Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dakata is being an absolute terror lately. He gets wound up and charges with all his might. While I was on my knees throwing balls for him, before I saw it coming, he threw himself at me with his front paws on my chest and knocked me flat on my back--twice! Then he gets wacko and runs like mad through the house. Are all doodles this energetic? I know he needs more exercise but he is too young to venture out yet. I do take him for short walks in our neighborhood because I know the dogs and we don't have strays, but that doesn't seem to be nearly enough. Did anyone else have this problem? If so, how did you work it out?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yep Bandit does that too... runs laps through the house around the "core"

and then comes at you in a full head of steam leaps onto your chest or over and landing upon the couch.

Pretty amusing really. not all the time, but occasionally occurs. Mostly he just likes to play keep away with a ball, bone, rope, or anything else.

That wears him out pretty well as it is running around quite a bit...

·
Registered
118 Posts
They'll grow out of it! I suppose all 3 are <6 months old? Sometimes later in the day (doesn't it typically happen sometime between 6-9 PM??), they have this energy surplus - we used to call it the "crazy doodle time" on this forum about a year ago I think ;) (seriously, search for "crazy doodle" and i'm sure you'll find posts about it!).

In any case - either make sure he's really well exercised (which is hard if he's still under the age of going to the dog park), or put up with the energy for a couple more weeks/months - i promise you it'll wear off (and from time to time you may even start to miss it!)

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you stand on your head and whistle while they do this craziness....and then wait for 3 or 4 years they should stop.

Hehe...it goes away with age...its a puppy thing that you gotta deal with.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm not saying they won't be puppy like anymore after 6-7 months, just that the evening-crazy-doodle-run-around-the-house-like-a-fool phase will pass by then. If the doodle's are anything like labs, they can indeed stay "puppies" until several years of age...

·
Registered
32 Posts
It sure is refreshing to read that all puppy doodles are nutso a couple of times a day, and yes--definitely between 6pm and 9pm for us. I guess at about 6:30 or 7pm she goes unsatiably wild and then, all of a sudden, between 8pm and 8:45 she'll just konk out. It's quite hilarious, but can be very exhausting to keep her behaviour in check. :roll: The kids sure get a kick out of it!

·
Registered
279 Posts
George and Grace used to do this more (they're 8 Mos. now) and they are definitely settling down. But they still get each other all geared up. For us it happens mostly when they've been outside together, then one of us humans goes outside. George (who would never dream of doing this any other time) will come racing from out in the yard, hit the patio and JUMP right up in your face. He's really happy to see us. But it's very scary because he has no clue how strong he is. I'm 120 lbs and 5' tall and I've been knocked flat. We've been working really hard with them to get this to stop and it is definitely happening less. Yeah, it is right when the household is busiest and most tired.... supper time and later.

You may think this is nuts, but I have actually had some success, when they get really wound up, with this stuff called "Buddy Spray." It's a between-bath "refresher" for dogs coats that smells like Lavendar/Mint. When I sit down and spray and brush the doodles with this stuff their eyes roll back in their heads and they look like they're in a trance. They LOVE it and it makes the whole house smell good. Makes me think there's something to aroma therapy for dogs.... Anybody else see their buddies go limp from a (pleasant) smell?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I went and checked the bottle. It's called "Buddy Splash" and is made by a company called Cloud Star. I got it in a funky little pet store on Orcas Island and I've been worried I'd run out. But you can buy it on their website...www.cloudstar.com.

I'm not kidding about how great this stuff is. At night, when the doods can be wound up, and I just want to wind down, I spray this stuff on them and brush them. They smell good and they seem to really like it. Which is amazing when you think about all the other stuff they like to smell......!

·
Registered
4 Posts
energy

I'm glad I'm reading all these subjects because I thought I was the only one having these problems. Jo, is now 1 yr. old, and still has the bursts of "run". My two dogs want to walk when "they think" dawn is breaking, so we walk the neighborhood. Then outside I throw whatever into the sandtrap at one end of the yard. She runs grabs it and tears to the other side of the yard and back/forth about 6-8 times at full speed. I have to stand back protecting 9 year old Sandy from her crashing into old Sandy. If Sandy happens to be in the "line of fire" she might just fly over her to come to a stop by knocking her down. She doesn't seem to want to do this crazy running any other time. And don't try to pick up a toy after the run to throw it or I get the teeth into my hand. Then I sit on the patio chair and give her belly rubs until she settles down to go inside. When she was younger, it was more often, usually with a plastic watering can by herself. I'm waiting for the day she just lies down with my old dog and takes a nap. The enthusiasm is great when you take her to the vet or groomer instead of dragging them in the door. So I'm thinking positive and being glad she's a happy dog.....I guess.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts