Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Funny you ask, just happened to me this morning. Layla used to do this alot, and now still every once in a while.
My vet suggested giving her a small bit to eat before bed. He said that some dogs don't do well on an empty stomach over night.
I now cut just a bit out of her daytime meals and give her about 1/2 cup only at night, just enough to have some substance in there over night. She only does this maybe once a month now, or less.
Might be worth a try, other than that, maybe mention it to your vet. Doesn't sound serious if everything else is fine all day.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
kumo does this too whenever he goes too long between meals -- he has done this ever since he was a little puppy (he's now 2 years old). we usually try to remember to give him a snack in the evening.

-em

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ditto here with our doodles doing that as puppies

night time snack is one help
other is not letting them gulp water first thign in morning

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner always leaves some kibble in his bowl and eats it after his bedtime walk. He also will vomit bile if he gets to empty :wink:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Tyke has done this a couple of times, but in the middle of the night. I'll hear her gagging, but nothing comes up. Then she will let out a huge burp, and go back to sleep. I have noticed that it usually happens when she doesn't eat all of her food as well - how strange! :shock:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Chucker said:
Funny you ask, just happened to me this morning. Layla used to do this alot, and now still every once in a while.
My vet suggested giving her a small bit to eat before bed. He said that some dogs don't do well on an empty stomach over night.
Our lab KC use to do that. Our vet said that it was common in labs and does have to do with having an empty stomach for too long a period of time. We started feeding her something at night before bed and it took care of it. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Hershey will do that on an overly empty stomach, like if we sleep in on weekends and she goes more than 13 or 14 h without eating. We give her a little treat on friday nights in bed to try to avoid that.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Ozzie's on three meals a day. He was waking up at about 3 or 4 a.m. with the heaves and puking bile. He now gets a half cup of food just before bedtime and the heaving is totally gone.

Now he just wakes up at 3 or 4 a.m. to do a Doodle 500.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Maybe an empty tummy is why my feline baby Eugene throws up in the morning...
Or because he eats Sam's food too much.
He does often like to wait until I'm home from school to yak on the carpet...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thank you for posting this!

My puppy randomly with throw-up and it's always in the middle of the night. I'm going to give her some food every night and see if that changes it around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts