Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I know this topic has been covered MANY times already, but I was wondering if there were any other signs of an ear infection other than smell?

I'm the only one who smelled Napa's ears from day one to make sure that if it changed, I would know. I THOUGHT that was a GOOD idea.... until I developed a cold about a month to a month and a half ago, which I haven't been able to shake.... so, I haven't been able to smell for the past month or so.

I've noticed that Napa is scratching at his ears more than he normally does, but I wouldn't say its "over the top". But he also enjoys us scratching his ears, which isn't normal either. He's never been the dog who, if you scratch behind his ears, he's your best friend. If you scratch his neck, that's different, but not his ears.

So any advice for this scentless person would be great!

Thanks,
Kristen

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Do you clean his ears? I clean Tanner's monthly and one time the cotton square was brown and yucky. It wouldn't be unusual for Napa to get a yeast infection if he is on antibiotics for his surgery.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Uma loves a good ear scratch too and not only when she has an ear infection, but anytime. I'd look for excessive head shaking and rubbing her face and ears on furniture.

Unfortunatly, Uma gets ear infections quite often, but we have the medicine the vet gave us at home and give it to her ourselves. I'd only bring her into the doctor if it lasted a long time or she seemed weepy or weak.

Napa sounds like a hell of a trooper so I'm sure he'll kick it in no time.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to admit that we don't clean Napa's ears as often as we should. But he has been rubbing his head on the floor a few times.

Thanks for the additional signs! This cold is killing me! We're going to Davis on Monday to get his stitches removed. But, we're seeing an orthopedist, so I don't think I can ask her if he's got an ear infection. >.<

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
If Napa continues to show signs that his ears are bothering him then I would definitely ask the vet to take a look. The vet won't want any chance of complications wherever they are and I am sure the vet is well aware that antibiotics can allow a yeast infection to start.

In the meantime, you might want to do a search on the fourm, there have been some great discussions on cleaning ears.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I rinse out my dogs ears twice a week with either Chlorahexidine or simply Hydrogen Peroxide, clean and absorb the excess with a cotton ball then finish with a Q tip no more than an inch into the ear and swab. This tx was suggested by two vets to help her recover from a bad case of ear mites (which cause that funky smell). She's shaking her head less since I started and the smell isn't so foul...mtd
BTW Davis is a great vet school!!!!! I'm sure you will meet someone there to check the ears...m

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Kristen besides odor with lots of head scratching

does Napa have any redness like a real deep pink to red color inside the ear? do you see brown gunk? and Lastly does the ear feel really warm inside?

And remember if a ear infection gets real bad as one person found out this forum it cost them $245 to treat an ear/yeast infection that really set in

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Napa doesn't have rein of the house yet. We go again for another check up on the 9th.

When he went in for his stitches removal, they checked his ears and he had both yeast and bacteria infections in both ears.... Anthony's been doing the treatment for it since I've been gone.

Thanks for asking!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
glad to hear Napa is being treated and hope his ears clear up asap

1 - 12 of 12 Posts