Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've been gone awhile, but I'm back for a couple of days. Today I realized that we have had George and Gracie for 1 year, this week! They are a little over 14 months now and their coats are still changing, but take a look and tell me what their coloring is, please.... Are they chocolates with highlights? Cafe au lait?

We are crazy about these doods! It has been a handful to raise littermates this first year, but they are the joy of our days. Go to my gallery if you want to see them one year ago. It's hard to believe how much they've changed!

Bragging,
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h189/ ... G_1573.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h189/ ... G_1595.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h189/ ... G_1599.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h189/ ... G_1614.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h189/ ... G_1621.jpg

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm trying again.... George and Gracie one year ago:

and today:

Grace a year ago:

and today:

George a year ago:

and today:

Amazing, isn't it?

I look at everyone's photos and love to see all of our babies growing up. Enjoy. Lisa

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Lisa, they are beautiful! My son loves their high-lighted faces. How big are they? They look tall. It is so much fun to see the changes. I'm not sure Toby will have the noticable changes that your 2 and Lani have had, time will tell. :)

This was Toby when we got him at 11 weeks

Here he is now at 6 months with really long legs!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Lisa, I have a question about the electric fence collars. Have you ever noticed sores or burns on Gracie or George's neck? We have stopped using the fence for now Toby has had a bunch of sores on his neck where the probes sit and the fur is discolored. We have not seen any on Lani, but she has so much more fur.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I have a lab, an f1 and a poodle with the collars and one has the stubborn one and I dont have any sores. we have been using it for two years. I do remember reading it could be possible in the manufacturers literature so I very frequently take the collars off. They get like two days or three days on then a day or two off. If I see them inching to close to the flags then the collar goes back on. Also because it is a noise thing more so at this point I don't put them on very tight unless someone has recently pushed the boundry.

·
Registered
689 Posts
They are just so huggable! Its amazing what a year can do.

Lisa R, I may never get a picture of Archie posted...I'll just send people to look at Toby. They are identical. Down to the coloring on their hind quarters. Next time we both make it to a Doodle Romp we'll have to be sure we end up taking the right Doodle home!
As for collar marks, we keep the collar pretty loose too. I haven't seen any marks on Archie or Chester.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
oh my gosh, George and Gracie are ADORABLE! Nice to see YOU too, Lisa...holding Gracie.

Hey Diane don't you think these 2 look like your Nikki and Virgil's Bear? :wink:

About color....I would say they have blonde highlights, as opposed to being cafe aulait. I could post a pic of a puppy that is or seems to be turning cafe, if I had more coffee running my brain :wink:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Let's see if I can do this:
www.doodlelane.com is Waito's site, and their girl "Maddy" or "Madelyn" is from my Sheba and Virgil's Bear. SHE is a true silver beige, or cafe aulait, or even what ILA calls "Lavender" I believe. You can see her on Rachael's site, but lets see if I can post her picture from there, but first here are 2 as Maddy was growing up to show the changes in her coloring in the first 2 years:

Maddy at 8wks:

Maddy after growing up a bit - Rachael gave me this picture:

And here's a picture from Rachaels website, where I see she calls her "Lavender"

the direct link to that picture is http://www.doodlelane.com/ourgirls.htm
(link:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Ooooooh Maureen! She is so gorgeous! I had no idea you were getting lavendar dogs! I can't believe she got so light! Look how dark she was as a baby! (A beauty then too!)

Sheba is the mother...who is the daddy? Wow...so pretty!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
well, thanks Jac. Sheba is black as black can be, but she clearly carries the (d) gene (dilute) as we always got blues and cafes from her when we bred her to Virgil's Bear. Bear came from a cafe aulait poodle, with excellent bloodlines, so of course, the 2 of them and their (d) trait came together in some of the puppies.

While I'm at it, here's a boy from Maddy's litter.... at 8wks and now at 1.5yrs:

This boy was a personal favorite of mine... so sweet and mellow.
Would you call him BLUE? Or SILVER?
(I think there's actually a lavender tone to his coat, personally, that I do not see in the chocolates that are called lavender)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Well, you certainly have beautiful babies! This really helps to show how they grow up too, eh?
I am very impressed with the way your pups silver...it is a beautiful trait!
Mmmm, mmmm, mmmmm....lovely!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all your sweet comments. I have to say that being able to see the different photos right next to each other is a real tear jerker. I'm as bad as when I used to look at my kids' school photos and watch them grow up!

Lisa, we have used the stubborn dog collars on George and Grace for about 6 months. Grace has a really thick undercoat and needs the longish probes. She's also the one with the mad desire to chase our neighbors' sheep! George has the same collar with shorter prongs. We take the collars off when the doods come in to stay for the evening and overnight, but otherwise they wear them. I've not found any sores, but we have begun to keep the collars pretty loose since they are now so responsive that all they need is to hear the "warning" sound and the little vibration that comes with it. They never get the static anymore.

I wonder if sores could come from an allergy? If the probes aren't surgical steel, I would think some doods would have a reaction to the metal, just as people do....?? Has anyone heard of this?

If the collar is causing burns, though, I would not use it anymore....I would say that's a malfunction or something. I've never known the probes to even get warm...

I would love it if we could start a thread that shows our puppies when they were babes and how they look grown. I agree, one of the most fascinating things about doods is how much they change in appearance. Anybody else up to post some pics?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh, and thanks Maureen, for the color diagnosis.... I never know what to say when people ask what color they are. I usually end up saying "They're THIS color!" I wonder if they will darken over the winter when they don't get so much sun?

Lisa, George IS tall. He's abour 27" at the shoulder and weighs in at 73 pounds: very lanky and poodly in his build, but with that blocky labby head. Grace is 24" and weighs 65 pounds, but she's lot's fluffier than George.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh, and thanks Maureen, for the color diagnosis.... I never know what to say when people ask what color they are. I usually end up saying "They're THIS color!" I wonder if they will darken over the winter when they don't get so much sun?

Lisa, George IS tall. He's abour 27" at the shoulder and weighs in at 73 pounds: very lanky and poodly in his build, but with that blocky labby head. Grace is 24" and weighs 65 pounds, but she's lot's fluffier than George.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts