fish - ugh. She is currently mad because she used to spend hours in the backyard looking at the fish in the little plastic decorative pond thingy! Last week my husband had enough of her trying to get the fish out! so he fenced her out of the area and now she is taking all these opportunities to go next door to the pond lol

Lisa - was it the petsafe brand? just wondering if its a dog issue or a brand issue? geez these dogs :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I am reading and learning here folks.
Putting up invisible fence next spring for probably 2 doodles.

POODLES are EXTREMELY smart!!!! it's almost scary! hahhaa

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have used the petsafe fence for nearly a year now. We used to have escapes pretty often. But not anymore. One of my doods seemed impervious to the static correction. We switched to longer probes, shaved her neck, cranked the thing up to high and she still got out, even though her brother stayed in. Two things were happening....and both are about how smart these doods are. 1) In one section of the yard the wire formed too tight a corner. The signal cancels itself out of it's too close to another part of the wire so the curves need to be really gentle. Grace knew just exactly where this narrow spot was and once she found it she was FREE!!! (Whereupon she would come around to the front porch and wait for us to open the door.) Check your whole fence....wherever there's a corner or a curve... 2) Grace learned that if she jumped high enough she could escape the zap. She would back up and take a running leap, right over the radio field (it's only as high as is it wide.) Took us a while to figure out to make the "boundary width" wider.

Okay, so this worked for awhile. Then Grace just decided to ignore it, I guess and started getting out again. Still, her brother would not escape. So we upgraded her to the "stubborn dog" collar. It vibrates before it sends out the correction and she responded pretty well to this. But when I finally got success was when we had done all of the above and then spent serious time REtraining the both.

The lesson is: it works fabulously for some dogs with the gentlest setting. Some dogs require the biggest zap possible. Depends on the dood. Now we have NO problems with it, even if the power is off. I think they grow a little less passionate about escape as they mature and you do have to keep tweaking things (batteries, settings, boundary checks) until you get it right. In other words, its a tool, not a guarantee. But I have a very curious baby and we finally know she's safe.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have used the petsafe fence for nearly a year now. We used to have escapes pretty often. But not anymore. One of my doods seemed impervious to the static correction. We switched to longer probes, shaved her neck, cranked the thing up to high and she still got out, even though her brother stayed in. Two things were happening....and both are about how smart these doods are. 1) In one section of the yard the wire formed too tight a corner. The signal cancels itself out of it's too close to another part of the wire so the curves need to be really gentle. Grace knew just exactly where this narrow spot was and once she found it she was FREE!!! (Whereupon she would come around to the front porch and wait for us to open the door.) Check your whole fence....wherever there's a corner or a curve... 2) Grace learned that if she jumped high enough she could escape the zap. She would back up and take a running leap, right over the radio field (it's only as high as is it wide.) Took us a while to figure out to make the "boundary width" wider.

Okay, so this worked for awhile. Then Grace just decided to ignore it, I guess and started getting out again. Still, her brother would not escape. So we upgraded her to the "stubborn dog" collar. It vibrates before it sends out the correction and she responded pretty well to this. But when I finally got success was when we had done all of the above and then spent serious time REtraining the both.

The lesson is: it works fabulously for some dogs with the gentlest setting. Some dogs require the biggest zap possible. Depends on the dood. Now we have NO problems with it, even if the power is off. I think they grow a little less passionate about escape as they mature and you do have to keep tweaking things (batteries, settings, boundary checks) until you get it right. In other words, its a tool, not a guarantee. But I have a very curious baby and we finally know she's safe.

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
2doodsmom....hahhahahaahhahaaa sorry but i can't stop laughing

were you editing? or did the server goof up?
Cause here I read your 1st post.
then the blonde in me came out...started reading the 2nd one going wait a minutes sounds just like the previous one :shock:
it is
again and again
too funny!! ohh to think I was born a brunette with 2 blonde streaks :D

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
its like groundhog day :)

you can actually delete some of the post if you want 2doodsmom, but it is a good story even the third time :oops: :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hhhahahaa movistar I can't stop laughing ...WHOLEHEARTEDLY AND WITH YOU (NOT at you)

I think it's cute!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone I appreciate the suggestions (especially 2doodsmom :lol: :lol: ).
What I can't figure out is why some days Archie is fine and the next day he decides to go visiting. Now we know when Chester stands in a particular spot and barks to go see where Archie is. Its like Chester is telling on him.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Annette...dogs DO tell on one another. hahhaha it was a daily occurrence years ago when we had 2 dogs!!! I loved it!hahhahahha

and it helped when one would tell ME when the OTHER was eating my chocolate bar, sudafed, my last stick of butter, my gloves...etc

2 doodsmom.....wow thank YOU for telling us about CORNERS!!!
wow!!! I am putting in 2 acres of it in march hopefully. You may just be a lifesaver without knowing it. we have a 35mph speed limit here but people still do 60-65mph! :evil: it's the suburban to rural area.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I thought about Archie and his great escape its with some relief he keeps going the same 2 places...right next door or 2 houses over. I thought about the house across the street---the previous owners had a golden and I KNOW Archie would have gone to visit her. That could have been tragic!
As stubborn as Archie is...hubby is even MORE stubborn.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm so glad ya'll enjoyed my advice, my advice, my advice, my advice. LOL I actually have no idea what happened. I tried to post and it just froze, so I went to the kitchen, made a cup of tea, came back and it still hadn't posted. It was hours before I checked it again and finally it had. I don't think I pushed the post button again....but maybe I did. I'll try to delete the 3 extra pages of brilliant insight I blessed you all with!

G

·
Lisa,
That was great advice, great advice, great advice, great advice!
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!
:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
lisa

you're great.

lisa
you're great

lisa you're great

thank you
thank you
thank you