Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reading the book "Marley and Me" which is a wonderful book. I highly recommend it for all you dog lovers. You will thoroughly enjoy it.

The topic of what type of Labrador Marley's parents were, English or American. I had no idea there were two different kinds. The owner determined that Marley had to come from the American breed because of his hyperness, etc.

American labs are lankier and taller and bred for field so they aren't as laid back. The English labs are smaller, stockier and more laid back. Since my Doodle's mom was around 35 lbs. I'm assuming she is the English type.

Anyone out there able to tell by looking at a picture of the parent which type they are?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
The Labrador retriever was Canadian, originating in Newfoundland as the St Johns Dog, or lesser Nwefoundland dog. And then brought back to England as the Labrador. English labs were imported to the US after WW1 to form the basis for American labs. I am not sure how to tell the two apart, but here is a litttle info on the topic.

http://www.labbies.com/history.htm

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I think that the English type is easier to spot because of the short lege and the very thick neck/shoulders...and very boxy head.
My Labradoodles' father was English...and Lexie looks just like him, except that she has her mother's beautfiul blue coloring and long, curly coat. But her build is very short legged, very heavy.
She's not fat...just extremely heavy. She and Bayley are the same height (and are littermates) but Bayley is 45 lbs and Lexie, last I weighed her, was 69 lbs! Bayley has longer legs, more evenly built, Lexie has short legs.
It's kinda cute!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
here's something else as it was mentioned the English Labs seem a tad less hyper.
MY breeder used to have an ENGLISH jack russell terrier which are much calmer and easier to train over the american ones. She had waited some time to obtain him as well soley for a family pet and said the difference was very noticble and other Jack Russell owners were amazed at how different the personalities were of Engish vs American.

And it's amazing how the labs can vary from short and stocky to taller leaner and more hyper.

NOW I wonder if there's a difference from the Mulit-gens and the F1's an F1bs.

Not trying to stir the pot but just making an out loud thought instead. :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
looks like a cross between choc lab and weimereiner (ir however it' spelled hahaha,,,great dog but I can't spell it)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Diane,

No, I missed that episode of The Dog Whisperer. Jorja growls during all of those shows so I've not watched as many lately.

I finished reading the book "Marley and Me" last night and bawled like a baby. What they went through with Marley's death brought back so many memories of when our Sadie died almost 4 years ago. Sadie was our family's Marley.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sue, I've seen this book everywhere I would go so finally decided to buy it and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I read in bed at night and found myself laughing outloud while reading so many of Marley's adventures (thankfully I didn't wake up my husband) . Definitely, needed the kleenex at the end of the book. Wow, I cried so hard.

Marley and Me by John Grogan http://marleyandme.com/

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I bought Marley and ME and I gave it as a xmas present to my fiance's parents :shock:
I sure hope they let us borrow it soon...all i know is they laugh alot when reading it. I heard about the beginning part of 'who's the father' HAHAHA

G

·
Me too, Gene! Best deal around with good customer service. :lol:
I already read Marley and Me and boy, did I feel lucky that Bella only chews woodwork or molding and shreds stuffed toys, and jumps on people and tries to bite hands :lol: Great story.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hahhaa i lov it GENE...i usually am the bargain hunter but for my boyfriend's parents ohhhhhh i forgot about price. They are the nicest sweetest people on earth and so generous of heart.

HOWEVER i want to read this book!!! hahahha and i have a problem with books. I am a read-aholic and love to own the books.

I have the total James Herriott collection 3 times now as in the past someone would always tug my heart and talk me out of my book!!! :shock:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts