Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., I know this is about my terrier, but you guys are so great and I can never get a reply on the wire fox terrier forum...SO, anyway, this morning I went to bring the dogs in and Lizzie was nowhere to be found! I walked around the back yard, in the pouring rain..in my PJ's....calling her and she came from the FRONT YARD! Now, our back yard is fenced! I cannot see any holes that she dug or any places where her skinny body could possible get out! I am glad it was raining, because if it was nice out, she probably would have just ran away. Any suggestions? I'm afraid to let her even go out to pee at this point! Leslie

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Leslie, I know how scary that can be! Toby did that to us when we first got him. A friend of ours uses a clothes line with a lead looped on it so Sadie can come and go without running away. They have a hook on the side of the house to keep the lead within reach.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I don't have any ideas, but, I wonder if she somehow climbed over the fence. We fostered an Australian shepherd that climbed over the fence, but, after he did it once, he didn't do it again. Maybe because Lizzie is new she wanted to check out the front yard, too. It would be worrisome to know that she could get out if she wanted to.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
how high is your fence?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our fence in 4 ft. horse no-climb fencing....We 'patched' a few spots we thoguht she MIGHT bew able to get through with her skinny body. We'll see what happens tonight. I doubt I'll sleep at all worrying about her. I'll post tomorrw and let you know what happens...Leslie

G

·
Leslie, Another reason we need to fatten this baby up :lol: I would add some cheese to her food for a while and maybe some peanut butter in a kong for extra calories and fun.
I can sympathize. I'm just starting to trust the invisible fence, so I was still going out with her all the time.
I can just picture you following her around the yard tomorrow. I hope it does not rain :lol:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in Oregon..It will be raining until June! :lol: I give her string cheese for training and peanut better in her kong too. She is starting to eat good. I put dry kibble and canned food together and she gobbles it up! She also get a 'milk' bone or two throughout the day and the kong...I just hope she settles in o.k. I have already fallen in love wiht her and she and Calvin get along so well. I would hate to lose her. She is microchipped, but anyone could still steal her if they saw her raoming the streets...Thanks for the advice and concern...Leslie

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Terriers are known for their jumping...I would not be one bit surprised if she jumped a 4' fence!
I have seen these little pups jump like little jumping beans and they really do go high! Maybe she just hopped over it!
We have a fenced yard too, but had to enclose another area, with a top on it, so that our smaller puppies could play without fear of birds of prey getting to them...maybe you could look into kennels with tops...just a thought.

·
Registered
7 Posts
escaping

My sister has a 15lb poodle who jumps their 4ft fence. He actually jumps onto the rail, stands there with all four paws, and pushes over to the other side. I swear he is half cat. He is very sneaky about it too, it took them months of spying on him to finally catch him in the act!!!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I agree with the jumping scenario. We have a terrier down the street that "perches" on a 6 foot fence to watch what's going on out front. In the past, we have had to do an electic fence to keep our dogs from digging out. Perhaps there is something you can put on top on the fence to keep your baby from jumping.

And to add to Jacque's birds of prey comment. One of our neighbors at Eagle Lake has a fat little pug. He let the pug out one night around 10:00--unattended in an unfenced yard, which is something I would never do. After a few minutes he heard his pug yelping. He ran out assuming it was a coyote but, no, it was a huge great horned owl with its talons in the pugs sides desperately trying to get air born!! Our neighbor had to pull the owl off of the pug! The pug is fine and has a new respect for birds of prey! Good that he was a fat little guy!! :)
Diane (and Dakota)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts