Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use an elevated dog feeder. I have read that they are good for taller dogs. I have also read that they can cause bloat and the twisting of the stomach.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
My *personal* feeling on this is that unless a dog has a medical problem that keeps them from being able to reach the ground, then buying one of these is unnecessary - Dogs eat off the ground in the wild, so why take the risk?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've always elevated the food and water bowls because one of our dogs is a Great Dane and this was recommended. I have heard arguments against elevation as well. All that I can say is that our Dane is 6 years old and we've not had a problem with bloating.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I started out with an elevated feeder for Dante. However, one of our good friends lost a dog and it was attributed it to an elevated feeder. That scared me and we quit using it.

Heather

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Huh... I've never heard that you shouldn't use them. I'm gonna have to do a bit of research on that.

Charlie has an elevated bowl. He still leans down to eat but not down to floor level. I like it because it keeps the two bowls in place. They are not getting pushed around all over the kitchen.

Just when you think you're doing the right thing....

Deb

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We use one very similar to the one you posted, Deb. The difference is the height is adjustable (we have it on the lowest setting) and there is room to store toys in it. Dex eats from this and Kirby has just a normal bowl on the ground. I only got the elevated feeder for the storage aspect and because it holds the bowls in place. I've heard arguments for and against them...

·
Registered
56 Posts
The labs I grew up with never used elevated bowls and were just fine but I did use such a bowl when I had my Great Dane as it alliviates the chance for bloat in the giant breeds. I would say with a medium sized dog it is really your choice as they do ok either way.

Chad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts