Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had a problem with their puppies realizing if they run really fast or leap into the garden they can avoid repeated zaps from the electric fence? Once they are in they run around like it's the Indy 500 Speedway and destroy my plants. We are thinking of adding more wire and snaking it through the beds so they would not have a "safe zone" . Any thoughts? I am still going to mke them their own garden but have not had the time to plan it out yet. Some days they could try the patience of a saint!!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I know what you mean. We live in a rural area and have no fence except "natural fencing" like shrubs and tress. Well, my pooch can wander around (when I am outside with him) and have acres of places to explore, but he wants to go to the only neighbors we've got and steal things from the yard....like dolls and kids toys. He knows he's not supposed to, because as soon as I see him inching towards that side of the property, I call his name and say "NO". He looks at me, thinks about it...THEN RUNS FOR IT....we have considered an electric fence, but have heard that many dogs figure out that what yours has...Its worth the shock! Sorry I'm no help. Good Luck! Leslie

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am an expert on this subject! Not on purpose....but I have dealt with EXACTLY this problem. I have two puppies and am the official underground fence installer, fixer and trainer.

We are on rural acreage and can't use a regular fence. We also have lots of garden areas that doodles would wreck in no time. The neighbors keep sheep - dogs here can be shot if found running free. We installed an underground fence when the pups were about 5 months old.

Grace figured out that she could jump high enough at the boundary that she could actually avoid the static altogether. It was really funny seeing her back up and take a flying leap right over this imaginary line! But it was extremely frustrating too. Over the course of months we tried all sorts of things, including shaving the hair where the probes are, getting longer probes, increasing the boundary width, etc. Everything helped a little, as did, of course, training with a lead. But one day I found Grace in the yard chewing up the collar and the receiver unit. We almost gave up.

But we couldn't, so as a final effort I ordered the "stubborn dog" receiver. It is LESS expensive than the other ones and it delivers a vibration and an annoying tone before it "zaps". The static is a little stronger, too. It worked wonders and we have had NO problems with doodles getting out since then. They have about 3 acres to run free in and the gardens are outside the perimeter, so no more torn up plants and my doods are safe.

I know a lot of folks have a problem with the idea of the static correction, but I used it on myself before I allowed it on my puppies. It is quite unpleasant, but not exactly painful. In any case it's better than the doods getting into the sheep or out onto the road.

My advice is to keep working with it. I rearranged the wire and extended it several times before I got it just right, but now we never even think about it. (Except last week my husband hit the line with the tractor! I have a little repair kit I keep ready all the time)

Sorry this is so long. Sometimes I DO run on...

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I watched Lani leap over that imaginary line tonight, it is funny till she gets in the garden and wreaks havoc. I think Toby (4 months and 38 lbs.) is on the stubborn dog setting already! :shock: Where did you get the stubborn dog receivers, I believe ours ours came with the system. Maybe a different collar will work. I'll give anything a try. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You can buy just the receiver if this is the brand of fence you have:

http://www.radiofence.com/receiver_stubborn_dog.htm

Is there a certain place that Lani jumps? If it's the same place each time, there might be too tight a curve or corner in the wire. When that happens it cancels out the signal in just that spot. Also check to see if you have any big metal stuff near the transmitter (washing maching, car etc.) These can sometimes interfere with the signal.

Let me know how it works. I even have a wireless transmitter in the house that communicates with this collar/receiver. Keeps the doods out of the cat litter.... Good luck.

Feel free to PM me if I can answer any more questions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts