Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do Doodles stop pulling on the leash? Otto has a gentle leader but gets upset when we put it on, he goes and hides in his crate and does not like going for a walk, I have tried to get him to walk to heel without pulling, have even done a slow spacewalk saying slowly, much to strangers strange looks, but he still pulls my arm is aching, and he alsmost pulls me over

G

·
Hi Angie,
The Easy Walk Harness by Premier helped us alot.
http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?id=74
But I also am attempting to walk her with a regular collar and lead using the technique our trainer taught us at puppy preschool. It works very well, too.
Hold the leash close to your body at your bellybutton (I use both hands). When the pulling starts, use your body/hips to quickly jerk her back. It is hard to describe, but super easy to do. I even do a hop if she pulls very hard. This keeps your arms from getting sore and tired because you are using your body. The trainer said if you let her pull, pull, pull, then try to make her stop, it is just too confusing. And if you let her pull until your arm is outstretched, when you pull her back, the 'pull back' is too long and the dog just does not understand that you want a loose leash. The technique described corrects her just enough and then the leash goes slack, the way you want it to be. The goal is to keep the leash loose as much as possible. That is why during leash training you do not want to use a Flexi lead. There will always be 'pull' on a flexi lead and the dog is rewarded with more freedom when he pulls.
Good Luck. I feel so proud when she walks nicely :lol:

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm sorry Otto hates his Gentle Leader. I recently bought one on the recommendation of many and am singing it's praises. Sure, Calvin does not enjoy it at first..He rubs his nose on the groud for a few seconds, but he also knows it means we're going for a walk and as soon as we get going, he is distracted enough not to notice. It has cetainly made my life easier and our walks more enjoyable for both of us, I think. Have you tried putting it on him and just letting him wear it around the house without a leash attached? How old is Otto? Calvin is 13 weeks and we have had our leader for about 1 1/2 weeks....I hope you find something that works. You both deserve a good walking relationship....Leslie

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Otto is 23 weeks, I have been useing the gentle leader for 7 weeks, at the beginning he did not mind it, but now when he sees it he hides under the table so I am unable to put it on him. This evening I put his harness and collar on used two leashes harness and collar this worked as I had control of him if he tried to jump up at anyone and the harness he does not pull with. The whole situation is strange, it depends on what mood he is in. I have heard the gentle harness is good, has anyone used this?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Archie hated his Gentle Leader, too, although it worked like magic. But he would run from me when he saw me get it out.

I recently started using the Easy Walk Harness and it works great, and it doesn't seem to bother him at all. It makes the pulling much more manageable, but it doesn't help for other issues i.e. jumping on people. Still a great tool, though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a puller also. He is too strong for me to walk in the way trainers have suggested (with leash to my middle). The Gentle Leader did not work for us, he figured out how to wriggle out of it, and anyway, it was too hard to catch him, he hated it. I guess at some point I will have to hire a private trainer for this particular problem, but in the meantime, I am using a harness type collar which makes it more manageable, at least he doesn't choke to death!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Have you put the leash way up high right behind his ears like Cesar Millan suggests? I did this with my chain collar so he would not choke, and it seemed to work well. Took the pressure off his throat and gave me control of his head. Leslie

·
Registered
279 Posts
For us the prong collar is indespensible. Lots of people object to it because it LOOKS so nasty, but it absolutely beats jerking on a regular collar (and certainly a choke chain) for safety and comfort. Try it on yourself and you'll see. The "prongs" actually keep the collar from squeezing down on the trachea, and dogs respond to far less pressure with it. I've come to use them all the time with the doods, as I did with my OESheepdog. We consider it safe "power steering" and it totally stops the pulling.

·
Registered
19 Posts
2doodsmom said:
For us the prong collar is indespensible. Lots of people object to it because it LOOKS so nasty, but it absolutely beats jerking on a regular collar (and certainly a choke chain) for safety and comfort. Try it on yourself and you'll see. The "prongs" actually keep the collar from squeezing down on the trachea, and dogs respond to far less pressure with it. I've come to use them all the time with the doods, as I did with my OESheepdog. We consider it safe "power steering" and it totally stops the pulling.
Mine pulls with the prong collar, if you can believe it. He just pulls and chokes/coughs over and over. It's very sad.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Wow. I don't think I've ever heard of a prong collar not working.... Live and learn... Is your dood really wooly? I think the links come in different sizes. My OESheepdog had to have huge, scary looking links, but otherwise with all his fluff he didn't feel anything.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I used prong collars because I'm 110 pounds and my dogs are 125 pounds combined. But, they started to pull on the prongs, so I don't use them anymore. I stopped using the prong collars when Duke got excited when he saw another dog and lunged (out of excitement!)- he hit the end of the prong collar and it jerked him back so hard. It really scared him, and I hate knowing that it hurt him. Now we use the gentle leader headcollar and easy walk harness. It controls Duke's body so he can't lunge like he used to. I really like both of them, but the easy walk harness it easier to handle than the headcollar. Prong collars definitely don't work for every dog, and I don't recommend them any more.

Bridget, Summer, and Duke

1 - 11 of 11 Posts