Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my 11 week old puppy's ears were dirty. I took him to the vet and with a scope we discovered he had mites. The vet said that mites were not very common in dogs. He gave a medication and I have a return appointment in one month. Has anyones dog had mites?

Also, my puppy is white. His skin though is really pink. I haven't noticed any changes but the vet tech wanted to do a skin scraping. My puppy had lice when we got him from the breeder. Now, I am wondering, should I have a skin scrape sample done.

Any advice, will be appreciated. Thanks to the great doodle parents on board.

Susan

·
Registered
215 Posts
Susan-
I'm sorry to hear that your pup has mites! It's a bummer! My 9 month old pup had some spots in her ear where she had lost hair, and it turned out she had demodex mites (demodectic mange). I'm assuming your dog has "ear mites"/sarcoptic mange? What is the medication the vet prescribed??
I would say no to the skin scraping right now, and wait until the treatment is done in a month. Your pup just might have dry/red skin and need a good oatmeal shampoo! I would guess that the skin is pink because it is trying to get over the irritation of lice, or now irritated by mites. Depending on the type, mites can be anywhere on the puppy's body, not just in the ears. I would probably see how things go with the medication, and if its not better in a month, talk to the vet about a skin scraping.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. My puppy has ear mites, but, he has not been tested for mange. The vet gave him a treatment in his office. He will not see the puppy for a month. The vet did recommend I give my puppy benadryl for itching for a couple of days. If he does not seem better I am supposed to take him back next week some time. So, we will just have to see and rule things out one by one I guess.

Thanks.

Susan

·
Registered
377 Posts
Toby had ear mites when I got him. I noticed that he did not like for me to rub his ears....they had not yet developed the dirty waxy appearance. One bottle of drops cleared him right up and I haven't seen any further sign.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Dogs can get lice, isn't that gross?! It's my understanding that they are species specific (as most little buggers are) and dog and cat lice are not the same as head lice in humans... but I wouldn't take the chance!

Susan, to clarify- Mites cause mange. Mange is the dermatitis as a result of a mite infestation. There isn't a different test for mange. That's why I was wondering about the skin redness being linked to the ear mites. "Ear" mites, despite the name, can live anywhere on a dogs body. Hopefully the medication will clear it up.

Bridget and Summer

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh my, I am calling the vet back. My puppy, Biscuit, has not had a day without some kind of pest on him since we got him. I feel for him. He does seem a bit better but still itchy. I am going to get all the DX and then I am reporting the breeder to the animal welfare service in his town. To think he would let puppies live with all these pests makes me steaming mad.

Thanks.

Susan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts