Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got Willy two months ago (2nd generation - labradoodle mom and standard poodle dad), he's almost five months now and is almost perfect. The main problem is whenever he's outside he constantly grubs for dirt, rodent poop, etc. We've even found small stones in his feces (the dog day care facility where we take him has a gravel play area).

Has anyone had a pet with or heard of this obsession before and have any suggestions? :? We dont want him eating something harmful and it's a constant challenge to divert his attention.

·
Registered
294 Posts
otto plays with gravel and chews it but as far as I know he has not eaten it, but if he finds any paper hankies on the ground he eats them, yuck!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback Angie. We have been working with "leave it" and "drop it" as well as fun games and exercise when in the back yard to keep him distracted. This helps, but when he finds the bare spots in the lawn he starts chewing. We also have a large planting area around the perimeter, and he LOVES chewing on all the bark. I guess it must be the 1/4 lab in him!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Last week Grace was chewing a rawhide and got a giant chunk down her throat. She was choking when we got to her and my husband stuck his hand down her throat to grab it, but it went on down. We called the vet right away and he said, amazingly, that if she got it down, it would probably dissolve from the high acidity in her stomach and would digest completely. I told him about the rocks and sticks and bugs and slugs and dirt clods she always eats. He said that most things just pass on through and not to worry, unless it's large and indigestible (like the butcher knife he had removed from a labs' stomach) or stretchy and fibrous, like pantyhose or toweling. He said the fibrous stuff was the most dangerous because the fibers separate and can get caught all throughout the digestive tract becoming impossible to remove.

So gravel and rocks, I wouldn't worry about. But they do find the darnedest things to eat, don't they?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
almost the same story....

our duncan (black lab) snitched a prime rib bone last Christmas and before we could get to him swallowed the whole thing (and boy did we run fast but he sure is quick!). I swear it was like an inch and a half wide and like 8 inches long. It was enormous. Vet said no worries it will dissolve.
Our vet said swallowing blankets are dangerous. Luckily we havent had that happen (yet ;))

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hello Dee, glad you joined us!
I have also struggled with dogs that dig and eat just about everything they can dig up...they much prefer the forbidden, stinky stuff to the expensive toys and chewiew we continue to offer!
Most of the time it is not a worry...but do keep an eye on your pup...if you notice any problem eating/drinking or pooping...a vet visit is in order...those are signs of a blockage.
My vet told me that he operated on a Lab once and found over a half a pound of gravel! Sooooo, watch for it to come out...I don't think gravel will dissolve!
I believe that you are already doing the best thing you can...by teaching drop it and leave it. If you get those commands down, you will be so happy with the results!
By the way, eating poop is really gross to humans, but common for dogs and the pup will usually outgrow that phase...thank goodness...just try to keep it from him because he can pick up parasites or disease from the other animals.
Even with all of this, don't be overly concerned...just aware. Your pup is very, very normal!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yep, my Pippin, who is just 4 1/2 mos. old seems to love the leaves, the bark, the acorns :shock: , and everything he can "puppy vac" up in my house ...including every teenie tiny crumb dropped by one of my four teens in the kitchen. I just do my best to keep up and keep stuff away as best I can. So far, none nothing seems be bothering him so I'll just keep his vet informed with each visit and hope he grows out of it.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi, welcome!
Where is Shingle Springs CA? Anywhere near us? (Willits)
Glad you joined us, we'd love to see a picture of Pippin!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'll provide a picture as soon as i get a chance. Shingle Springs is in El Dorado County, past El Dorado Hills and before Placerville. Where is Willits?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
PippinDoodle said:
I'll provide a picture as soon as i get a chance. Shingle Springs is in El Dorado County, past El Dorado Hills and before Placerville. Where is Willits?
wow I know where placerville is ;) and fiddletown :) lol
you are in the country girl!

·
Registered
94 Posts
As I was reading these posts, I felt compelled to send this FYI. A number of years ago (before we had our doodles)--our little mutt Bingo chewed on a dirty old throw rug by the backdoor. It was one of those types that unravels in one long string as it comes loose. To make a long story short he ended up eating over 30 feet of the rug. According to the vet once something hits the back of a dogs throat the swallowing reflex goes into action and they can not stop. Since the rug came apart all in one piece he consumed alot of rug !! He ended up having emergency surgery--and nearly did not survive. Weeks and $3000 later he made a complete recovery. He is now 14 years old and still going strong ! Sharing his domaine with Doodles Lizzie and Louie. The vet told us this is a fairly common occurence. Sooo----If your dogs are chewers please keep this in mind ! All that sort of stuff has been baned from my house. As a postscript--Bingo was not a chewer by nature--we had just had to put down our other elderly dog and he was sad.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Pippindoodle, we are in Mendocino County...way up north! Looks like we are not too close. Dang!

About the rug eating...oh, how awful! I have read that the worst thing a pup or adult dog can eat is something with threads. They wind around intestines and cause all kinds of serious trouble. So, rugs, towells, blankets, toys, washcloths, anything with threads should be carefully watched and avoided. It is hard to keep our pups away from that stuff, but hearing your story certainly reminds me to be more cautious! Thanks for sharing...and I am so glad that your story turned out okay (costly, but okay.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts