Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you do? This goes in to more detail than you might want, sorry, but I'm beginning to wonder what is normal.

Cali had a normal poop when she went out first thing in the morning. We went on an hour long walk, during which she had a mushy poop. When we came home I put her food out ( 1 1/2 C. Canidae, all life stages kibble) and she didn't touch it all day until 6 p.m. After she was done, she'd go back and lick the bowl like she was still hungry. I put another cup out and she hasn't touched it. Haven't given her but a couple tiny treats all day.

When she was still growing, she would chow down each meal as soon as the bowl was put down. Now she's really picky and doesn't have that need to "eat right now" any more. I would think feeding 1 1/2 C. Canidae to a 66 lb. 1 yr. old dog twice a day, for a total of 3 C. Canidae normal. Am I wrong?

We had been using IAMS for large breed puppies before that, but she'd turned up her nose at that after awhile. Had more normal poops on that than on Canidae though. After reading about the food allergies and being concerned about her tendancy to yeasty ears and flakey elbows, I decided to try the highly recommended Canidae. Now I'm not sure what to do. :? Does this mean she's a free feeder and that I should put out 3 C. in the morning and not worry about it?

Sorry this was so long-winded. :shock:

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Same here Meg......both Raleigh and Molly get 1 1/2 cups in the morning and the same at night...sometimes they eat breakfast, sometimes they leave it...same with dinner....I wouldn't worry too much,,,sounds like she just likes to free feed...oh yeah..and when Raleigh was little, he too used to scarf down everything like it was his last meal....I think that now that they're a year old, their metabolism has slowed down, and they don't need to eat everything in sight!!! Hope this helps!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max used to free feed UNTIL we got Peanut which stopped that.

NOW most times Max woofs down his food immediately, whereas now Peanut sometimes waits a half hour or more. They also let me know when they're hungry...Max has let me know at 15mos he wants 2 meals a day.
and there has been times he hasn't finished all his food too.

I do know all dogs go thru changes in appetite and food from time to time

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver free eats and some times he is too picky
and just won't eat. I asked my vet when he was just in recently
and she said do not worry as sometimes they just do not feel like
eating. I give him yogurt in the morning (which he always eats) and then
I put down Canidae kibble and it usually sits all day. At around 5pm
he gets a can of Canidae or cut up chicken and oatmeal. The kibble that has been sitting all day gets gobbled up at 8pm. He is healthy so I am
not going to worry about it................

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies. I won't stress over this. I can see there's a wide range of normal, like anything else in life! :D

This morning Cali went right to the food I put out last night and ate it all up. She seems like she'll be a dog that eats when she needs to. I'll still put it out morning and night so that when she does need to board at a kennel, she'll be used to that routine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It could be that she doesn't like the food too. When my lab started with food allergies my vet recommended some duck food. Daisy didn't like it, the food would sit most of the day and I think she only ate it because she was hungry. I switched foods and she ate it all up. Now Murphy, the new puppy, wasn't diggin' on the food he's been eating since he was weaned so I mixed a bit of canned and he ate it up. If I were to put a bowl of dry kibble it would sit for most of the day, but if I mix in just a bit of the canned it's gone in a minute. I was never one to feed canned food, but if it gets my skinny puppy to eat than that is just what I'll do :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts