Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes me too Mary as one of my vacuums just died and
my built -in has never lived up to my expectations.
I still have a very good Kenmore but I need another for downstairs
and before I fork over for the Dyson I was hoping someone here
owns one :wink: :wink:

G

·
I just bought the Bissel lift off and I love it. You can take the tank part off so it is easier to sweep stairs, furniture, baseboards, whatever. It works for me and was only $170

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
How is the Bissel to clean? Does it use bags? Mine gets clogged every time with my and my cat's hair (Tim doesn't have much and Tanner doesn't shed)

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I was looking at the Dyson, but couldn't justify the cost. I have a Eureka Boss Smart Vac. It has the Hepa filter system and uses a bag. I read up on bagless and realized I would rather just throw out and replace a bag rather than having to empty a chamber. It was less than $150 and it works well - I've had it for about a year.

My friend has a Dyson and said it works well - we just have more floors than carpet so I didn't think I needed a really fancy vacuum.

G

·
No it is bagless and I too have a cat that leaves hair everywhere. No clogs yet (had it since Aug) and it is very easy to dump the chamber. Slide a lever pull out dump and put back in.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
We have friends that have a Dyson and they said save your money. It works great on regular dirt but the dog hair gets caught in the brush wheels and they have to take the brushes off to clean them out often. They even got the one recommended for dog hair. (They have a German Shepherd and a Great Pyrenees)

I have another friend that cleans houses for a living, and she said to get a vac with the bags. The bagless ones clean alright, but emptying the vac's are a real pain. The dust it creates while dumping is not good for those with allergies and you will have to dust that room again in the hour it takes for the dust to settle.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
hmz819 said:
No it is bagless and I too have a cat that leaves hair everywhere. No clogs yet (had it since Aug) and it is very easy to dump the chamber. Slide a lever pull out dump and put back in.
Heather I also have a Bissell "cleanview" 12 amp, 7 cleaning levels, slide lock to empty container.

I really do like this vac, got it when I still had one lab and it sucked up her hairs without a problem, then had Macy for 3 months when the kids were building and she sheds awful, no probs picking up her hair either. Hankiepoo has short course boxer type fur and it sucks that up to, so overall I'm very pleased with it.

As far as "dumping" the contents of the container, I lower it into the trash can and gently turn it over, have never had it come back up at me, if you are really worried about the dirt coming back up you could step outside and dump it into a grocery sack and put in trash can. I don't have cats so not sure how it would do with cat hair. It does vacumn linoleum fine also

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies and as you know
since I have nine cats, I need something that will pick up a
lot of cat hair. Denver does not shed but the nine cats sure do.
I was going to buy the Dyson that is for "Animals" but after
reading Cinsmom post will save the money and just buy another
Kenmore. That is what I have for upstairs and it is with bags
and although it is pretty good, the hype of the Dyson's just got me to
wondering. This forum is awesome for all kinds of questions.
Thanks again...............

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Cinsmom said:
Yeah, I wondered how far she was from the lid of the trash when she was dumping it, but I figured she knew more about it than I did.
LOL - DH found out the hard way that you can NOT dump it from top of trash can - what a mess he had to clean up :lol:

the filters are also washable on my vac, just take out run under water til clean and I set in sun to dry

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Sue....
If you are going to spend the money invest in an Electrolux. In the forty plus years I remember my Mom cleaning she had only TWO Electrolux vacuums .... canisters both. Her first one never did quit, and we used it in the basement! The second on was just about to give up the ghost when we sold the house ... it was at least 32 years old!

Mom was a very thrifty lady ... but when it came to vacuums she had to have an Electrolux! My sister is the same way and has owned two in 28 years and I am heading in that direction ... am just waiting for the current one to quit!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sue I have also been curious about the Dyson. I've been holding back a bit merely based on the price. I was very interested in the handheld as Cooper drags in a lot of leaves and such into our sunroom. So I broke down and bought it. It's the Root6 model I believe (it's the only hand held they have.) But based on this little powerful unit, I'll be running up to my local Target to buy the big one! It's wonderful. This handheld is particularly great to run around, pick up odds and ends and then you're done. When I sweep the room Cooper thinks it's a game and it turns into quite the ordeal. The little vacuum quells that!

So anyway.....long winded way of saying I'd buy one (and will very soon.)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have the Dyson DC14 Animal vac... I absolutely ADORE it! They aren't supposed to clog, but the rare times it has happened it wasn't because of dog fur, but because of the fuzz from destuffed toys. But even THAT isn't a hard clog to fix because all the parts are easy to get to. The hose is amazing and stretches all the way up my tall staircase.

And because everything is so easily washable, you don't get that old bag smell that older vacuums tend to get...

JMO - I love my dyson! Check out any of my pictures that were taken in my living room... most of them have the dyson in the background!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Hmmmm . . . we do have a Dyson and love it! We bought ours at Sam's Club and it wasn't that much more than any other good vac. Not only does it work really good but it's light weight and very easy to manauver into tight places. Don't know how well it would tidy-up after nine cats . . . :shock:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Cooper2mom said:
Sue I have also been curious about the Dyson. I've been holding back a bit merely based on the price. I was very interested in the handheld as Cooper drags in a lot of leaves and such into our sunroom. So I broke down and bought it. It's the Root6 model I believe (it's the only hand held they have.) But based on this little powerful unit, I'll be running up to my local Target to buy the big one! It's wonderful. This handheld is particularly great to run around, pick up odds and ends and then you're done. When I sweep the room Cooper thinks it's a game and it turns into quite the ordeal. The little vacuum quells that!

So anyway.....long winded way of saying I'd buy one (and will very soon.)
I read on their site that the handheld only has a 6 minute run time - how long does it take to recharge it? I'd love a handheld for my stairs and a few spots that a reg vac are hard to reach with

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I am so hard on vacuums as i USED to vacuum daily for years...so i've gone thru numerous vacuums.

i am not much help regarding a Dyson...dont' own one.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts