Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're new labradoodle owners and new to dog ownership in general.

'Though not Minnesota, Wisconsin can get pretty cold (10deg F on the thermometer this morning).

What precautions are needed for cold weather and how cold is too cold for a 20 or 30min walk?

Thanks!

·
Registered
260 Posts
we live in Ann Arbor, MI and don't really take any special precautions in the winter with our doodle, except that we let his fur get pretty long in the winter. kumo seems to really enjoy the cold, and i'm guessing the cold would get to us before it would get to him! i feel like any temperature i can handle for 20 or 30 minutes, he can handle too, especially if we are exercising.

here are a couple photos from last winter -- we haven't had enough snow yet this winter for photos like this!

-em

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Welcome Bill. I put a similar post up just now(Double Duty). Maybe others could give us advice. I was ok in high single digits, but heavy minus degrees I plan keeping the walks real short, get him to do his business and get back inside. As I said, common sense is probably the rule here.

Using this forum is agreat way to educate yourself in Doodle/Canine arena. Plus the folks I here are a lot of fun as well. It is a great resource for info as well as enjoyment. I have learned a ton, with a similar dog background as yourself. Don't forget to use the indroduction post to tell about your dog and yourself. A pic or two would be good too. Folks in these parts sure do like seeing Doodle pics.

Welcome and enjoy

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Hi Bill !

Welcome to you and your Doodle, what's your Doodles name and be sure to post pics !

We live in TN, don't get a lot of snow nor temps below freezing for long periods. Some people use booties and/or sweaters for their doggies.

One thing you need to be sure to do, if you take your dog out and they walk on sidewalks or streets that have been salted - make sure you wash their paws, legs and under bellies off with warm water when you get home, our neighbors dog got very sick last year from licking his paws after walking :(

Annabelle, loves cold weather though, she will go outside and run around or just sit and watch the world go by when it's 30, but get about 70 and sunny and she is in the A/C, def a cold weather baby.

Kumo you sure are a sweetie !

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
A dog uses food converted to energy to stay warm. You have to do nothing special except feed a little more if they are out for any extended periods. Now all the spoiled doodles on this site will probably have another answer but that is the real one!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
movistar said:
A dog uses food converted to energy to stay warm. You have to do nothing special except feed a little more if they are out for any extended periods. Now all the spoiled doodles on this site will probably have another answer but that is the real one!!!
movistar is right, that is why when it gets colder out your doodle sometimes wants more food: they need it for energy and warmth. I Pray Peanut doesn't read this hahahaa she's still on a diet

I also use the rule if i am getting cold bundled up like a snow bumble then ME and DOODLES go back in the house.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
MaxandMe
movistar is right, that is why when it gets colder out your doodle sometimes wants more food: they need it for energy and warmth.

I Pray Peanut doesn't read this hahahaa she's still on a diet

And how are you going to refuse that cute face when she wants more food to keep warm :wink:

·
Registered
21 Posts
And what about boots? Does anyone use these? Milo developed a limp last week and I'm pretty sure it's because I overran him, but today it crossed my mind that he might just be hopping like that to avoid the cold ground or the salt.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Hi and welcome the advice is right on for the weather, and we do enjoy seeing pictures and bragging about our doodles.

(And what about boots? Does anyone use these? Milo developed a limp last week and I'm pretty sure it's because I overran him, but today it crossed my mind that he might just be hopping like that to avoid the cold ground or the salt.)

If he keeps limping you might want an X-Ray just to rule out anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts