Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tyke had her next-to-last class in basic obedience at Petco last night - she graduates next week. The class was going GREAT - I was actually working with her off leash and she was doing a wonderful job! The biggest problem I have had with her during the class is that she tends to jump and try to get in my lap whenever she is not the center of attention. She had even gotten better with that, and did it only a couple of times during the 1 1/2 hour class. (as oppposed to every 30 seconds when we first started class!)

Suddenly, near the end of class, our trainer looked over at us and said "Oh my God - are you BLEEDING?????" I looked down and blood was POURING down my hand!!! Evidently, during one of her few jumping episodes, she caught my hand with a claw or a tooth - I didn't even feel it. It was right on top of a vein, so of course, there I was, bleeding like the proverbial "stuck pig." The trainer ran out of the doggie area to get me a band-aid, and Tyke, still off leash, took off after him. There I stand, with a paper towel on my hand, trying to stop the bleeding, while Tyke runs amok in Petco! Then she heads for the front door, a shoplifted bully stick in her mouth, to finally be tackled by one of the store attendants! At last, the trainer came back with the band-aid, we stopped the bleeding and cleaned up, and I collected my dog (AND her new bully stick) and left without my dignity! :oops: Tyke, of course, thought it was an absolute HOOT, and enjoyed all the Petco employees chasing her around the store! :roll: And, she got a new bully stick out of the deal (it was so spitty by then, I HAD to buy it for her!!)

And the worst part - I have one more class with this poor trainer!!!! :oops:

·
Registered
333 Posts
:lol: :lol:

I can just picture Tyke running through the store with employees on her tail! Thanks for the morning laugh.

Hope your hand is better as well as your dignity!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Tyke, of course, thought it was an absolute HOOT, and enjoyed all the Petco employees chasing her around the store! :roll: And, she got a new bully stick out of the deal (it was so spitty by then, I HAD to buy it for her!!)

Good Grief someone needs to train the Petco Employees to run from a dog if they want to catch it :roll: Leave it to a Doodle to take it upon itself to train Dog Trainers :lol: :lol: :lol: I think Tyke earned that Bully stick :wink: Are treats allowed in class? If so watch Tyke closely, when she starts to prepare for a jump drop a treat on the ground and praise. It won't take too long for Tyke to figure out the rewards come when she stays on the ground not in your lap where she's rewarded with 'attention'. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Oh Tyke you are so entertaining :lol: :lol: I can just picture your Petco adventure in a children's book. Tanner never made it to off leash training in any of his classes...I can just imagine what would have happened :wink:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I'm crying from laughing at reading this...

I hope your hand is better!!! I'm sure Tyke enjoyed her bully stick!!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My hand is fine, thanks! It really was just a tiny little scratch in just the WRONG place! My dignity may never be the same, however! :oops: MTD, you are so right - had they all thought to run FROM Tyke, she would have come right back!! I like your advice about dropping the treat when she is about to jump - we do use treats in class, and I can usually tell by the look in her eye when she is about to make the leap - will definitely try it next time.
One bright spot - the way tyke was dodging the employees and the displays as she raced through those aisles - she should be AWESOME at agility!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ahhahaaaaaaaaaa HIGH 5 to ya lil TYKE!!!!
i just had such a good laugh.......and a visual of Tyke giving the store employees some good cardiovascular exercise hahahhaaa!!!

TYKE is one smart dog, she got a good CHASE going! along with a bully stick! yup she's a smart one :wink:
oh glad to hear your hand is okay
and i can't WAIT to hear about next week's class hahahhaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PRAY FOR US NEXT WEEK..... :roll:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Tyke you are so smart.
Having everyone chase you and all the attention
and still get a new bully stick..........

You are my hero for sure

Woof woof
Denver

G

·
Hahaha, this was a great description of the events! I can't stop laughing! Kim, just work with Tyke all week on not jumping and the trainer will be amazed! Hold your head up high! I think the trainer probably is more embarrassed than you...just think of all the customers in the store who said, "Wow, I won't use that trainer!" :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Well Kim...since you and Tyke are okay, I have to tell ya I LMAO!! My husband even wanted me to read this to him...........this is too, tooooooo funny!!
Your writing is fabulous! You have a way of saying things where I could completely envision this calamity taking place!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for the compliment, Lindamarie! Maybe Tyke has found a new career for me, in her own crazy way! I might just have to write a book about Tyke's exploits!!! And Linda, I did do some work with Tyke myself at lunch, and I think I have cured her. Her favorite thing in the world (other than rob Petcos) is to play fetch. If she jumps on me when she brings her ball back, I just get up, shut the door to the sunroom, and leave her out there alone for a minute. Only had to do that TWICE! Now she drops the ball, sits politely, and waits for me to throw it.
I just hope she hasn't figured out that she needs to go through all the drama in Petco just to get a bully stick!!! Also followed some earlier advice from MTD - when she gives me that "I'm about to jump" look, I tossed a treat on the floor - she picked that up quickly too.

I'm not sure what that says about Tyke....she is obviously very smart (like all our doodles), and KNOWS how to behave...she just doesn't WANT to!! :shock: Psycho Tyko strikes again!!!! (Anybody know a good doodle exorcist??? :twisted: )

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
"The Excellent Adventures of Tyke" - yes, it could be a bestseller. :)

What a funny story. I'm glad you both survived. You will have to return for the last class to redeem yourselves. :D

Deb

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Too funny! Thanks for the laugh. Yes, your descriptions are wonderful. I can just close my eyes and envision the whole thing! I hope your hand heals quickly and that your next class isn't as embarrassing for you! Tyke, you are a little rascal!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I read your story again and laughed almost as hard as the first time :)

Kirby is very "fetch motivated" like Tyke. We have made big improvements in his training by encorporating it into a game of fetch :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts