Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dogs that are 4 months old or even less are getting de-sexed so they can be sold at 9-11 weeks already desexed. Any known negative effects such as incontinence (especially females)?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
yes , there can be problems
incontinance and potential of bone cancers
that why i dont do ESN
not to mention the anesthetic and surgical risk
I will try to find the links that helped me come to this decision if i get a few later

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Well not going to get in to a debate this is just my opinion.

They have been doing early spay/neuters in the shelters for years and years most people just don't realize that.

2nd for every person you find that disagrees with it, you can find someone that is for it so just keep that in mind. That is the way of the world with everything, we are all not going to agree on every issue whether it be this one or shipping, or vaccinations, etc.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Linda

I was not argueing with you are anyone else,
I have stated the truth as i know it
and has been proven to me over 30yrs in dog breeding,
these are not shelter dogs we are talking about ,,these are family pets that people purchase and if there is a potential risks as a result of a certain procedure, i do not feel we should take a chance that this could cause problems later in life,
I appreciate your insight, not sure why you would feel a need to say it
I have as much right to state my opinion and observations as anyone, i hope

·
Registered
207 Posts
There are risks associated with a spay/neuter regardless of the age.

My Copper was an early S/N. He is doing great!

On the other hand, my sweet Gracie, Golden Retriever puppy (4/5 mo), died on the table during her spay.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Was there a discernable reason why she died??? A reaction to the anesthetic?
Oh my, I am so sorry! I can't imagine how awful that must have been!!

It scares me a little, as I have an appt for Coco end of November.....
She will be a year old by then.....we had thought about breeding her, but decided not to.

Again, I am sorry for your loss.
:cry:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Nancy, Jane, Sue, and Mary, Thank you for your words of comfort. It has been over five years now, but at times it seems like yesterday. It was an awful day and it took me a long time, and medicine, to recover.

Jane, please don't be nervous about getting Cocoa spayed. The only reason I even mentioned Grace in this thread was to show that the risks are real no matter what the age of the pup. Grace had made it through the surgery but her heart stopped while she was being awakened.

Anyway, here is a picture of my Amazing Gracie Girl. November 5, 2001 - March 8, 2002.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Vicky that is so sad - I'm so sorry for your loss.

I guess it's like anything...I mean there is probably a 1 or 2% chance (I'm making those numbers up) of something going wrong during any "routine" surgery...

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I'd say early spay/neuter is probably just like the same arguments (in principle) regarding circumcision

I 'd say it's a personal choice as to when with PROS and CONS no matter the age

Jettsmom...i am soooooooo sorry to hear about Gracie

·
Registered
985 Posts
lmtoth2 said:
Vicky that is so sad - I'm so sorry for your loss.

I guess it's like anything...I mean there is probably a 1 or 2% chance (I'm making those numbers up) of something going wrong during any "routine" surgery...
My dad, who was a general practitioner physician, always said that there was no such thing as "minor" surgery. I recall how awful it was when something went wrong during "minor" surgery for varicose veins with a friend of his. But this was a long time ago, too.

Consensus seemed to be to wait until about six months for spaying, so we just had Chouette done since she was six months on October 10th. Medical practice does seem to go through cycles, though, doesn't it? And people are just as convinced each time that that's what HAS to be done.

So sorry to hear about Gracie, Vicky, and what a beautiful little pup she was. You never quite get over that kind of loss, do you?

Leslie

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thank you all for your words of comfort. Gracie stole my heart quickly. I still have all her toys and puppy stuff packed away and have not allowed any of the puppies/dogs that have come after her to play with them. All the other stuff was fair game but not her things. Silly, huh.

Anyway back to the topic of ESN. I will say that as an owner, not breeder, I loved, loved, loved, the convenience of receiving Copper already neutered. Not only for not having to go thru the agony of waiting thru his procedure, but he doesn't have any of the undesireable behaviors* associated with male dogs. He has never humped, he doesn't lift his leg, he doesn't mark, he doesn't sniff, sniff, sniff certain body parts. Is that attributed to his early neuter? I can't say for sure, but all of the other male dogs I have ever owned, all neutered later, displayed some or all of these behaviors.

Oh and for Jac and Tallady. Copper doesn't crotch bump. :lol:

*edited to replace bad behaviors with undesireable behaviors.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
No actually that has nothing to do with early spay
My poodle didnt lift his leg until he was 2yrs old, he was bred when he turned a year
as far as humping that is showing dominance, sniffing is how dogs great each other

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Nancy, I am aware of the "why" of the behaviors. What I am thrilled about is that Copper is not inclined to display any of them. :D The sniffing I was refering wasn't the greeting sniff, but the excessive, annoying sniffing I have observed in other dogs. That is why I posted sniff, sniff, sniff. :wink:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts