Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sawyer's obedience trainer suggested the Easy Walk harness as an alternative to the prong collar. Sawyer was walking well on the prong collar, but when he became overly excited by another dog or a squirel or a child or whatever, he would strain at the collar and sometimes yelp. I was somewhat skeptical about a harness because I have seen dogs that where them tugging their owner's along, but this harness, which clips in the front, works on their oppositional reflex. With minimal correction, Sawyer was heeling and it easier for me to control him when he wears the harness. Just wanted to share...

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Susana, thanks for the information. I have heard good things about this harness too.
Regular harnesses are not good because it actually makes the dog stronger...but the one you are talking about seems to make sense...please keep us posted about your progress.

I also think that gentle leaders are good training tools...I bought them though and never used them because my dogs couldn't get used to the feel of them ...they kept rubbing them and bumping them...they were so distracted by trying to get the darned thing off, that they couldn't focus on anything else! Glad it is working well for you, Diane, I do hear really great things about them for training purposes.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Gentle Leader is the way to go. My trainer says the body can't go where the head can't go. In others words the gentle leader gives you control of the head. A harness gives the dog more strength over you it is leading by the strongest part of it's body.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Easy Walker harness is made by the same people that make Gentle Leader, a company called Premier, I think.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What a timely post - I was just checking PetSmart's website today about the gentle leader. I think I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for sharing the information!

-Melissa

·
Registered
44 Posts
Gentle Leader - Halti

Hi, Dulcie is 7 months now and we have always used the gentle leader and although it worked great for keeping her calm and not tugging, she still didnt get used to the feel of it on her nose despite now wearing it every day for her roadside walks. We have now recently bought a Halti, which again works on the same concept, but is loose around the nose unless they pull. She can then still loll her tongue, pant, etc, which she found more difficult with the Gentle leader. The Halto also comes with a mini lead to attach to the normal neck collar should she work it off her nose or if it came loose for any reason. She now walks beautifully with NO rubbing her face, and is also happy to sit quietly and acutally manevure her own face into it, which is great.

http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/halti.php
[/url]

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Dakota also doesn't like the nose band, Jac, and tries to paw it off. We had to buy two gentle leaders within two weeks because Dakota got hold of the first one and made sure we couldn't use it again :roll: ! Another potential good training aid that is coming out is a collar by Ceasar Millan (Dog Whisperer). I guess it's due out the end of this month. It forces the collar into the correct position on the neck.
Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Today I purchased the gentle leader and WOW what a difference. Leno has been on one walk so far with it and the change was amazing...but I wanna know from other people who use it....do you keep it on your dog all day or just for walks?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Brooke, I use the gentle leader on Niki. I could not walk her or take her anywhere without it. I do not leave it on her though, she would get it off.

Jac, Niki absolutely hated the gentle leader when I first got it and started using it on her. I had the same problem with her not wanting to pay attention to me for trying to paw the gentle leader off her head. I'm so glad I was persistent with it, she will still paw at it occassionally but all I have to do is tell her to "leave it" and that is it. She is a totally different dog with the gentle leader on. I LOVE IT :)

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
The gentle leader is actually a training tool so we only have it on Dakota for walks. I think the under the chin lead (to be technical, the "hangie down part") could actually get tangled up in something and trap a dog so I would definately take it off when you're not using it. It is a life changer for walks though, isn't it?!! :D
Diane (and Dakota)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts