Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me whether there is a true difference between labs being called "English" vs. "American."

Also, does anyone have a preference as to which type of lab might be better for breeding a labradoodle?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Good Mornig, the info below is from this link. We had an American Chocolate Lab that we lost in January. K.C. was about 4 inches taller and not as stocky as the English Lab. Her head was more like a hound, not the block head. We prefer the look of the American Lab. I can't help with the breeding question but I hope this helps.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/labrador.htm

"There are two types of Labradors, the English Labrador and the American Labrador. The English bred lab comes from English bred stock. Their general appearance is different. The English bred labs are heavier, thicker and blockier. The American bred Lab comes from American bred stock and is tall and lanky."

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hiya, the English lab is more of a showy type & has plenty of bone, they are generally more heavy set and have more of a square muzzle! The American lab is finer boned, lighter and has a slightly longer muzzle, these are usually more the sporting type.
Allot of labradors nowadays are a mixture of the two & both types are nice. I have used an english lab with my SP for my f1 puppies. I prefer these as the poodle is lighter anyway & I hope to achieve labradoodles that are neither too light nor too solid! I think it depends on what your goals are when it comes to choosing a lab type, you need to set yourself your own breed standard & work with it, good luck :wink:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Good morning and welcome!
I am a breeder and in my studies of the breed, the original standards for Labradoodles include a boxy head (really...!) and a more broad chest, much like that of the English Labrador.
I don't know that anyone has come right out and said that English is preferred over American, but in my opinion, if you are striving for the "recommended standard" of the Labradoodle, you would consider this as an important factor.
I have two F1 Labradoodles, and they are siblings...however one takes after the Poodle side and she is lean and narrow in the face and shoulder area, the other takes after the Lab and I believe that her pedigree has English Labrador in it because she has a very nice head and chest for the Labradoodle standard.
I got most of my "standard" information from ILA (www.ilainc.com) and from the Rutland Manor site.
Hope this helps...still, much of the "preferred" look is a matter of personal taste and since these dogs are still evolving, you can find just about anything to suit your taste.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the information. I'd heard that the English Labs may have a calmer disposition based on the assumption that they are less likely to have been inbred than the American lab.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hmmm, I've not heard of the temperament issue...so I don't know. But, of course, when you get inbreeding then the good traits are enhanced...but so are the bad ones.

I think that if this is a concern, you could check the pedigree of the parent dogs you are considering and, if the records are accurate, you would be able to see if inbreeding is a problem.

G

·
Our 2 Labs that died recently were one of each - Daisy was the English & Patty was American & they definitely had very different looks, temperament & health. Daisy was much calmer, not easily riled up & was super healthy til the end - she was boxier, with a big square head & muzzle & was the stronger swimmer. Patty was much more skittish & excitable (which we attributed to her many, many health issues & poor genetics -- unethical breeding.) She was much sleeker, had longer legs & slimmer head & a much faster runner (field/hunting material) & though she also loved being in the water for hours, she was happier running in it than swimming in it.
Both were absolute sweethearts & we miss them like crazy.
Gabriele, Odie & Molly

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Gabriele, how are Odie and Molly doing? I think of you often and wonder how it is all working out for you...

I was going to write to you...so I'll just go off topic here and ask my question...if you don't mind my doing so...Chase, my Poodle, gets red eyes sometimes and often has the eye "goop" that collects in the corners...is there any type of holistic eye salve that you would recommend? My vet gives me something...but I'd rather get away from prescription drugs if possible. He doesn't have an inverted eyelid or anything...I think that he just gets hair in it. I try to keep it trimmed, but sometimes it gets away from me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to ask me any questions before you respond... Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts