Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning Dexter must have scared or steped on Kirby and Kirby snapped/lunged at him and totally freeked out Dexter. Dex tried to climb up on the bed to get to us (for protection?). We got them up and went outside and Dexter would NOT go near Kirby. Kirby tried to get him to play, but Dex wasn't having any of it. He pretty much ignored Kirby all morning.

Hopefully Dex will forget about it by this evening - or we'll have to get them into some counceling or something :wink:

Does anyone else w/2 dogs ever have this happen (a "argument")?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Poor Dexter .... Poor Kirby! I can offer no help, but hope peace and harmony are restored soon!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Lucy and her sister Maisy have had two or three aggressive scuffles but they only last about 5-10 seconds and they are done. Must be something to do with who's the boss. After a minute or two they are back at being best friends.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Once Cinnamon and her BFF Sarah got into it over a ball. Once it was over, they avoided each other for about 20 minutes. Then they were back playing again, with out the ball. I would say that give Dexter time, he'll get over it. Kirby is probably wondering what's got into him! Siblings!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Awwww Poor Dexter

we had 2 labs, litter mates - Mollyann was always the dominate one, by the time they were 5 or 6 months old Heidipooh was quite aware of that and there were no tussells - even though MA was about 20 pounds less than HP

When Shelle and Mike got married we stayed at their house, we still had Pooh, their dog Macy was 1 yr old - a few times she went to far with Pooh (who was 10yrs) and Pooh snarled and snapped - Macy backed off for about 20 minutes then came right back to her.

Hopefully Dex will be fine tonite, Kirby prob just scared the heebeejeebees out of Dexter

Let us know how they do

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it seems all is forgotten and forgiven. Dex and Kirby played fine and we went on our walk together and no issues. I think they both scared each other.

Random question - can dogs see much better in the dark than we can or are they more like us and have some problems?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have always heard that they have better night vision than we do-- but Striker HATES moving around in the dark, and I don't think Napa's too coordinated in the dark either. So I don't know. But Striker is a bizzare dog, and Napa's still a puppy!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Awww, I'm glad they're buds again! It's always best to let them work out their own differences if possible. Dogs have MUCH BETTER night vision than we do!

Here's the science lesson:

Dogs appear to have glowing eyes at night because the back of their eyeballs include a special reflective layer called the tapetum lucidum. This helps animals see better in low light by working like a mirror on the retina to reflect the light back through the eyes, giving them a second chance to absorb the light. Ever see your dog's eyes "glow" in low light? The colors seem more visible at night because the pupils are dilated wider than during the day, allowing more of the tapetum lucidum to be visible.
This partially explains why when you get your developed photographs back the subjects have glowing spots in their eyes. This is caused by the light from the flash traveling through the pupil and illuminating the blood-cell rich retina at the back of their eyes.

The secret behind so-called "red-eye-reducing cameras" is that they use two quick flashes instead of one. The theory being that the first flash will cause the subject's pupils to restrict and let in less light, while the second will be used for the actual picture.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Leslie...glad to hear things are once again back on track :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Glad they got over their differences. :)

As far as seeing better at night, I don't know. I have noticed Cali is better behaved and will walk behind me on the leash when it's dark instead of forging ahead. She seems less sure of herself and would rather I meet up with the boogeyman first! :shock:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
They probably went to a quiet corner and talked it out when you weren't looking. Glad to hear they're playing again....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts