Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lady called yesterday and said the vet didn't do any testing, but that she "thinks" it may be a virus. Duster had a fever, which we already knew. She proceeded to tell us that they are giving him antibiotics.

So, my husband pointed out that usually they don't give antibiotics for viruses, but for bacterial infections. To which her reply was "well, maybe it's that too."

So, then he told her that we really need to be kept informed and the dog needs to be tested because we have a dog at home who was drinking out of the same dish and chewing on the same bones. We also have a son who was playing around the puppy all week. He said it would be irresponsible to not have any idea about what they are treating and then expect our family to perhaps suffer any repercutions as well. She said she understood, but we'll see. I'm not overly confident. She also said the dog still could not walk well. (Like I expected an overnight miracle because I dropped him off there!) :twisted:

Our vet volunteered to call their vet, but she has not told us who that is yet.

So, overall, we're really no futher than before. Other than treating the dog for an unknown and untested ailment. Which seems backwards in my eyes.

We also requested that he be kept outside a little bit because clearly the lack of sunlight was bad. (DUH) she said she'll see what she can do "I mean I do let them out...." We figured we advocate as long as we could until she either excommunicates us or sends us the check.

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG :twisted:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Have you considered calling animal control and asking them to go over for a surprise visit to check the condition of ALL the animals? I wouldn't be surprised if she never took the poor pup to the vet at all. I'd want documentation that he was being cared for.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We will be sending a letter to the county humane society/animal control. It will be backed up by our vet who has agreed to give a statement along with our letter. We have not sent one yet, because we are afraid it would lead to less care for the dog--because somehow I doubt it would lead to more unless conditions were so unbareable that they took all the animals away. However, I think she's just doing enough to get them by, which is always that thin grey line.

I wish that state laws allowed for more strict standards.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
You are doing exactly what I would go in your circumstances. I really do respect your determination to get Duster the care he needs.
I suspect that these pups have never seen a vet. That's why your vet can't get the info.
There are many good breeders who give their own shots and conduct some of the procedures a vet will conduct (removal of dew claws, tail docking, etc.) and although I would not be able to do the "cutting" procedures, I am trying to learn how to do shots...with my vet's blessing and assistance!
Yet, there are those, and I presume the breeder you are dealing with, who feel that they know everything about how to care for dogs and don't feel a need for vet care unless there is a dire emergency...if then.
I might suggest that you contact them one more time. That you tell them this is your final request for the information, and again request the name and contact info of their vet, telling them that you want them to give you and your vet permission to view this particular dog's health records, along with the parent records...if they refuse, then contact animal control.
You see, there are laws regarding this, but the problem lies in how far the animal control department and public are willing to go to enforce them.
Curelty to animals stands out as a number one issue for me.
The problem is that some states really don't care about animal law. They have no serious regulations beyond leash laws and dog bites.
It is a shame.
I hope that you are able to not only save Duster from this horrible fate, but that you also are able to get this breeder to open his/her eyes to the situation around them and maybe jolt their conscience.
Best wishes!

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm so glad that you are still in there advocating for Duster. I've been concerned about what they would do with him. I share with Jac a certain skepticism about whether he's seen the vet. I could not agree more strongly that you make one further request for the vet information, and then unload it to the Animal Control people. I feel so badly for poor little Duster. Hang in there, you are doing the right thing for Duster.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts