Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charlie keeps eating everything he can get his mouth on, and it's getting frustrating. If my kids are coloring, he'll steal their crayons off the table while they're not looking and eat it. If they are playing a board game, he'll steal the pieces and try to eat them. I caught him with a domino in his mouth, a real one, not a cheap plastic one. What he planned on doing with it I don't know. He'll take blankets off the couch and socks out of the laundry. He's even started to eat his poo in the backyard. He has never done this until the last week or so. Why do you think all of a sudden he wants to eat everything he can get his mouth on? Is it an attention thing? We have been doing a lot of work around the house on weekends, so I don't know if he feels neglected?

Other than it being very frustrating telling him to drop something every 10 minutes (he'll only do it for me, so the kids are yelling at him all the time, not realizing he won't listen to them), I'm afraid he'll eat something that will really get him sick.

Thanks for any advice,
Bill

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I'm not sure how old he is or how big he is, but it could be that he's hungry. Maybe he's going through a growth spurt?

I have a friend whose dog did that. One evening the dog got double suppers (her hubby didn't know she already fed him) and that night he quit eating and destroying everything. She didn't even think about the dog being hungry, just thought it was a "phase" he was going through.

Now being a doodle parent myself, I'm not saying that it will help, but worth a try. At least for a while, then go back down to normal when he seems like he's better at self control...ok, maybe that's not how I'd put it, but you get the idea!

G

·
I read that if you put a little pineapple in his food he will not eat his poo cause it tastes to bitter. As for the rest of it I'm no help. I hope he stops soon!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe I'll try feeding him some more to see if it helps. He's a year old and is 79#. We feed him twice a day, just about 2 cups each time. Maybe he is going through a spurt, I'll give it a shot and see if it helps. I'll try the pineapple thing too, I'll try anything to end that disgusting habit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Murphy is only 16 weeks and eats everything! I had some mulch in the planters that was kinda big and he kept eating it so I replaced it with more finely shredded mulch and he ate that too! He eats crayons (his poop can be very colorful at times), he's eaten a balloon (that took 2 days to pass), he steals socks and underwear out of the laundry and chews on them, thankfully he hasn't swallowed one yet. If it's on the floor he eats it! oh, and rocks, he picks those up outside all the time. I have to watch him and the kids all the time, cause if they drop it or leave it on a table he can reach, it's gone.

Sorry, I have no advice, just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to know I'm not alone. I'm just frustrated because it seems to be getting worse. He knows it's wrong too, as soon as he sees that he's caught, he cowers down and puts his tail between his legs.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner went though an eating stage no crayons, balloons or poop but plenty of mulch, grass, rocks, anything he could find on our walks.

At 79# and 1 yr old, that doesn't seem like enough food. Most days Tanner who is 15 months and 54# eats 4 cups kibble, 1/4 chicken breast, 1/4 C yogurt, plus treats such as carrotts, apples.

You may want to give him more things to chew on...The Merrick tank bones are a blessing..warning though, I would only let him have them when you are around. The only time Tanner gets any large chunks off them is in the beginning when he pulls of some of the tendon and skin...I grab it those pieces and throw them away. I also use braided rawhide (US) I know that some don't like to give rawhide but the braided ones are so hard that one will last Tanner for weeks. Another good chew is a Ziggy..though they don't last very long.

Another thought, how much exercise does he get...tired doodle + good doodle.

Finally, now that Tanner is 15 months he has stopped his grazing. We can now let him have run of the yard and not worry about what he will eat. I am saying this to give you hope and to say...don't give up...this won't last forever.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He does have plenty of bones and toys (mostly kong type stuff - nothing else will hold up). I'm going to try feeding him more to see if it helps. I admit that lately we haven't been giving him as much exercise as he probably needs, so that's something else we have to work on. Over the summer it was easier getting his exercise in, but with it getting dark so early now, it;s much more difficult.

·
Registered
462 Posts
ok ^.^ I saw an episode of "It's Me or the Dog" with a dog like this, but the owner wasn't feeding him quality food. I didn't want to say that before I asked. But Iam's is good, so I don't think that's the problem. I'd say he's looking for more nutrients though, if he's eating everything, including his own poo. So, more food might be the option, along with exercise. Not that I'm one to talk, because I've be lax about Napa's walking, but Napa doesn't terrorize anything, either!

Best of luck!

*edit* Oh Victoria also used an air can (like the ones found to clean computers) as a deterrent. It's just air, so its unpleasant when sprayed at them, but its not a negative thing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Emily is like Murphy and this weekend we ended up at the emergency room because she would not stop throwing up. Ended up being a piece of a stick she ate somewhere even though I watch her 24/7 :D Almost feels like keeping her locked somewhere until she is through this eat everything phase. :( :( :( . It is scary sometimes....

·
Registered
523 Posts
Boyd went through a stage where he he stole everything in sight and tried to eat it, including his poop and that was at about a year old.

He's seventeen months now and has, for the most part, stopped this behavior.

Let us know what happens!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Boyd went through a stage where he he stole everything in sight and tried to eat it, including his poop and that was at about a year old.

He's seventeen months now and has, for the most part, stopped this behavior.
Dexter (at 16 mos) is still very excited about stealing and running from us with what he steals. Luckily he doesn't eat these things, but just is trying to get us to play with him.

I would advise feeding more and maybe leaving more chew toys around for him. If he steals something, calmly take it back and replace it with a dog toy. Although this clearly hasn't helped much with Dex yet, I'm hoping it will at some point.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Angel is a crayon eating doodle as of late! She has even eaten a seatbelt in my van :evil: :evil: She hasn't been a chewer and has stuffed toys from age 8 weeks! She is 10 mos. old. now (50-55#). Good idea about feeing more. I may try that myself. She has been eating 1.5 cups twice a day for a while.
I'll be curious, Bill if feeding more helps...keep us posted.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm going to start with feeding him some more, and maybe pick up a few more chew toys, even though he has plenty. Maybe the novelty of something new will keep him out of trouble.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
We started the pineapple for poop yesterday. Miko has been poop eating lately, and has introduced Jonah to the "joys" of poop cuisine! :shock: Hopefully, this will work. I may increase Miko's food also....she is actually getting an appetite....finally! :wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts