Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my little tangent off of Annie's post about Tanner and visitors. The longer we have Kirb the more I learn about his little oddities. There is a dog in our training class...if he can stand next to her he's totally fine and barely has any interest in her. However if we are separated he has several fits throughout class. It seems like that which he cannot have bothers him.

I observed the same behavior with visitors...my parents were over last weekend and when they were out front (had not yet opened the glass door, Kirby was barking like a madman at them. As soon as they came in, he went and sniffed them and was totally fine.

Anyone else experience this? I don't know if it's something we should work on and if so, how to work on it?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thing I find odd is that he is crazy when he can't physically get to something or someone...once they are right there he is happy...sniffs and "meets" them and goes about his business. It's the whole throwing a fit when he cannot get to something I find interesting and possibly an issue.

·
Registered
331 Posts
It's probably a self esteem issue. He sees a potential "threat" but can't react to it in his own way, hence the actions. I'm not sure how to train him out of it.... but perhaps someone else will :oops: :D

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's an interesting theory Kristen. I never know if he's afraid of things or wants to play with them :shock:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Manchego also throws fits like this. We are training both dogs to heel right now and if I am working with Manchego and my husband goes ahead with Brie, Manchie will bark and cry every time I make him stop and sit because he pulls ahead. He also does this when at the dog park if we make him wait until he is calm to let him in and Brie gets to go ahead because she is being good. It's like a doodle temper tantrum like you've said before.

I wish there was some way of easily communicating with them that if you do X then you will get what you want!

We have class again tomorrow morning. I will ask my trainer if she has any tips and let you know.

In the book 'at the other end of the leash' the author writes about how dogs have to build up their patience and also get used to not getting everything they want. It sounds like Kirby and Manchego both need to work on this! :D Not sure how old Kirby is but Manchego is 13 1/2 months ... she said that younger dogs take more practice w/ patience.

I'll let you know if I find out anything new tomorrow.

:)
Sarah

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what you said is very intersting Sarah - Kirby is definitely not patient :) We try to work on it with him (i.e. sit/lay and wait before we throw a toy, sit/wait before he gets dinner). When he needs to go potty he acts like if he doesn't go that second it's the end of the world. I need to find more exercises to work on patience :) He'll be 2 mid June.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts