Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We think we may have figured out Lincolns eating habits. He WILL eat though still slowly but only late evening. It is only .60 LB of meat. This morning i gave him dry and he doesnt even want to bother with it. He wouldnt eat in his crate or any other room however when he ate last night it was a part of our kitchen that i then put a baby gate across.

13 months is still considered a puppy right? On avg how much does the avg doodle eat daily?

Anyone else feed their doodle only 1x? My 2 little dogs do however with big dogs i was always told 2xs to avoid bloat?

Thanks,
Michele

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
we feed 2x, about 2% of their bodyweight. Gus needs 2x or he would be cranky!!, Hershey would be happy with 1x but we feed them together. If yours doesnt want to eat in the am for a while i wouldnt force it. a healthy dog wont starve it self. i would try morning meals every other day and see if it makes a difference.

Edit. LOL after i wrote this Hershey didnt eat her breakfast! i just put it back in the fridge, she'll get it for diner.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Lincoln might be sensing your stress over his eating. Like Kingston Todd said, I don't think he'll starve himself. Maybe a schedule and being matter of fact about it will help. He's probably still settling in.

G

·
I agree. Plus if it's dry food can you just leave it down all day and he can eat if and when he wants? I don't have this prob with Maya so I am not much help.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
They'll usually decide for themselves what/how much they'll eat. As long as it keeps them fit and healthy it's no problem.

The concern with eating only once a day would be if he was gobbling large amounts that one time and had stomach problems from it. Poodles are known to do that...

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Just an outloud thought here:

1. Funny but in the past I remember most of our dogs down to one meal a day by 1.5yrs old but with doodles seems as if most like 2x a day

2. I am in agreement that your doodle can pick up on your stress. dogs can sense things better than us humans.

3. I find some mornings my doodles eat slowly and less whereas in the evening usually they are hardier eaters for the most part.
we've gone thru stages where peanut would eat less for a week or so then start to eat more. Max the same.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
MaxandMe said:
Just an outloud thought here:

2. I am in agreement that your doodle can pick up on your stress. dogs can sense things better than us humans.
Or change.

·
Registered
576 Posts
blueteal said:
Denver still gets 3 meals a day, that is what works for him............
Sadie kind of does too. Right now she gets kibble & canned for breakfast.
Raw in the late afternoon and at about 8 p.m. she gets a little bit more kibble & canned. So it's kind of 2 1/2 meals a day. You'll find what works.
It's constantly changing still for us and we've had Sadie for five months!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
it may seem alot..but, he finishs everything and still look s
for more..l

all dry..2 cups at 6am..1 cup at 11am..and everyone eats at
3pm..Toby wolf s down another 2 cups ..

then a few treats..and the wife give s him a chicken dog
befor bed time..

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
IN RAW feeding it's common for them to skip meals. Abby does the same thing. Sometimes I cut a piece of meat off the leg or breast and hand feed a small piece or two then she starts pulling the meat off the bone herself (lazy?) Almost like "daddy cut my meat for me" :roll: I'm with KT I feed 2% of adult weight guessing Abby will top out at 50-55#'s. She's 9.5 months old. Abby seems to be self regulating her meals and is doing quite well :D

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Its funny how they self regulate sometimes. We just got back from the vet, Hershey was 69lbs, and he said he would like her around 65. I figured i would add a little more exercise, maybe steal a scoop of food from her bowl and put it in Gus' bowl (they usually get the same). Instead, she skipped a meal yesturday, and she insn't eating breakfast today. Her energy and everything is normal so i dont think she is sick, she just knows she could lose a few for bathing suit season. lol.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Tyke seems to go through eating "phases" too...we try to feed her twice a day, at breakfast, and again around 6 when we come home from work. On the weekends or holidays, she likes to eat around 7:30 AM or so, but during the work week, she often won't touch breakfast, even though I give it to her around the same time! We save it for her in the fridge, and she will usually eat when we come home for lunch. When she does that, I feed her a little later at night, around 8 or so. I think she just likes to keep me guessing...... :?

·
Registered
385 Posts
uhh dog's self regulate their food?! My doodles are food maniacs... one time they got into a 4lb bag of food that we were trying out and they ate the WHOLE THING :shock: Talk about bloated bellies and gas :cry:

Manchie and Brie eat pretty much anything I put in their bowls and they eat 3x a day. I tried to cut back to 2x and Manchie started grazing and eating poo again so I'm sticking to 3x since it works for them... they are 14 months old and I think they might still need the access to instant energy since they are so active.

:)
Sarah

1 - 14 of 14 Posts