Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/dis ... d=10063254

Snow is a four year old, white, de-barked standard poodle mix. We are thinking the mix may be a Labrador.

Snow is very friendly and outgoing. He loves attention but is very good at entertaining himself with toys. Snow is current on all his vaccinations, neutered, micro-chipped, housebroken and crate trained. A fenced in yard (not electric fencing) is required. If barking may be an issue in your home, Snow may be the dog for you.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/dis ... d=10029951

Storm is a four year old, black, de-barked standard poodle mix. We are thinking the mix may be a Labrador. He currently weighs 55 lbs.

Storm loves attention and would be a great companion for someone looking for housemate. Storm is current with all his vaccinations, neutered, micro-chipped, housebroken, and crate trained. Storm is a very sweet and sensitive dog that, with a little patience and guidance, will be a wonderful dog. A fenced in yard (not electric fencing) is required for this rescue dog. If barking may be an issue in your home, Storm may be the dog for you.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/dis ... d=10187401

Charlie is looking for a family with older children. He is very energetic wanting to play all the time. His perfect family will have someone home most of the day and willing to take him to training. He is adoreable and a very nice boy. Just about 1 yr old. Our organization offers 24PetWatch microchips, which include free registration into the 24PetWatch pet recovery service. For more information visit www.24petwatch.com or call 1-866-597-2424. This pet also comes with 30 days of pre-paid pet health insurance. For more information please visit www.sheltercare.com or call 1-866-375-PETS.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
dreamer728 said:
lmtoth2 said:
What does it mean to be debarked??
I believe they actually sever the vocal cords so that they can't make more than a quiet whisper noise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debarking

:(
OMG!! I hope that isn't what they mean......How cruel.....I am beyond words........I physically feel sick!! Who ever would do that to a dog should be "de-barked" themselves!! :shock: :x :evil:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gene said:
OMG!! I hope that isn't what they mean......How cruel.....I am beyond words........I physically feel sick!! Who ever would do that to a dog should be "de-barked" themselves!! :shock: :x :evil:
Gene, I know and I agree. It's so sad, especially since obviously it was a behavior problem, since the 2 dogs are now up for adoption. And by behavior problem, I mean owner problem. I have learned that it is 99% always the dog owner's fault for problem behaviors - and all those poor dogs probably needed was a little guidance and training.

Now they have been silenced...and are sitting in a shelter wondering what they did wrong.

If our house wasn't so small, I'd rescue them both - Snow and Storm. They are probably sweet lovable dogs just waiting for the right person =(

I wonder if that is a procedure that can be reversed.

Debarking
Surgery on the dog's vocal cords, called debarking, can be done to reduce the barking to a whispery sound. This is a controversial practice, banned in Britain and other places. Some vets will refuse to do the surgery. The dogs do not stop barking. They do not seem to notice the difference, or at any rate continue "barking" as if they still made the noise.

There are different ways to perform the surgery, and it is possible for the vocal cords to grow back and the dog to regain its bark. If the vocal cords are cut, chances are the cords will heal themselves. If they are cauterized, the operation will last longer. Whether it is over a period of weeks or months, it seems that many dogs eventually regain use of their vocal cords.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
That's what I was afraid it meant - how terrible :( I know I get frustrated w/ours for barking but those poor dogs have no way of communicating now :(

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DebBrown said:
Talk about heartbreaking... check out this poor girl who was rescued near me:

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/dis ... d=10211299

Deb
Oh my god...how can people be so cruel...?? That makes me sick...she's beautiful and should not have had to live that life...

what makes it worse is that there are thousands of dogs just like her...

:( :(

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes a vet does perform the procedure. and it seems highly unethical to me. it should be illegal IMO.

·
Registered
100 Posts
dgeggis said:
I may be naive, but wouldn't a vet have to perform this procedure.
That would seem unethical.
Unfortunately, I've read this - and some more graphic and horrifying things on some websites -

At some puppy mills, however, it is reported that debarking is accomplished by shoving a large, metal pipe down a dog's throat. This is done to destroy the folds of tissue that close the windpipe and allow the animal the bark normally. Done this way, debarking is accomplished without anesthetic, and can result in severe complications, including death.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
This thread is making me very sad. I hope all this poor abused dogs find loving forever homes. It just makes me ill to think someone would do these things to any creature. :shock: Group hug!!!!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am absolutely heartbroken over this thread! I love this forum, but I hate hearing all these horror stories. I have gotten to where I just quit reading when they start going down this path, I guess sometimes ignorance is bliss!
Where is Oprah to save the world when you need her???
And what Vet would perform such a procedure! :twisted:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I also have heard of breeders who do debark their adults. I do not think this is a wise decision. They still bark, but it sounds like a very hoarse cough. I just don't see anything positive about it. There are other ways, such as training, bark collars..etc., there are many things out there. I myself, just think surgical debarking is cruel. But, that's my opinion.

Trina
www.tiggerdoodle.com

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I've heard a dog that's been "debarked' and it sounds like a hoarse bark. I think it's very cruel and quite stupid. Why do this? This is part of who they are. You can train a dog not to bark. People just want the easy way out.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I think DEBARKING is ignorant and wrong.......with a little time, patience and training most dogs can be behaviorally modified.
positive reinforcement goes a long ways.

shame though a dog gets debarked-----it's part of their nature and their way of talking.

·
Registered
558 Posts
This is a sad posting...BUT.. on Feb 12 th was sarted by Dreamer, who is educating any person who would love an adult Labradoodle to rescue...
I wish I had tons of land or I would rescue these cute Labradoodles, & they are close to us...
I wonder if they were puppy store purchases...You would think that if they were from Breeders then the close relationship you form with your customers , would have led them back to the breeders to assist in rehoming...
It is for the individual looking for an older labradoodle who is allready house trained at least...hope fully someone will see this post and act on it...miracles happen every day.
Thanks for the giggle Dgeggis..that was coffee shooting out of my mouth fun-Neee

1 - 20 of 24 Posts