Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little girl Gracey just loves to eat rocks. The problem is they seem to get bigger and bigger. She throws up and they come out so I am worried they may be hurting her little tummy and throat.

My question is how do I stop this habit or do they just out grow it? I worry it may be hurting her.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
My adult dogs also do this but there are the softer rocks, which I know probably doesn't make since but they break down easier. I have never found away to keep them from doing it except keep them away from them. :?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Otto chews on garden gravel or chippings, but dont think he has ate any yet. They must be bad for them as how do they get digested, or they could lodge somewhere.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Harold! Oh, my! I am afraid that little Gracey has inherited this trait...her mother and aunt Lexie used to eat rocks too. And although it is common, it can be harmful.
When my girls did this I asked the vet and he said that once he had a Lab brought in, they had to do surgery and he had 3 lbs of gravel in his gut!
I don't think that Gracey is in such danger because you say that she is throwing them up...which is good. Still, she will be much better off if you can get her to stop (she will probably outgrow it, but it will take a long time. I don't know when my dogs stopped, but now, at age 2, I never see them eating rocks.)
Perhaps you can teach her the "leave it" and "drop it" commands. I think that these are the two best commands you can teach. They have different purposes. You can't say "leave it" when the dog already has it in its mouth...that calls for a "drop it" command. "Leave it" is good if you see them going for something but not yet getting it.
I checked the internet and there are many articles about eating rocks and lots of speculation about why it is done, but most often it appears that they are all guessing. I have not seen definate reasons for this activity...BUT all agree that it can be very harmful.
Some say to stay with your dog constantly, of course that is not possible...others say that your dog could be suffering from diseases that show he is lacking some neutrient...personally, I think that they just LIKE to do it! Most of the articles say to use the "leave it" command.
Keep a close eye on her...mention this to your vet and see what they say to do. If she seems to have a blockage at any time, get her in for an x-ray.
Once I thought that Bayley had a blockage (because she ate so many wierd things) but they x-rayed her and she didn't ... so if Gracey is throwing up the rocks and if she is still eating and drinking and pooping normally, she is probably fine. But keep an eye on her and try to teach her the commands to stay away from rocks.
You might also try distraction...oh, and make sure that she has LOTS of chewies.
I am sorry that you are going through this...but I do believe it is common with many types of dogs.
Please keep me posted...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jac, this weekend I am going to remove all the gravel from the area that she seems to go get them. I worry about her getting sick from that. I will take your advice.

Hope all is well and I will update you again soon.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hey Harold,
I just noticed that you are in Phoenix! I'm going to be planning a 2nd doodle romp for October and I hope you will consider coming. I've already met Max who is one of Jac's pups and I would love to meet Gracey too!

And about the rocks..... Coal and Frenchy did that too. Frenchy did it far more than Coal to the point where if my mother couldn't be with her outside, she had to wear a muzzle (poor girl!). I think she's outgrown it now though at 10 1/2 months so maybe there's hope!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Stacy that is great that you are doing another romp! Max has moved to CA, but it will be so great if Harold/Gracey can come...AND I have another puppy in Phoenix! I'll send a private email to you to tell you how to reach the family of our other pup...his name is Jack!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stacy we should attend with no problem just let me know. Gracey will love it.

Well the rock issue has hope then, I just worry about that little girl. She is our baby and it just breaks you up when they are throwing up as I know how much I hate that. I am going to work with her to get her to stop.

She has so many toys, but just like kids the toys do not entertain them as much as tree limbs, rocks, sprinkler heads, grass, paper, clothes and anything else that is not a toy.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Boy, isn't that the truth? Remember when your children would rather play with the huge box that something came in than an expensive toy? Yep, I recall...and our dogs are just the same!
Harold, I am so touched that you worry about little Gracey...thank you so much for loving her!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Harold you are such a caring soul, we all hope for our puppies to be in homes such as yours. I'm sure Gracie's rock chewing saga will soon come to an end with your guidance, take care :)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hey, Harold and Stacy! If I can't come to your Romp, how about if I send a couple of our doodles?? :wink:

I have a client who has become a friend and has 3 doodles! (2 from me, one from a friend/colleague) I would love to know the details of your Oct. Romp so that I can be sure to tell her. She's a realtor so she works weekends and might not make it but we can try, right?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi Maureen,
Of course we would LOVE to see some more doods.... especially your pups! When I figure out the wheres and whens for the next romp, I would love for you to let your client know about it. I really think it's gonna be a HUGE romp this time. I am toying with the idea of looking for "sponsers".... you know like if a business wants some advertising, maybe they can provide some goodies for the doodle owners. I would be soooo happy if you could make it!! I would love to have anyone from this board come. The more the merrier and I have a spare bedroom with bath - first come first served :lol: I'll keep you posted!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stacy let me know more info when you have it. I work for a big company that has usually been good about doing sponsorships.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts